Sign in to follow this  
red2thebone sr

Best brand of refrigerator?

We bought new kitchen appliances about 3- 4 years ago. Against my protests wife picked whirpool stove and fridge as well as maytag stainless tub dishwasher. Drying cycle on dishwasher has not worked in quite a while. Had repair guy out last week. Controler bad. On backorder nation wide, no expected date for orders to be filled. Repair place said getting ready to supercede part or discontine when that happens. Total bill inculding diagnoses , partd and trip charge was going to be 300....if/when part is available. Stove and fridge ok so far.

Probably 8 years ago bought new ge dryer, 2 timers in 3 years. Found a low use PRE MERGER Maytag dependable care washer and dryer. Still using them.

A repair guy I know says they are now built with a 5 year design life.  Used to be 10 years  just a few years ago.  My mother got a Fridgedaire for a wedding gift in 54 and it ran for at least 45 years before she got rid of it because she could not get a new door seal for it.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Rawleigh99 said:

A repair guy I know says they are now built with a 5 year design life.  Used to be 10 years  just a few years ago.  My mother got a Fridgedaire for a wedding gift in 54 and it ran for at least 45 years before she got rid of it because she could not get a new door seal for it.

That is what the sales lady at sears told us about the washer and dryer. 3 years when off warranty by a new one.

• Sad 1

We live in a throw away world today, build it with cheap Chinese parts, make it good enough to fail just after the warranty expires and charge outrageous prices for parts so you'll go buy another new one. Anyone price a shovel handle lately, just as well go buy a new shovel.

On 1/7/2020 at 4:42 AM, Tonyinca said:

Now we have a 6 month old Sub Zero , we'll see how this lasts, Wife says its suppose to be the best ?

Tony

Wow,  Probably built right here in beautiful FITCHBURG, Wisconsin, a Madison suburb.  Actually a better chance it was made at their plant in Arizona.

SON worked for them as a temp for close to a year.  I would say the Sub-Z is able to be worked on, repaired, because the refrigeration system is accessible, on the top.  But I refuse to pay more for a fridge than the sticker price of my first brand new car I bought, '77 Firebird Esprit, 301 V8, auto, power brakes, steering, tilt cruise. Ordered it the day before Thanksgiving. The transport it was shipped from Warren, Ohio on got stranded at a truck stop in Indiana and didn't get to the dealer till middle of Feb.

Anyhow, not sure the Sub-Z is the best but IS the most expensive.

16 hours ago, bkorth said:

We live in a throw away world today, build it with cheap Chinese parts, make it good enough to fail just after the warranty expires and charge outrageous prices for parts so you'll go buy another new one. Anyone price a shovel handle lately, just as well go buy a new shovel.

hammer handles are worse its like 50cents different, I bought one last year only cause I figure my old hammer head was better quality than the whole new one

had not bad luck with appliances but i'm not picky on brand and color, I have a old harvest gold Kenmore my grandma had in the late 70's still working away in the basement  

17 hours ago, bkorth said:

I tired to buy a new pumpset for my air compressor. Nope. More than a compressor.

Also I would add, that consumer brands tend to be cheap, but others not so much. I bought a Speed Queen washer and dryer years ago. Same entirely mechanical design (no electronics) they'd been making for eons, and the things are bulletproof. But they don't sell them at Lowe's and Best Buy, and they're pricey.

Those washers and dryers of the 50's that lasted for decades, how much did they cost in today's dollars? Likely a lot more than most of us are used to spending. Our consumer culture has gotten to where the vast majority are only concerned with the purchase price, and cost of ownership is not a consideration. Hence, prices went down and quality with them.

• Like 2

Yeah, if you want big box store price, expect big box store results.

17 hours ago, Cattech said:

You could always go commercial. I need a new fridge too, I've been limping mine along with a 1/2 lb of R134A every 8-10 months. Your thread reminded me to take a look at what's available and I googled commercial refrigeration.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/13421/reach-in-refrigerators-and-freezers.html

Delfield under counter.

international cold storage walk in

if ya want to go commercial

we are installing a Vulcan convection oven in our kitchen remodel

got 4 of them for sale,,,no bites yet.

if you get 3 yrs out of a residential unit you are doing good

Mike

1329605.jpg

2 hours ago, Mike H said:

Delfield under counter.

international cold storage walk in

if ya want to go commercial

we are installing a Vulcan convection oven in our kitchen remodel

got 4 of them for sale,,,no bites yet.

if you get 3 yrs out of a residential unit you are doing good

Mike

1329605.jpg

Have that one in the kitchen at church.  It kicks butt for sure, no idea what I would do with it at home though.

