FARMALL FIXER

Smoking a brisket

Bought a beef from my son inlaw , nothing better than home grown meat .  Going to have the locker save the brisket and going to try my luck at smoking it on my Treager pellet grill . Being an absolute newbie to cooking a brisket and not sure how it will go . I guess it will either turn out edible or the Labrador will be eating good for awhile . Any tips or receipes any of you that have done one would like to share ?

I have competition brand pellets that are a blend of different woods .

• Like 1

I cover mine with Carolina season and sprinkle Rays Cajon on. Smoke @ 250 for 12hrs, wrap in foil for another 6-8 hrs. 

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Finney said:

I cover mine with Carolina season and sprinkle Rays Cajon on. Smoke @ 250 for 12hrs, wrap in foil for another 6-8 hrs. 

What do you use for wood ?

Do you trim the fat ?

Man that sounds great.  Few years ago I was watching The Pioneer Woman show with the girls.  She made a tenderloin whole.  I never seen that.  Wife got cook book and next dairy open heifer we had I asked butche rto save the tenderloin whole.  Man...about a hour and grown men tear up eating it.  Just in oven since I dont have a smoker.  Even 3 year old cows are great!  Kids get excited when I take one out of freezer now.

Friends a huge traeger guy.  Says their recipes are great as well fyi.  Him and his wife use that thing 4 days a week!  Meatloaf even!

• Like 1

I've made 1 before on my Green Mountain grill, same concept as a Traeger. Used mesquite pellets but don't remember what rub I used. It took a looong time but was delicious. Just butcher a steer this fall, hope to make the brisket this spring.

• Thanks 1

I had one I was saving for the special brisket rites. Wife grabbed it one day and tossed it in the crockpot with some onions,carrots and potatoes. Turned out fantastic. Don't stress it to much.

• Like 1

Put a rub of salt and pepper and one or two other ingredients. Like garlic or red pepper or whatever you like. Keep it simple.   225 to 275 cook temp. Just takes longer at 225.  Pull off meat temp 190 to 205.  I like 200.

PS  rub aleast 12 hours ahead. I like 24hours

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, IH Forever said:

I've made 1 before on my Green Mountain grill, same concept as a Traeger. Used mesquite pellets but don't remember what rub I used. It took a looong time but was delicious. Just butcher a steer this fall, hope to make the brisket this spring.

From what I read it takes a long time to do it right , cant be in a hurry .  From what I understand cooking it too fast results in a tough piece of meat . 

5 minutes ago, lance358436 said:

Put a rub of salt and pepper and one or two other ingredients. Like garlic or red pepper or whatever you like. Keep it simple.   225 to 275 cook temp. Just takes longer at 225.  Pull off meat temp 190 to 205.  I like 200.

PS  rub aleast 12 hours ahead. I like 24hours

I have made a rub that I have used for baby back ribs that I like. maybe it would work for brishet too .

So it is not necessarily the hours to cook it but more so the internal temp to determine readiness . 

Do you wrap yours after a certain amount of time ?

I just smoked a 17+ lb entire brisket (point and flat) for New Years.  I smoke a little different from most people.

Everybody likes different flavors------an does things a little different;  I've been smoking and bar-b-quing for 40 yrs; and I think I just finally mastered what I have been looking for with a brisket.  This one is so good I had some for breakfast this morning.  Here is what I did:

1.  Slightly trim heavy fat off------do not over trim. ; Place brisket on large pan-----leave trimmed fat in pan.

2.  Stick brisket multiple times with heavy fork or small knife-----plus opening up several stuffing holes so to stuff 8-10 fresh cayenne peppers deep into the meat.  Also stuff minced garlic and minced onions with peppers.

3.  Season all sides with salt, black pepper, minced garlic, minced onion, Tony's creole seasoning, light dose of red pepper flakes followed by slowly pouring over brisket (don't want to wash seasoning off) 6---8 oz of Diet Coke;  followed by similar amount of Wickers marinade sauce;  followed by good coating of olive oil covered with freshly chopped red onions (top and bottom)

4.  Cover pan  with foil and place in refrigerator and let marinade for 12---15 hrs.

5.  Cooking process:  I prefer my grille temp to be in the 200° range------once coals have gotten hot;  remove from pan and place brisket directly over open fire for 10--12 minutes on each side so to sear/blacken outside of meat.  Place back into pan-----lay 2---3 pieces of fat over the lean areas------recover with chopped red onions.  Wrap pan with foil-----commence to cook in an offset position from the fire with heavy tip portion of brisket closest to the heat source.

