Old F-14

Don't be like this guy....The fate of our hobby

1 hour ago, hillman said:

OK .question time how do you know its a Heisler? I have very little experience with pre 1939 tractors

ihf202.jpg

ihf20.jpg

Well, The shape of it. All Heisler OD's for F-series have a similar shape.  Bought a Heisler OD at the Buckley Swap Meet for $40 when I was 12 years old for an F-12...Never bought a tractor to put it on and later sold it when I was in college for textbook money.  Then when I was 24, I ended up with a few junky F-12's and immediately regretted selling it. LOL. Heislers originally had a brass tag on them saying model and such, but usually they are gone.

Also, any overdrive on a F-12 or F-14 is most likely Hiesler.  Whereas on the F-20 there were numerous companies selling overdrives( Heisler, Bennett, Belhen, Sears, Wards, etc),  For an F-12/14, only Heisler and Sears Sold one. The sears one has a odd top loader shift stick sticking out of it. Never seen a sears one in person.

Odd random fact, One cannot use the F-12 overdrive on an F-14, as the trans input shaft has different amount of teeth. They slowed the gearing down on the F-14.

Heisler OD's for a F-12 or F-14 are like money in a bank.  Ones for an F-20 just seem to be cheap (good thing since one would be nice on my '32 duckbill)

• Thanks 1

The tractor club I grew up around wanted nothing to do with the younger guys getting in and they hated tractors newer then '55 to include not allowing any tractor newer then '55 to pull. Just a bunch of crab ass old pricks and yes they had the nerve to ask why the young guy wouldn't join the club when it died it's slow painful death.

And just like everyone else said if they had something it was gold and rotted away outside for years, screw the old pricks, let them melt your crap after your sale, good riddance...

• Sad 2

55 minutes ago, SMiller said:

The tractor club I grew up around wanted nothing to do with the younger guys getting in and they hated tractors newer then '55 to include not allowing any tractor newer then '55 to pull. Just a bunch of crab ass old pricks and yes they had the nerve to ask why the young guy wouldn't join the club when it died it's slow painful death.

And just like everyone else said if they had something it was gold and rotted away outside for years, screw the old pricks, let them melt your crap after your sale, good riddance...

Breathing fire!!!

But, I tend to agree.

I heartsee this all the time in dairy.  Older fella with 0 heirs interested complains no one wants to dairy.  Younger guy approaches an they brush then off as the complain no one wants to farm.  The worse is some have nice efficient set ups that with just some fresh breath the young guy could make work.  And so there these nice places with decent ground and facilities sit to rot.  All while the owner grumbles 

But its his i suppose 

• Sad 1

A couple of points for your consideration as you do your shopping:

1.  The old codger might be opinionated and not willing to sell or give the item to you.

BUT-----please remember that the old rusty scrap iron  belongs to him and in reality he doesn't owe you anything. It is his legal right to do with it as he sees fit.  In most probability you knocked on his door.

And-------some of us "old codgers" might find much more value in walking by and admiring and reminiscing about the old rusty hulk much more than if it was fully restored and running.

2.  A knowledgeable buyer would most likely want to see pictures and inquire as to an approximate price before traveling far to seek buying most anything.  If it doesn't fit your budget or criteria-------just move on elsewhere with your search.

The principal of Supply and Demand fits the old tractor market also.

3.  It is not unheard of for an "old prick"(as stated somewhere up above) to gift an item or sell at a bargain price  to someone that he has full confidence in accomplishing something with the project. 

It might be worth selling the "old prick" on your sincerity and qualifications to complete the project being discussed.  There are many instances where people have taken on a project only to discard it in a few days and move on to another pipe dream. 

I really don't consider myself to be one of these "old pricks".   I am definitely an "old codger" (@ 76+ yrs) that has a yard full of rusty scrap iron.  So-----in an effort to save you some time an effort;  please do not stop by my place.

I find it ironic that the "old pricks" are usually the ones that show up with the solid answers from experiece when questions are asked relating to the older generation tractors.

I sincerely hope that you and your like thinking friends don't encounter the aging process and can remain arrogant "young pricks" for the rest of your life.

Good luck in the future.

Sincerely------

Anson Sheldon, Jr.