10 hours ago, red211 said:

Have that one in the kitchen at church.  It kicks butt for sure, no idea what I would do with it at home though.

I would make pizza if it were me, my wife would probably bake cookies, but would need a stool (she’s awfully short)

On 1/8/2020 at 12:20 AM, Cattech said:

You could always go commercial. I need a new fridge too, I've been limping mine along with a 1/2 lb of R134A every 8-10 months. Your thread reminded me to take a look at what's available and I googled commercial refrigeration.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/13421/reach-in-refrigerators-and-freezers.html

In any of the commercial stuff make sure you check clearances, lots of that stuff is intended to be out in the open, and being crammed in a cabinet is going to cause issues for it in terms of air flow. 

I will also add that for anyone with pets, dismantlement of the compressor area of your refrigerator and thoroughly vacuuming on an annual basis will extend life and enhance performance greatly. Hair and dander gunk things up in there and it can’t cool properly. 

57 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

I would make pizza if it were me, my wife would probably bake cookies, but would need a stool (she’s awfully short)

Pure convection doesn’t work well for pizzas. Father-in-law had these stone bottom now brother-in-law runs pizza shop. My wife made taco pizza the other night using her dads recipe. When fil was alive he would make cookies in oven, when he wasn’t open in the morning but getting deliveries and making dough. They actually heated most of little place with just the gas oven also.

F6747822-6E02-4D7F-8C7E-403A9F10EFD0.jpeg

74B3546C-4C56-4037-828E-BD662EAC5ABE.png

6F033D3F-5068-4CF7-A394-561BD672BD31.png

no wonder people make brick ovens that are wood fired holy cow!!! $$$$$$$$

On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2020 at 1:47 PM, KWRB said:

Also I would add, that consumer brands tend to be cheap, but others not so much. I bought a Speed Queen washer and dryer years ago. Same entirely mechanical design (no electronics) they'd been making for eons, and the things are bulletproof. But they don't sell them at Lowe's and Best Buy, and they're pricey.

Those washers and dryers of the 50's that lasted for decades, how much did they cost in today's dollars? Likely a lot more than most of us are used to spending. Our consumer culture has gotten to where the vast majority are only concerned with the purchase price, and cost of ownership is not a consideration. Hence, prices went down and quality with them.

YES! My wife the laundry nazi killed three washers in ten years. $893.00.dollars later I brought home a Speed Queen commercial. The next week I brought home a Maytag commercial dryer. So far so good.

• Like 1

Repair surveys generally rate refrigerators in this order:   Best:  Two door top freezer (by far the best), 2nd Two door bottom freezer, 3rd Side by Side and last the 3 door.   My own appliances are a 21 yr two door Whirlpool refrigerator, a 20 yr GE gas range made in Mexico, 30 year old Maytag washer and dryer.  From what my daughter tells me, keep the old Maytag washer going as long as possible as the new washers have been ruined by EPA requirements, they don't wash, or rinse and break!

We sell appliances out of our store front, and from experience, Lorenzo is correct, find the one with the price point, features and appearance which suits you the best. Honestly the stuff built today can make it 10+ years, but those examples are fewer and further between than once was. 

Not to mention that brand names are just that, a name. Infact there are very few manufacturers anymore especially familiar, once Made in the USA. You may see a Made in the USA with Global materials decal on a Friedrich unit, but anymore they are complete junk. GE and LG seem to be the more popular products, and usually give the least amount of fits, but I will say that any new residential appliance today is essentially overpriced scrap material. Goes along the lines others say about a throw away society.

Hope you enjoy your fridge tho! Off to a good start with the IH decal. Might even get a few more years out of it thataway 😉

We just bought a new KitchenAid fridge in October. It's a two door with freezer at the bottom. So far so good. We really like it.