Sign in to follow this  
red2thebone sr

Best brand of refrigerator?

Refrigerator decided to die today. 15 year old Samsung so guess it didn't do too bad. Caught it in time and didn't lose anything. Transferred it all to the 40 year old Hotpoint in the basement.

So, who makes the most dependable refrigerator these days?

I don't know if there's much difference in most brands. Nothing wrong with a Whirlpool, is there?

• Like 1

IH!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I'm not sure there is a good one anymore, too many electronics. You'll get good and bad reviews on just about every brand out there , I've heard to stay away from LG and the next person will praise them. We had really bad luck with our last Maytag, lasted 6 months and died, they fixed it three times and finally gave up after a year and a half and gave us a new one. It was good for a couple years until the ice and water quit working , replace this computer board and that computer board with no luck, put the old stuff back on and one day about 3 months later it just decided to start working again. I was told that Maytag really took a dump when Whirlpool bought them, I haven't heard anything bad about Samsung yet.

In my experience the old school white fridge, cheap, ugly, covered in ugly pictures of the last 17 family reunions, freezer on top fridge on bottom style outlast all the rest.  Those things keep on truckin and the Bluetooth and WiFi enables stainless fridge of awesomeness only makes it 5 years before it has the ice maker go nuts and flood the kitchen!

• Like 3

Well.... we are going to find out!

just bought an LG , have had a LG washer and dryer for more than 15 years with only some minor repairs i did myself. Previous fridge was a Maytag, made it 7 years and compressor died . Several of the interior shelves had broken as well so we decided on a new one. Time will tell....

Buy a lot of cheap ones for dormitories at work, they aren’t much good either. Just throw away appliances. 

14 minutes ago, lightninboy said:

I don't know if there's much difference in most brands. Nothing wrong with a Whirlpool, is there?

We have a 5 year old whirlpool that just junked out, 

• Like 2

Maytag is just a name anymore. No quality at all! It's a typical whirlpool.

Our Hotpoint fridge is a 1987...not saying anymore as not to jinx myself. 

1 hour ago, vtfireman85 said:

IH!

I saw this thread and thought the exact same thing 😂

• Like 1

my GE dryer is 54 yrs old, my kenmore washer is 30, my whirlpool is 28, my kenmore dryer is 30, ( two sets one in barn, one in house ) my toaster is 50 something, made by the company before toastmaster in booneville, mo - one fridge thats 35 no clue on what brand its my deer fridge every fall, whirlpool 22 and another thats 7 crosley freezer 15ish they have 10yr compressor wty - wont see those numbers out of the new stuff they are designed to fail now days. 

• Like 1

I don't know how old our Frigidaire is but it was second hand when I bought it in 1960 or 61.   Never figured any GM product would last that long.  Have a slightly newer one in the basement but don't recall what brand that is off hand. 

Well I’m too late to this thread but my two cents worth these days is to just buy the one you like the looks of with the best warranty regardless of brand . 

None of them are going to last anywhere near as long as they used to. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Started with G.E. Profile , not trouble free, switched to Samsung better.

Now we have a 6 month old Sub Zero , we'll see how this lasts, Wife says its suppose to be the best ?

What happen to my Mom's old Kalevenador  (sp) lasted forever.

Tony

9 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

IH!

X3

Every one I have seen is still working. I am sure some don't work anymore. You will want to have cheap electric rates though as they are not as efficient as today's junk. 

Here’s my fridge.  Samsung with IH conversation kit. 382975BF-B8EC-48AB-A00C-CA998FA36118.thumb.jpeg.a3dea380438e6cf1c1155966b236413a.jpeg

• Like 7

We bought I think a Frigidaire. It didn’t last overnight 😱

The place we bought it from replaced it with another one and it’s been a good refrigerator. 7 years old+-

I agree with Lorenzo on this. Buy what you like.