AKA:

DD   (Delta Dirt  Avon  Ms  38723)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, Delta Dirt said:

It is not unheard of for an "old prick"(as stated somewhere up above) to gift an item or sell at a bargain price  to someone that he has full confidence in

Happened to me. I was having trouble with a six-speed special. Mentioned it to a guy at work and he would see if his Uncle Bill would stop in a take a look. Saw that I was going about it the wrong way but at least was making an effort. Uncle Bill took me under his wing and taught me more about old trucks than I could ever learn in a book. He had a restored 6-speed and offered to sell it to me because of my interest and willingness to learn. Long story short I bought the truck six months before he passed. About once every two or three years his nephew stops by wanting to buy it. Claims his uncle never gave him a chance to buy it. All I can do is bite my tongue to keep from telling him his uncle thought he was the most useless person he knew and would have junked the truck before the nephew would get it.

I had it happen this week. Wasn't a tractor but a chainsaw I have. I have two, a fixer upper and one that's all done. Guy wanted this model saw. Wasn't interested in the fixer upper (didn't even ask me to price it). My "keeper" I priced at the high end for this model plus a little. Because I really don't want to sell it and I said so.  I think that's the position of most of these hoarders. They really don't want to sell. They just want to look like they're trying.

• Like 1

Have any Olivers on your list of wants? I've got a few that are gonna go hopefully this spring/summer. I'd guess I'm an hour and a half or so from you, here in MI, but I'm more actual central MI. I'm a young fellow as well, mid 30s. Got a few of the IH tractors of my dad's and my collection as well that we've decided we don't need anymore that I can hopefully move out of my way this summer as well. Is a W400 diesel on your list? 

Ross 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, RBootsMI said:

Have any Olivers on your list of wants? I've got a few that are gonna go hopefully this spring/summer. I'd guess I'm an hour and a half or so from you, here in MI, but I'm more actual central MI. I'm a young fellow as well, mid 30s. Got a few of the IH tractors of my dad's and my collection as well that we've decided we don't need anymore that I can hopefully move out of my way this summer as well. Is a W400 diesel on your list? 

Ross 

PM sent to you Ross

On 1/12/2020 at 7:52 PM, Delta Dirt said:

A couple of points for your consideration as you do your shopping:

1.  The old codger might be opinionated and not willing to sell or give the item to you.

BUT-----please remember that the old rusty scrap iron  belongs to him and in reality he doesn't owe you anything. It is his legal right to do with it as he sees fit.  In most probability you knocked on his door.

And-------some of us "old codgers" might find much more value in walking by and admiring and reminiscing about the old rusty hulk much more than if it was fully restored and running.

2.  A knowledgeable buyer would most likely want to see pictures and inquire as to an approximate price before traveling far to seek buying most anything.  If it doesn't fit your budget or criteria-------just move on elsewhere with your search.

3.  It is not unheard of for an "old prick"(as stated somewhere up above) to gift an item or sell at a bargain price  to someone that he has full confidence in accomplishing something with the project. 

It might be worth selling the "old prick" on your sincerity and qualifications to complete the project being discussed.  There are many instances where people have taken on a project only to discard it in a few days and move on to another pipe dream. 

I really don't consider myself to be one of these "old pricks".   I am definitely an "old codger" (@ 76+ yrs) that has a yard full of rusty scrap iron.  So-----in an effort to save you some time an effort;  please do not stop by my place.

I find it ironic that the "old pricks" are usually the ones that show up with the solid answers from experiece when questions are asked relating to the older generation tractors.

I sincerely hope that you and your like thinking friends don't encounter the aging process and can remain arrogant "young pricks" for the rest of your life.

Good luck in the future.

Sincerely------

Anson Sheldon, Jr.

AKA:

DD   (Delta Dirt  Avon  Ms  38723)

Well said.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Red Collector said:

Well said.

Agreed. ^^***

We have all been somewhere where someone wanted more than we wanted to give. It’s just life. You don’t have to like it and it doesn’t make him a grumpy old blankety blank. If you want one bad enough you can find one cheaper elsewhere or pony up and spend the money.  I’m a younger guy also and I get what you are saying but bottom line is, it’s his and he doesn’t have to sell it to anyone he doesn’t want to for any less than he wants to. It doesn’t have to make sense. 

• Like 2

I think the main complaint was he got him down there to "make a deal" and there was no deal to be found.

