New Englander

Salt Substitute /blood pressure

1 hour ago, jass1660 said:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alicegwalton/2014/12/11/study-is-sugar-worse-for-blood-pressure-than-salt/#98d16f725d3d

Have several friends on keto, blood pressure and weight loss numbers are huge! Grains are highly inflammatory and elevate blood pressure as well. Keto is basically eating real food only. Meat, fish, eggs, vegetables, nuts and seeds.

careful now - you mean processed grains - WHOLE grains are VERY good for you in a lot of ways for a lot of reasons including lowering BP and cholesterol due to the binding affects of the whole grain properties/fiber - eating WHOLE grains can also help reduce risk of type 2 diabetes and heart risks. 

I can attest to the BP affects personally. Whole Oats/Steel Cut are excellent, if oats are an acceptable grain for horses and laminitis as finicky and sensitive as a horse is to inflammation this is as sure as test as any and its been a long lived one for more than a century. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, exSW said:

Salt reduction may not be your answer. It wasn't for me. If you haven't had a sleep apnea study done get to your Flight Surgeon and have him order one now. BEFORE you go on BP meds.

If it’s anything like a cdl they’ll pull your license if you have sleep apnea. At least that’s what I’ve been told!

7 hours ago, searcyfarms said:

I would recommend checking into oils, i use them a lot in my water and tea and its been helping me with a lot of different things including BP 

walking is huge!!! you dont have to be a marathon runner to get benefits, any exercise is your friend so pick your activity 

That’s what I need to do! Since gone to driving truck I’m not as physically active as I was when I was farming. So consequently I’m not as fit as I was, and according to my wife I snore louder than ever before. Although I don’t think so🥱😴😇

MRS.DASH'S SEASONING.NO SALT..GARLIC AND ONION

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ihfan4life said:

If it’s anything like a cdl they’ll pull your license if you have sleep apnea. At least that’s what I’ve been told!

It's controllable and treatable. I have yet to hear of anyone taken permanently out of service for sleep apnea. Believe me I'd be collecting a fat disability pension if that were so.

4 hours ago, Ihfan4life said:

My dad has apnea, he has a cpap machine, it links to the wireless when he goes for his physical for renewal they take data from it I assume to make sure he’s using it, not sure what else they glean from it. But they did NOT take his CDL

• Like 1

I should have been dead 15 yrs ago.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Ihfan4life said:

Last week I went in for a DOT exam. BP a little high, At the end the MD says I see you checked sleep apnea, He asked if i use a machine, Yes for 23 years,never slept a night with out it. He ask did you bring the read out to show it's working. I'm PO'ed  WTH are you talking about? Of course it's working.  We need to check the log to see if it's working correctly, we also need to see if it's been checked over by your sleep MD and sigh off it fits you and doesn't leak when your sleeping he says. I will sign it this year but next year I won't. I said this is the reason some people aren't honest about issues because of Big Brother involved. I do the right thing by having a CPAP then the GD Government still gets involved and it's not good enough, bunch of bull sh3t.  I only saw 1sleep MD in 1997, I don't even have one anymore. I buy used low hour machines off the internet and reprogram it for my p setting.

18 hours ago, New Englander said:

How's it taste? Do you notice a difference?

155/95 is the max for FAA flight physical. Mine is not there but creeping towards it. I was a 120/80 guy for years. Getting old not for wimps!

18 hours ago, Ihfan4life said:

I didn’t notice any difference, but I seldom add salt to things, maybe sweet corn, but not much else. I think Adding salt is mostly a habit that’s acquired overtime and it will take time and discipline to break that habit.

I think cdl bp limits are the same as FAA license limits.

edited to add, after being on bp medicine I was surprised about how many people much younger than me are on bp medicine. I turn 55 this year. Some of these guys are 20 years younger or more😳

CDL BP is 140/90 max. Either one too high and you get a 90 day card, can't be issued two consecutive 90 day cards.

4 hours ago, 806 man said:

Last week I went in for a DOT exam. BP a little high, At the end the MD says I see you checked sleep apnea, He asked if i use a machine, Yes for 23 years,never slept a night with out it. He ask did you bring the read out to show it's working. I'm PO'ed  WTH are you talking about? Of course it's working.  We need to check the log to see if it's working correctly, we also need to see if it's been checked over by your sleep MD and sigh off it fits you and doesn't leak when your sleeping he says. I will sign it this year but next year I won't. I said this is the reason some people aren't honest about issues because of Big Brother involved. I do the right thing by having a CPAP then the GD Government still gets involved and it's not good enough, bunch of bull sh3t.  I only saw 1sleep MD in 1997, I don't even have one anymore. I buy used low hour machines off the internet and reprogram it for my p setting.

Big brother trying to “ make the roads safer” It’s just more BS coming from government bureaucracy.