We special ordered a narrower Whirlpool side by side 12 years ago.............Still working for far.  I think alot of these appliance issues are more from the environment and the builders scaling the insides as big as they can get them, which means the componenets are stuffed under them.  I pull mine out and blow the coils underneith out 2x a year, and even though the house is cleaned top to bottom every week, the dirt on the coils is so bad I have no idea how it works.................Mine is in a '70's home with no built in area for the fridge, I could not imagine a fridge in a place like the one pictured above....tight on both sides and only fresh air access is the front.  The poor things must just cook..............

1 hour ago, 65806 said:

Here’s my fridge.  Samsung with IH conversation kit. 382975BF-B8EC-48AB-A00C-CA998FA36118.thumb.jpeg.a3dea380438e6cf1c1155966b236413a.jpeg

needs a black stripe

11 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

IH!

I opened this thread to ensure that someone chimed in with this obnoxious and totally unhelpful response. Glad I didn't have to be the one to do it!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, lorenzo said:

Well I’m too late to this thread but my two cents worth these days is to just buy the one you like the looks of with the best warranty regardless of brand . 

None of them are going to last anywhere near as long as they used to. 

That is verbatim what my appliance repair guys say.  We have 3 washer and dryer in the barn for towels.  Continual repair b/c HD use.  OF 3 repair guys we use they all say 3 thing exactly the same. 

1. Maytag is the worse brand of products in America for decade plus now and care 0 about repairs/parts. 

2. Get 10-20 year old Whirlpool variants (which is 75% of the market) and repair a couple times since they are so much more reliable.

3. For the house buy new and get the warranty plan for at least 5 years.  And you know what?  My dishwasher was weirding out, warranty approved repair guy came.  Said it was plugged in some sprayers so he took care of it.  Warr expired in 2 months, he then ordered a new control brain under warranty since he said it WILL die soon.  I set it on shelf and thanked him.  Guess what quit last week 3 months later out of warranty?  Slipped in new board myself and voila she works again.  Fridgidaire model.

It is even getting hard to find usable older models for barn.  Esp Gas since they all now run elc here.  Friends has fancy Duet model set, washer died.  The gave me the dryer.  Like 5 years old in a home.  Lasted 6-8 weeks in barn.  Repair guy who we mainly use laughed when I called.  "I told you buddy!  Board prob doa and its 400 bucks.  Go on CL and find another."  We are buddies with all 3 local guys now since we see em quite a bit!

12 minutes ago, KWRB said:

I opened this thread to ensure that someone chimed in with this obnoxious and totally unhelpful response. Glad I didn't have to be the one to do it!

I added a helpful response too 😁

12 hours ago, TomH said:

Well.... we are going to find out!

just bought an LG , have had a LG washer and dryer for more than 15 years with only some minor repairs i did myself. Previous fridge was a Maytag, made it 7 years and compressor died . Several of the interior shelves had broken as well so we decided on a new one. Time will tell....

Buy a lot of cheap ones for dormitories at work, they aren’t much good either. Just throw away appliances. 

We have had good luck with an LG....

The guy that sold it said they are the ONLY ones that can put an ice-cube through a door with any consistency. (I partied with the guy in High School, so we have known each other a LONG time) :ph34r:

Mike

Have LG Fridge Gas Range and front load Washer Dryer.

All work well, at around 10 yrs old.     Id buy LG again without a thought.

Also have a bosch dishwasher that is about 17 yrs old,  Have replaced the main pump in it and the control board but on it chugs and is very quiet.  

Parents have an old northstar fridge in the basement for soda that is .... 50 yrs old?   still humming away

2 hours ago, mikem said:

We have had good luck with an LG....

The guy that sold it said they are the ONLY ones that can put an ice-cube through a door with any consistency. (I partied with the guy in High School, so we have known each other a LONG time) :ph34r:

Mike

We bought a Kenmore made by lg fridge a couple years ago happy with it. We have Kenmore lg washer dryer had to replace pump on 8 year old washer other day but they have been good. Our fridge has the linear pump seems to work