Sign in to follow this  
Missouri Mule

Speaking of skid steer doors

5 minutes ago, Farmall1066 said:

Depending on how you look at it! I used to work for a skid loader dealership, doors also saved some lives from flying debris, and hot hydraulic oil.  I heard a horrible story once from a contractor that came to the dealer I worked at for service on his machine.  Another contractor he knew had just removed the door from his skid loader being spring was upon us, was cleaning up a job site of tree branches and small logs and sticks.  Used the pallet forks to fluff the pile he was burning, yes stupid move, but we all do stupid things, well that was his last time, a hose split causing a fine mist that came in the cab on him and caught fire because of it being a fine mist.  Yes he burned to death by hot burning oil in his skid loader! If the door would have been on, he would have survived.  Yes skid loader would have been on fire, but he more than likely would have survived.  
Also most skid loaders have an emergency exit panel! Most are the back windows, mine is the roof plate.  Get a door if you want, it’s your machine, and yes those Gehl (Takeuchi) track loaders have a large operator’s area! Can dang near do jumping jacks in the older machines!!

I have an older New Holland, L785 to be exact, I need a door also, they are impossible to find, I think I’m just going to get some 1/4” plexi glass and make some pin type hinges to hang it.  

Exactly. Imo brush hogging guys take wood shrapnel to the knee or chest all the time. This way I could slide the door on or take it off. 

2 hours ago, IH Forever said:

This is what I always do when I need to work on something with the boom up.  But the question I've always had....and I know I'm just slow.  But when I'm done working I release the boom lock, then I need to go under the boom to get in the skidloader to lower the boom.

If it is designed so it drops in place when you raise the loader, there should be a spring to hook up so when you lift the loader up it pulls it away from the cylinder and you can then lower the boom down then get out. That's how my mustang is, and the bobcat at work. But over the years guys take that stuff off and who knows if it's there when you're buying used. And I realize some are designed different too. Deere has the best boom lock I've ever used. Can do it right from in the cab 

17 minutes ago, Missouri Mule said:

Exactly. Imo brush hogging guys take wood shrapnel to the knee or chest all the time. This way I could slide the door on or take it off. 

I would never do any bush work without a door. And definetly prefer a plexi or polycarbonate door

A buddy in work with tried to and finally gave up. Said it's just too dangerous. After the second or third chunk that about took his knee off he parked it. I told him I'd give him $1500 for it 😂

22 minutes ago, db1486 said:

I would never do any bush work without a door. And definetly prefer a plexi or polycarbonate door

Skid loader brushhogs always seemed sketchy to me. I like them well below me and behind just seems safer...

28 minutes ago, db1486 said:

If it is designed so it drops in place when you raise the loader, there should be a spring to hook up so when you lift the loader up it pulls it away from the cylinder and you can then lower the boom down then get out. That's how my mustang is, and the bobcat at work. But over the years guys take that stuff off and who knows if it's there when you're buying used. And I realize some are designed different too. Deere has the best boom lock I've ever used. Can do it right from in the cab 

Mine are this way. Spring and a L shaped handle that swings up or down. 

On 1/7/2020 at 9:26 PM, dannyredfan said:

DO NOT GET IN OR OUT Of a skid steer with Booms up.  PLEASE.   It happens now quick 

I was going to say the same thing. Person in our neighborhood got killed that way.

ALWAYS put boom down when leaving seat.

56 minutes ago, mader656 said:

Skid loader brushhogs always seemed sketchy to me. I like them well below me and behind just seems safer...

I actually prefer them. I run a 15' batwing and a 5' skid steer one at work. Both got they're place but the skid steer one has much less debris flying towards the cab. It all gets shot out the front of the mower. I'll take a skid steer mower over 3pt any day

If you want a nice, rigid, professional looking door, I would use square tube. Angle iron will always be flimsey floppy. As far as weather stripping goes, they make D shaped adhesive type strips. You would need to add a few tabs or a continuous strip to attach the window. 

On Tuesday, January 07, 2020 at 7:03 PM, 1586 Jeff said:

About a year ago a fellow that I knew was climbing into/out of his skid steer with the arms up and got crushed.

The arms drop RIGHT NOW FAST when a hose ruptures!!!

Please lower the arms before entering/exiting a skid steer.

It really screws up the people that have to clean up your mess!!

This is probably  highjacking this thread but in 2013 I bought a new JD 2210 field cultivator. It has a valve you turn to lock up the implement. I don't understand  why this seems ok to engineers. My 960 had cylinder stops. With that valve you have several feet of hose to the cylinder. I will say that any darn monkey can lock it up with that valve but there many things that could fail dropping the implement on you. By the way, this is the only Deere piece of equipment I have. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, tractorholic said:

This is probably  highjacking this thread but in 2013 I bought a new JD 2210 field cultivator. It has a valve you turn to lock up the implement. I don't understand  why this seems ok to engineers. My 960 had cylinder stops. With that valve you have several feet of hose to the cylinder. I will say that any darn monkey can lock it up with that valve but there many things that could fail dropping the implement on you. By the way, this is the only Deere piece of equipment I have. 

Same as balers. Our Hesston 5580's all had cylinder locks. Then we bought a 5585 and it has a lockout valve. I took the cylinder locks off the one 5580 we wrecked and put them on it. Why they changed I have no idea, but like you said, a lockout valve is useless if a hose between it and the cylinder blows!

