Sign in to follow this  

Ice covered 1466 popped right off yesterday

Been using this one on the grain vac all fall. Hate that it sets outside so much but dont have a choice right now. It wont fit in the shed on the farm its at right now. But I ended up having to chip the ice off the throttle linkage before it would move and also chipped ice off compresor blet just to be safe. Gave it a real short burst of either and she popped right off. When I saw my tractor I rememberd a picture on here a long time ago that I saved. I dont recall now who posted it. I think it will be the second one in the post. My cab door was froze shut as well. Had to get in the RH door. After we got the semi loaded the heater had melted enough ice I could get it open then.

20200112_083728.jpg

20200113_061543.jpg

• Like 2

That's a binder for yah. Coldest nastiest day and they pop right off like its warm out. After that is when they like to moan and groan and squeal like a panther until oil gets moving. 

We used to take new 10's and 1466's off the semi at -30 below.

Dump in 5 gallons of pure #1 fuel and screw on an ether can.

Throttle wide open, hit the starter, get them rolling over and hit the ether button.

They would start, pickup speed and you then throttled back to about 1200 rpm.

Then the hydraulics would start to moan.

We never had one fail.

A John Deere wouldn't do that.

• Like 3

Dan, when I first saw this topic my first thought was that you were parking it outside after that fire you had awhile back.   I know you sure were gun shy about too much equipment parked in one shed if a fire broke out.

32 minutes ago, nepoweshiekfarmalls said:

Dan, when I first saw this topic my first thought was that you were parking it outside after that fire you had awhile back.   I know you sure were gun shy about too much equipment parked in one shed if a fire broke out.

Yep, still am gun shy about that. Always wanted a big shed to put everything under one roof but not anymore. But no, this tractor is always fitted with a spray boom and saddle tanks in the summer. On the grain vac quite a bit in the winter. So it sets outside alot. It has a cab so it aint too bad to move around on the road from far to farm. Also the vac PTO shaft will actually lock on to this one. The other 1466 and the 5288 got the short 706 style 1000 RPM shaft and lock collar wont lock.

This is off topic, but how did harvest go for you this year Dan ?Were crops late in your neck of the woods? Did you have to fight any snow or mud?

My 190xt allis will start and run on 3 cylinders then do the whole pickup rpm thing till its running on all 6. Kinda a spooky feeling it sounds like its running away for a couple seconds. It will only do it when it gets below 10 degrees. Our 1026 however will start no heat or spray down to about 10 degrees no problem, down to about -10 with a sort burst of spray. The 190xt unplugged at -10 is get the jumper cables and at least 1 whole can of ether + a torpedo heater and a tarp! Been there done that before. Our 4760 better bring a generator and plug it in or the heater and tarp if it gets below 15 degrees out. 

7 hours ago, redturbo said:

What is bolted to the frame rails?

He mentioned spray booms are mounted to this tractor during the growing season so my guess would be frames for the spray tanks.

10 hours ago, Cool1566 said:

This is off topic, but how did harvest go for you this year Dan ?Were crops late in your neck of the woods? Did you have to fight any snow or mud?

It was a fight. Especially beans. Didnt cut any beans below 13 till the last 3 or 4 days. Got done with corn the 8th of december. last 4 days of that went pretty fast after we teamed up with a friend of mine. Took out his 190 acres and sons 90 them 4 days and the 190 acre farm had to be hauled about 25 miles. Had 3 semis, two combines, two grain carts and about 8 guys a couple of days. The last farm we finished was Bronsons home. Had to wait on the dryer there and dry it and fill semi at the same time as dry holding bin was full.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, redturbo said:

What is bolted to the frame rails?

Its a bracket for saddle tanks.

15 hours ago, Diesel Doctor said:

We used to take new 10's and 1466's off the semi at -30 below.

Dump in 5 gallons of pure #1 fuel and screw on an ether can.

Throttle wide open, hit the starter, get them rolling over and hit the ether button.

They would start, pickup speed and you then throttled back to about 1200 rpm.

Then the hydraulics would start to moan.

We never had one fail.

A John Deere wouldn't do that.

Screenshot_20190224-082114_Google.thumb.jpg.c609ec002de9079404599f6d5e72737f.jpg

• Haha 4