• Like 2

On 1/12/2020 at 6:52 PM, Delta Dirt said:

I’m not an expert and not one that will really push a seller in something I want, but what you said is basically the approach that I had to buy my LB engine I looked at one all restored and told the seller I was going to build a wagon for it as an FFA project and he dropped the price $50. Problem was it was 6 1/2 hours away and there are quite a few of these engines around my area I later found out. 

Then I found another one 5 minutes away and told the seller what I was going to do with it. We settled on a price and it was considerably lower then the one I looked at before. 

Then again I haven’t seen or done nearly what you guys have done yet. I think it’s all about being knowledgeable, confident, and personable before, during, and after you talk to the seller. 

• Like 2

We have the F 30 that my wife's father had. Compared to my M it's fairly uncomfortable , slow , under powered , and slightly more clumsy . It's got new rubber all around ($1,200+ for all) and is in operational condition. It would probably be hard to get 1,500 for it. If someone ( other than another family member) wants to buy it it's not for sale for any price because of the family attachment. 

I see the price on pre 06 tractors sliding down more and more as the generation who has the most attachment to them is disappearing faster than the tractors are

There are FANTASTIC old guys. Some so fantastic, that I would (and do!) rather hang out with them than most of my peers. But there are certainly also old guys who are pure curmudgeons, and everything they own is worth a mint. And they do talk out both sides of their mouths, complaining about a situation and then working against the solution. I see it in spades since joining the fire department, and I've seen it in the tractor hobby.

I don't for a moment think OP was implying that all old guys are old pricks. As a matter of fact, I think that's why he said "prick". If he thought all old guys were pricks, he probably wouldn't have bothered to say prick; it would be redundant. Further, I don't think anyone would argue that it isn't "their stuff". It certainly is. It's their right to price anything exactly how they want. BUT, it's also anyone else's right to have an opinion about it. Further still, their opinion doesn't hurt anyone. To put it philosophically, my right to do 'x', doesn't preclude your right to have opinion about whether it's right, wrong, rude, fantastic, or prickly.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, KWRB said:

To put it philosophically, my right to do 'x', doesn't preclude your right to have opinion about whether it's right, wrong, rude, fantastic, or prickly.

I don’t thing the frustration of some of the more recent posters has to do with the comments of the original poster.  The one “breathing fire” went a little too far referencing “pricks” and lumping many people of a certain age group into one negative category. Negativity is a stereotype easily associated with this person and it is not the first time this poster has stirred the proverbial pot considerably. Your last comment is spot on and I realize I have given my opinion also.  The difference is, I am fine with you or anyone else having a difference of opinion. I won’t think any less of someone for that. The poster referring to “everyone” and “old pricks” however lumps anyone with a differing opinion into a negative category which is wrong.  You have given your opinion in a respectful manner which I personally see zero problem with. 

I hear what your saying ! 
even though I am not young (74) I started restoration and collecting in 2006 . 
I joined clubs and tried to get help and advice and all I got was. The old timers in club snub , like who are you and who do you think you are . 
yet at every meeting or correspondence they talked of needing new members and younger members . 
I went off on my own and found a group of guys that were tremendous collectors that had some of same experience I had and we put our efforts together and today the clubs are loosing members to death and non responsive and we are doing well and many of the original club members want to park with us at shows . 
you will find what you need , and eventually you will be more sout after then these guys that think thy are the gods of the old iron world . 
they are dying   and you’ll buy that stuff at their auction for correct prices . 
tony

6 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

I don’t thing the frustration of some of the more recent posters has to do with the comments of the original poster.  The one “breathing fire” went a little too far referencing “pricks” and lumping many people of a certain age group into one negative category. Negativity is a stereotype easily associated with this person and it is not the first time this poster has stirred the proverbial pot considerably. Your last comment is spot on and I realize I have given my opinion also.  The difference is, I am fine with you or anyone else having a difference of opinion. I won’t think any less of someone for that. The poster referring to “everyone” and “old pricks” however lumps anyone with a differing opinion into a negative category which is wrong.  You have given your opinion in a respectful manner which I personally see zero problem with. 

ah. I see. Thanks for that.

Sometimes you find people that are great to work with and encourage young people to enter into the hobby.  I purchased a farmall M for my Daughter's first 4-H project for $250. It runs and drives well.  Gentleman was tickled that She wanted to fix one up!