7 hours ago, Missouri Mule said:

Mine are this way. Spring and a L shaped handle that swings up or down. 

ive owned 3 of this same brand and none of them nor the manual show any springs or additional pieces to the locking aparatus, i will get pix and show you guys 

as for the door - mine was cheap/easy/functional and plenty rigid and not floppy it weighed considerably less than my current door just because the one i ahve now is glass and larger adn holds the windshield wiper motor and wipers and reservoir - i would not run a mower on a SS w/out a door not so much because of flying debris when mowing but when lifting it to trim higher up branches that is where they sling something if you dont have the angle right etc.......very very handy to drive forward mowing and not get a kink in your neck like on a tractor backing up - keeps a lot of weed seeds and pollen off you too

found this in my safety manual, takes two people 😉

Lowering
This job must be carried out by two people, one operating the machine controls and one standing beside the machine on
the left-hand side removing the loader arm locking device.

Enter the machine, fasten the seat belt and lower the seat bar
Start the engine, press the lift/tilt lockout switch and raise the loader arm slightly so that the loader arm locking device comes loose.
Raise the seat bar. Loader arm controls are now deactivated.
Person standing beside the machine, remove the support device pin and stow the loader arm support device onto
the loader arm. Walk away from the machine.
Lower the loader arm.

I wouldn't trust a door on a skidloader to protect from flying debris. My cousins husband was killed in a skidloader accident 15 years ago when a sapling broke through the bullet proof front door and broke some ribs puncturing his heart. 

A simple angle iron door with the lexan or plexiglass glued with hiviscous eurethane to the angle would suffice fine for keeping warm. It WILL Not hold up no matter how heavily it is made if it is driven at all with the door open. Any of the newer skid loaders have an electric switch that kills the loader boom so that if the door's not shut the loader cannot raise up and ruin the door. It's very common for the doors to knock it not get latched quite and then they vibrate open and if your loader is where it will damage it it will be totally un useable

17 minutes ago, bitty said:

I wouldn't trust a door on a skidloader to protect from flying debris. My cousins husband was killed in a skidloader accident 15 years ago when a sapling broke through the bullet proof front door and broke some ribs puncturing his heart. 

A simple angle iron door with the lexan or plexiglass glued with hiviscous eurethane to the angle would suffice fine for keeping warm. It WILL Not hold up no matter how heavily it is made if it is driven at all with the door open. Any of the newer skid loaders have an electric switch that kills the loader boom so that if the door's not shut the loader cannot raise up and ruin the door. It's very common for the doors to knock it not get latched quite and then they vibrate open and if your loader is where it will damage it it will be totally un useable

mine is built with that kind of a lockout on teh door - no hydraulics work when door is opened 

accidents will happen regardless how thick the lexan is - so sorry about your cousins husband 

26 minutes ago, searcyfarms said:

mine is built with that kind of a lockout on teh door - no hydraulics work when door is opened 

accidents will happen regardless how thick the lexan is - so sorry about your cousins husband 

I want to have others realize that the door may still not be enough protection in certain situations. 

Personally I think the door if it fits inside the corner with the angle iron and just a bungee cord to hook it to hold it shut. No door striker to catch yourself on when getting in and out. Could thread an eyebolt in a hole for hooking up the bungee . The simpler the better

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bitty said:

I want to have others realize that the door may still not be enough protection in certain situations. 

Personally I think the door if it fits inside the corner with the angle iron and just a bungee cord to hook it to hold it shut. No door striker to catch yourself on when getting in and out. Could thread an eyebolt in a hole for hooking up the bungee . The simpler the better

for sure - i have had trees come up between the bucket and slide up the bottom of the front of the machien below the door and penetrate the cab between the bottom of the door frame and cab housing, its kind of surprising when it slide up in there and its usually thin/pointy!!! going fast when working can be dangerous - you can be gored pretty easily with a SS. 

1 minute ago, searcyfarms said:

for sure - i have had trees come up between the bucket and slide up the bottom of the front of the machien below the door and penetrate the cab between the bottom of the door frame and cab housing, its kind of surprising when it slide up in there and its usually thin/pointy!!! going fast when working can be dangerous - you can be gored pretty easily with a SS. 

Excavator can be even more dangerous as by design it pulls things towards the operator

• Like 1

Have many ssl  attachments including 6ft bush hog & tree shear.  As I read through this thread I am so happy that I own a JCB. Exit at any boom height, wide easy entry/exit, unequalled visibility, easy access for maint, and good hvac system in a roomy cab

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 1480x3 said:

Have many ssl  attachments including 6ft bush hog & tree shear.  As I read through this thread I am so happy that I own a JCB. Exit at any boom height, wide easy entry/exit, unequalled visibility, easy access for maint, and good hvac system in a roomy cab

yes the single armed volvo/jcb have side exit doors ( love this safe design )  but you cannot run tracks on them due to the door config 😞 

3 hours ago, searcyfarms said:

yes the single armed volvo/jcb have side exit doors ( love this safe design )  but you cannot run tracks on them due to the door config 😞 

They do have a track machine though, you just can't put steel tracks over the tires

I think the bottom line on these things are this. These machines are so handy we ALL do things we shouldn't be doing. We have them in places they shouldnt be, hanging 2 times the weight off them, using them ways they were never intended. Because of this we all hear lots and lots of stories like we have been sharing on this thread. I never thought a thread about a skid steer door would have got so much attention and hit nerves like it has. All equipment is dangerous. How about our beloved H's and M's with no back rest on the seats and 1/2 of them running around without fenders (like mine) ? Been many guys fall of the back because of a tree limb and get killed. Was it the seats fault or the drivers? You decide ...  however the case my point is to me a door makes my machine under certain jobs safer. Some of you have pointed out just the opposite, which I never would of assumed, however its the truth. Let's just all stay safe on them and limit our brave skills that can get us hurt. 

• Like 1