2 hours ago, Maynard said:

CDL BP is 140/90 max. Either one too high and you get a 90 day card, can't be issued two consecutive 90 day cards.

If on bp meds you generally are issued a one year card. 

• Like 2

Here you go, how’s this for a no salt BP friendly breakfast?

the Jar is the “clinkers” left over from maple sugar, I always end up with a jar of them. 

3/4 cup of Quaker Oats and some maple sugar on top. 

AC76CA25-162F-466E-90EF-B1B0096F3004.jpeg

• Like 1

I stopped using salt 35+ years ago.  it was difficult a first.

didn't really take all that longer to adjust.  to me food taste 

better without salt.  I do use pepper.   I used to salt my popcorn,

but I use a microwave popper and salt doesn't stick to the popcorn

unless you use butter.  as with any lifestyle change you have to want 

to make the change.  I finally wanted to loose weight and have lost

100 lbs over the last few years.   btw you can loose weight during the

winter months if you want too.  btdt.

good luck!

Duane

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Duane966 said:

I finally wanted to loose weight and have lost

100 lbs over the last few years.  

This is fantastic! You have literally added years onto your life based on this!

20 hours ago, 806 man said:

It's not the Government. It's the Doc covering his a$$ from the Lawyers and insurance companies. Not to mention the freight carriers that employ transportation workers. My CPAP has a cell modem built right in. Downloads my usage in real time. The sleep Doc and his staff can access it at any time. So can my Health insurance carrier and I believe Occupational Health department of my employer. Come with the territory. An operator with uncontrolled sleep apnea is a danger to the general public at large. This has been tragically proven time and time again. 

2 hours ago, exSW said:

It's not the Government. It's the Doc covering his a$$ from the Lawyers and insurance companies. Not to mention the freight carriers that employ transportation workers. My CPAP has a cell modem built right in. Downloads my usage in real time. The sleep Doc and his staff can access it at any time. So can my Health insurance carrier and I believe Occupational Health department of my employer. Come with the territory. An operator with uncontrolled sleep apnea is a danger to the general public at large. This has been tragically proven time and time again. 

I'm self employed. MD said it was the Feds checking up.  Sleep apnea , Yup that be me before I got one. I couldn't stay awake for nothing. This is before I started using one. One day I was harvesting wheat and I kept falling asleep, every time I fell asleep I would turn into the wheat, wake up, back up and start cutting and fall asleep and turn into the wheat, then went on for a while so I cut close to the ground, shutoff the machine laid down in the shady side and took a 30-45 minute nab. Started cutting again when I came back to the other side where I was falling asleep there was 7-9 notches cut into the wheat about 150-200' apart so I wasn't awake for long in between. This was in 1996-7. I knew I had a problem I had been to several MD but no one made the connection. A friend of mine had the same sleep issues got a machine. he told me about it and who his MD was so I made an appointment, did my overnight sleep test. 80-90 times an hour I would hold my breath then gasp. They set me up with a C-Pap unit. No doubt this guy saved my life. I was sick 90% of the time, felt like ****. A peach of a guy to be around too. My complain is I took care of myself 20+ years ago I don't have a problem staying awake so why does Big brother need to get more involved with more BS. Next question from Big Brother will be when they see the usage why is it on for only 6-7 hours at a time. Or why are there big gaps between usage , because I have 2 exact units.

8 hours ago, 806 man said:

I'm self employed. MD said it was the Feds checking up.  Sleep apnea , Yup that be me before I got one. I couldn't stay awake for nothing. This is before I started using one. One day I was harvesting wheat and I kept falling asleep, every time I fell asleep I would turn into the wheat, wake up, back up and start cutting and fall asleep and turn into the wheat, then went on for a while so I cut close to the ground, shutoff the machine laid down in the shady side and took a 30-45 minute nab. Started cutting again when I came back to the other side where I was falling asleep there was 7-9 notches cut into the wheat about 150-200' apart so I wasn't awake for long in between. This was in 1996-7. I knew I had a problem I had been to several MD but no one made the connection. A friend of mine had the same sleep issues got a machine. he told me about it and who his MD was so I made an appointment, did my overnight sleep test. 80-90 times an hour I would hold my breath then gasp. They set me up with a C-Pap unit. No doubt this guy saved my life. I was sick 90% of the time, felt like ****. A peach of a guy to be around too. My complain is I took care of myself 20+ years ago I don't have a problem staying awake so why does Big brother need to get more involved with more BS. Next question from Big Brother will be when they see the usage why is it on for only 6-7 hours at a time. Or why are there big gaps between usage , because I have 2 exact units.

If I were still self employed I'd  not like it either. But in my case even though I'm Federally regulated most of the intrusiveness is the Health insurance. They don't like paying for it and watch like a hawk. If your use falls under the threshold they will ask for the machine back(they lease it and I will never get to own it. I'll have to buy my own.) I have no doubt that the data can and will be misused at sometime. Welcome to modern corporate America.