Think there was a kit at one time, maybe from Hy Capacity

I believe it's been done, but not up on the specifics of how. This thread does have some information and lots more on google:

It does not appear to be an easy or cheap swap. It's not like you can just put in the 4th gear because the speed transmission is a completely different design from the 14 and lower tractors. Constant mesh vs. sliding gear, I guess?

To me it looks like IH was trying out some ideas that they incorporated into the STS driveline later. Too bad they couldn't have put a third range into the range transmission. LMH + 123 + TA would be 18 speeds.

• Like 1

Install a 1486 transmission from the clutch housing back. Will need the rear wheel cast centers too as axle is bigger on 1586.

1 hour ago, nepoweshiekfarmalls said:

Install a 1486 transmission from the clutch housing back. Will need the rear wheel cast centers too as axle is bigger on 1586.

Then really isn't it a 1486? The different drive trains are what set them apart.

It would be, but easier to find than a conversion kit. Dont have to disassemble the trans to install gears either. 

• Like 1

1486 Differential Lock is listed in Parts....

2 hours ago, Rainman said:

1486 Differential Lock is listed in Parts....

That would be a positive over the open differential of the 1586.

I love my 1586, but a tractor should have a differential lock.  Period!!!

Local has IH 1586 to 1486 conversion ( Complete Back half of a 1486) listed on FB ... $2,700

I think it was Allied Precision that had the kit to make it a 4 speed but they are no longer in business.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TW7110 said:

I think it was Allied Precision that had the kit to make it a 4 speed but they are no longer in business.

Correct, and hasn't been available for years.

It can be done, but need a lot of time and effort and junkyard parts. I asked about this before. It really isn't worth the effort unless the 15 is your yard tractor. 1st is way too slow on the yard and high 2nd is too fast. We have a 1566 with a four speed. It is our loader tractor, like it a lot better with a four speed. Road gear stays the same, slow, hate that part of all 15's. If you just flat love a 15 and want a four speed, it is doable. Personally, just getting a 14 is a better solution.