NCIH1466

OT - Air Compressor PSI

Finally got my 2 stage air compressor hooked up and plumbed into the barn and shop. Being used to an old, loud, oil-less single stage compressor, I'm excited to have higher PSI available.

That said, what do you all (or shops) run for PSI in your/their systems? I have filter/regulator at the compressor. Was thinking perhaps 140?

I run mine at 175 and then have a regulator that I quick connect inline if I want lower pressure for any reason. 
its nice having the high psi for blowing things off and the impact guns actually have some power. Done it like this forever and never hurt anything. 

4 minutes ago, 65806 said:

I run mine at 175 and then have a regulator that I quick connect inline if I want lower pressure for any reason. 
its nice having the high psi for blowing things off and the impact guns actually have some power. Done it like this forever and never hurt anything. 

Thanks for the response and the idea. I could buy 1 or 2 regulators and connect them as and where needed to reduce the PSI.

Appreciate it!

My compressor puts out air at 150 psi, which is adjustable.  Air going to the sand blasting cabinet is reduced to 95 psi.  

I keep mine at 175 psi in the tank with the outlet regulated down to 125 or what ever lesser pressure the job or tool calls for.  That delivers the most air between refills.

I keep my two stage compressor set at 150 it reduces cycle time and my air tools work just as good at 150psi

Thinkin my 2 stage shuts off at 175 and starts at 140 or 150. It seems to keep up well. One note on your dryer. If you have yours like mine and mounted right on the tank it's not doing much.  I believe they claim you need approx 10' of line before it can properly condense and be useful. Mine hardly ever has water in it so it must be plausible. Having said that its not very handy in my shop. Auto body guys usually build a deal where the air line goes up the wall and back down a few times then mount the dryer. I just put an inline dryer on my paint gun. Its kinda in the way at times but helps. I'm only painting tractors and such. 

Just remember, the higher your psi, the harder the compressor has to work.  Simple physics...it takes more energy to raise pressure higher.  So while your # of cycles may drop, as there is "more air" in the tank, the compressor is actually doing more work to get it there.   Both of my compressors are getting older, one barely makes 115, the other 140.  I've had to turn the cutoff down slightly to keep them from just running.   The 115 PSI one needs replaced...its not enough to fill semi tires!   

The cfm of the pump has more to do with how well it keeps up rather than your psi. Granted on light loads the higher psi will take longer to kick on by a bit, but if your doing a job using a lot of air you will still out run your pump capacity if it doesnt make enough cfm. And just cause its a 2 stage doesn't necessarily mean its big enough. 2 stages come in different cfm too. Have seen 3 cyl single stages with higher rated cfm than some 2 stage pumps. I would go with whatever the manufacturer set it at myself. Or slightly higher if your gonna bump it up. Say no more than 25 xtra psi at most. Jmo.

175 psi forever. Truck buddy runs one like this big for lots of work a screw type maybe be better. When you run a one inch impact or outside sandblaster it takes air

B8976D89-D677-429B-A73E-B927CE533183.png

4118ADC9-C157-4986-ADF0-76A3FEBF7A3A.png

Well, I bought a twin headed, twin motor Quincy just like the champion pictured above for $35 at a farm auction last year. I didn't need it and was only trying to get the bidding started. 1 compressorhead had been replaced with a new Quincy, but both of them seemed to work fine. I gave it to a friend of mine who is a diesel mechanic for some work he had done for me.  I might have kept it if I'd known it was worth that much!

Have thought about making a twin head compressor myself. Had one at moms that tank went bad and one at my place went bad also. Both 2 cyl single stage 3 hp motors. I cut the mounting plate ,motor and compressor of both and junked the rest. Bout as far as i got tho. Lol. The 60 gal upright i bought used that would only turn part way over i pulled the head and sanded the rusted cyl and it just keeps running. Tho it does use a bit of oil as the rusted cyl was pretty pitted.

7 hours ago, dale560 said:

175 psi forever. Truck buddy runs one like this big for lots of work a screw type maybe be better. When you run a one inch impact or outside sandblaster it takes air

B8976D89-D677-429B-A73E-B927CE533183.png

4118ADC9-C157-4986-ADF0-76A3FEBF7A3A.png

I got the champion one and another cheap 10 hp compressor you can never have to much

17 minutes ago, Thesd5488 said:

I got the champion one and another cheap 10 hp compressor you can never have to much

Truck buddy has one that is made in Kansas. I think American or something like that. We have an old worn out aluminum compressor that makes lot of noise. Four motors but original compressor still works going on close to 40 years now.

WOW....25HP compressors. And I thought my 5HP on the Quincy was powerful!

Appreciate all the posts. Going to run a higher PSI in the system then use a regulator/ at the quick connects for reducing the PSI when needed or to at least capture the moisture further down stream.

So excited about this (sorry it doesn't take much). It's going to be so much easier now to fill up the tires that require 110 PSI.