Maintain heat in 200° range until meat temp is in 130---135 degree range using a meat thermometer.  Open the foil and lay loosely over brisket-------continue to smoke until temp reaches 145°.   Flip meat-----leave foil with a loose covering; keep on cooking in the 150----200° range.  Low temp is your friend------you are applying heavy smoke at low temp without the danger of over cooking with the low temp.  Keep on smoking  until you reach a somewhat uniform meat temp of:

A.   Cooking for immediate serving:  150--160°   (best to allow meat to rest for 30----60 minutes before cutting)

B.  Cooking for later serving:  145° ;  I slice cold and warm stack of sliced meat slowly in microwave just enough to be good and warm

End result-----the brisket will be somewhat pink and cooked to a near "medium" status.  Eat as a piece of beef (similar to steak or roast)-------or add B-B-Q sauce for bar-b-que.

I have found that cooking with the pan and covered with foil allows the meat to cook and somewhat steam itself from within resulting in more tenderness and juiciness-------in addition to seemingly  cooking slightly faster while still maintaining some degree of "rareness" that I prefer.

My son came in from Texas-----and says he has never eaten any "Texas brisket" that will compete with this.  And----he is a pretty good cook himself.  (Hel!------I don't know-------maybe I just got lucky on this one!!!)😉

Many recipes say cook meat to a 200° temp in an effort to come out tender------that seems to be overcooking it for me.

Actual cook time will vary depending on weight and thickness.  I cooked the 17 lb brisket for 14+/_ hrs at the 170---200° range.

Just keep playing with until you find your "sweet spot" for what you like!!!!  

20191231_060813.thumb.jpg.e870b0a795fe94fc666240ec40910f40.jpg

20191231_140049.thumb.jpg.d817b1aedd9cd9d0e60b8cb826967fd9.jpg

20191231_193626.thumb.jpg.c9325c79d6c02cc4679f4503f54329d3.jpg

20190704_114647.thumb.jpg.e467ba2fba331226d44630029adb964e.jpg

And-------this will serve as a good set of notes for me to go by for the next time.

Good luck-------have fun.

DD

20190704_114758.jpg

edit:  the Diet Coke, Wickers, salt, and onions all add some degree of tenderizing action, plus add flavor during the marinade process.  Plus------smoke in itself tenderizes.

I do not worry about a tight wrap with the foil once the brisket reaches 120+ degrees as long as the heat is 200 or below.

The pros talk about a "stall" in temp rise of the meat.  I have found this occurs in the 140--145° range.  Keep the heat low once approaching this range and the grill choked full of smoke.

I use a mixture of charcoal and pecan and oak firewood.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

.......Wow.......sounds good DD!!

....have to say though....reading through this thread.........

....I think it would give a Vegan   , heartburn.....:mellow:

Mike

• Haha 2

Google “All Things BBQ”,  Chef Tom does videos on smoking stuff on Yoder Smoker. He has a couple on your topic. He uses pellet grill/smoker. So it will be the same idea as what your using. I picked up a new Yoder just after Christmas, still have my stick smoker too. Hope you enjoy having a beer while smoking. Makes for a great day!  Good luck

• Like 1

My neighbor has it down to an art. This is what he does. First you need to know how much it weights. Trim most of the fat off. Then reweight it. Add any rub you want, he uses the McCormicks. He then puts in smoker at 250. Cooks it 1 hour per pound. Generally he smokes 6-8 hours and then will wrap in aluminum foil and finish cooking. Use the wood you like. They always come out great

• Thanks 1

Delta Dirt you have my mouth watering, and i just ate breakfast. Why don't you start another one, i could be down by the time it's done.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions for this inexpericed brisket smoking Newbie !! Love all the suggestions , my stomach is growling and my mouth is watering hoping the end result will be good one . Waiting for the locker to call today or tommorrow saying my meat is ready .

