vtfireman85

What can anyone tell me about this oil cap on my M?

It has IH stamped into the casting and also used to be yellow. 

The M is a 42 and yellow appears nowhere else on the tractor 

B9F50420-9DDE-443B-AB5B-E1393ACBDA5D.jpeg

It screws on and off. Were prone to breaking if tightened up too much. Could have been easily changed before

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

the yellow is primer before painted red

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ksfarmdude said:

That would be my guess also as the engine block on my 806D has some yellow showing thru also.

2 hours ago, bitty said:

It screws on and off. Were prone to breaking if tightened up too much. Could have been easily changed before

That was my thought, that or forgot to put it on and lost it somewhere. 

Gold Demo?!?!

Travis

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, ksfarmdude said:

The IH doesn’t match the vintage of the tractor it’s on. All the other castings are IHC. The Yellow is brighter than any primer I have seen, and there is none of it elsewhere on the tractor 

So your asking if it maybe came off of a later model something else, like off a bulldozer or power unit, correct?  (I certainly have no idea.) 

2 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

Looks just like the oil fill cap on my 400.

I guess I am wondering if it is typical of an M, perhaps off an industrial, or if it’s just some random cap. Perhaps the casting numbers were indicative?

also consider the possibility of replacement parts,make into the 70's

as bitty said easy to hand over tighten and break with wrench to remove .....or the next one is too loose and fell of

Probably a newer replacement. Does anybody know when the IHC logo was replaced by the IH on this cap. That would give you an idea of the age of the cap. 

12 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

The IH doesn’t match the vintage of the tractor it’s on. All the other castings are IHC. The Yellow is brighter than any primer I have seen, and there is none of it elsewhere on the tractor 

My 656 has yellow primer used on engine and trans housings under the red but maybe that oil filler cap was off a different tractor yr 

IMG_20200111_084119636.jpg

1 hour ago, gordon76 said:

replacement cap, original 42 should look like thisIMG_2308.thumb.JPG.2a5b70a8c28c77313866c623d8936bbb.JPG

Have 4 tractors made in the fifties with caps like that.  Unusual for all 4 to be changed.  Did pick up a industrial 264 engine one time that was all yellow with logo like the original poster. Have some caps with no logo, don't know if they came that way or didn't show up because of a poor cast. All of them have the same casting number.

23 minutes ago, DWV said:

Have 4 tractors made in the fifties with caps like that. 

with the IH or IHC casting mark?

Keep in mind that back in the 1940's and early '50's FARMALL employed more foundry workers than machinists and assemblers.  Not sure if FARMALL made every casting on an H & M but they made most of them.  The paint was more correctly a SEALER,  any cast surface that touched oil, either engine, transmission, or hyd. oil was sealed so any burned on sand had a layer of sealant to prevent it from falling off and contaminating that component.  You guys that have looked into the transmission/rearend or crankcase have clearly seen what was machined after painting. Back in the 1970's each foundry had their own color or shade of sealer.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, gordon76 said:

with the IH or IHC casting mark?

Just like your picture for the  IHC. Dave

1 hour ago, DWV said:

Just like your picture for the  IHC. Dave

like i said the one he has is a replacement. The one i pictured is an original 

The yellow is a sealer used on all cast parts at the foundry to prevent them from rusting between the time they were cast and when they were installed on the tractor.

• Like 1

Ive seen plenty of tractors of multiple brands show yellow coming thru the finish coat.  My neighbor has an Olver 1600 back hoe unit that while painted green has yellow underneath.  I figured that they painted them yellow by default and since this one is green it got repainted from the industrial color to the ag color for marketing reasons.  But thats just a guess.

Industrials share a lot of parts with their ag counter parts.  Not at all unusual to see them repainted to match.

One time we lost the oil cap for the M and my dad and I went to Watertown Tractor Parts and he told the partsman he wanted an oil cap for an M and I told the partsman "Farmall!" so he wouldn't come back with an oil cap for an M John Deere. But there were few John Deere Ms around. Later we found the oil cap.

On 1/12/2020 at 10:20 AM, oldtech said:

Ive seen plenty of tractors of multiple brands show yellow coming thru the finish coat.  My neighbor has an Olver 1600 back hoe unit that while painted green has yellow underneath.  I figured that they painted them yellow by default and since this one is green it got repainted from the industrial color to the ag color for marketing reasons.  But thats just a guess.

Industrials share a lot of parts with their ag counter parts.  Not at all unusual to see them repainted to match.

Its more common then just industrial parts I've had several tractors through the years with yellow undercoat you can't tell me they have all been industrial

I would say they used yellow primer. My 1066 has the red under the front axle rubbed off from cornstalks and all and is showing plenty of yellow now.

• Like 1

Dr Evil explained that it is Glyptal a sealer put on sand cast parts after machining.

• Like 1