Delta Dirt that is quite a smoker you have there do you use your smoking talents for hire 

Best I remember having was in West Texas and they used Mesquite wood to smoke it with . 

• Like 1

Great topic, and great sounding recipes. Thanks everyone for sharing. You know you are in amongst a great bunch of people when they are willing to share their "secret recipes" !!!  I too have a few briskets in the freezer from last year's butchering. Now I have some great ideas to try in my smoker. 

One question, does a person smoke fresh ribs about the same?  I tried some last year, brined them, then rubbed, smoked, but think it was too hot/fast, they were salty and way tough. Slow cooking has to be the trick here

Thnks

Mark

• Like 1

I follow Aaron Franklin's brisket recipe exclusively.  Just salt and coarse black pepper.  Any other flavors can  be added later if you desire.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, td9inidaho said:

Great topic, and great sounding recipes. Thanks everyone for sharing. You know you are in amongst a great bunch of people when they are willing to share their "secret recipes" !!!  I too have a few briskets in the freezer from last year's butchering. Now I have some great ideas to try in my smoker. 

One question, does a person smoke fresh ribs about the same?  I tried some last year, brined them, then rubbed, smoked, but think it was too hot/fast, they were salty and way tough. Slow cooking has to be the trick here

Thnks

Mark

Low and slow 👍

Got the treager warming up as I write this , not for brisket but going to try a chuck roast that is 4.5 lbs hope it is done for supper when the Wife gets home .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lorenzo said:

Best I remember having was in West Texas and they used Mesquite wood to smoke it with . 

Ya know, I'd totally forgotten it/them - but now that you mention it, seems to me like I do recall someone on the way to the Lubbock airport doing that!

best, randy

21 hours ago, FARMALL FIXER said:

What do you use for wood ?

Do you trim the fat ?

I use lump charcoal. I do not trim the fat, I put the fat side up.  I have been known to pour a cup of apple juice in when I wrap it in foil. 

• Like 2

Well I nominate DD as chef whenever we start havin annual red power summer picnics! That sounds delicious, think I’m gonna Print out those directions 

• Like 1

Uhh-------I almost forgot my main ingredient for Smoking or B-B-Q.

And----that is an ample supply of Blue Smoke.  Don't put the B-S on the meat------but apply it liberally to the guy eating the meat!!!!!!😂🤠

In all seriousness-------don't be afraid to experiment-------and always try to make it a little better than the last time.

If it suits you-------don't worry about what the next guy likes.  You are the one doing the work--------everybody has a little different taste.  (always one more way to skin the cat)

I am 76 yrs old------have cooked alot of different meat on my old homemade cooker (pictured)---------and just reached the point of being totally satisfied with my brisket.

No doubt for me-------the brisket has been the most difficult piece of meat to master.  

Regardless of what meat you are cooking---------you need a thermometer  for the grille temp and a thermometer for determining the internal temperature of the meat.  Doesn't have to be expensive--------just reliable.  

An idea for anyone building a grille--------I used 2" pitch roller chain links (#160) for my door hinges.  Makes for a precise fit on the doors---------and are very durable.  Never have replaced one yet------built the grille in the early 1980's and have cooked lots of meat across the Delta on it.  

20150922_080454.thumb.jpg.910018fc65e8172f3c114082d7b76508.jpg

20141127_105501.thumb.jpg.ec5d6a23bc07857cade48fac86a29751.jpg

20141127_105434.thumb.jpg.cb10032eb8498801c7ba36c93476fae8.jpg

I keep saying that I am going to put together a small vertical style grille for the backyard------wouldn't be any difference in flavor or cooking time;  just use less charcoal/wood. Maybe I will get that project done one of these days????

Would like to see one of the Traeger (?) grills in action------have heard good reports on them.

Grilles are sorta like recipes--------everybody has a different preference.  I snapped this picture of a unique design in Sledge, Mississippi (hometown of Charlie Pride) a couple of years ago while inspecting a tract of land up that way.

20170502_133435.thumb.jpg.6c089eebaa8d7dd4a8b27016e23e195f.jpg

DD

• Like 3