What’s wrong with riding with the grab handle up your ass? 🤣

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

I thought that's what the shelf behind the seat was for

8 minutes ago, TractormanMike.mb said:

I thought that's what the shelf behind the seat was for

That's what I thought. Where my brother and I rode on a 986 in our youth.

• Like 2

Back shelf behind the seat worked when I was 10........not now!

"Grab Handle up your a$$".........classic, and too true......

8 minutes ago, Mr. Plow said:

I thought by 10 you were supposed to be in the drivers seat driving. That's the way it seemed to work around here. 

• Like 5
6 minutes ago, Reichow7120 said:

I thought by 10 you were supposed to be in the drivers seat driving. That's the way it seemed to work around here. 

10! They started you late.

• Haha 1

5,6,7 back shelf.......8 y/o driving 656, 684, M.......14 or so in 1486 doing solo field work......by that time we lost some ground and were farming small enough that we had plenty of operators for the "big jobs" that needed the 1486.  ....but after 10 I didn't fit to ride along.....

Spent a lot of my summers mowing PIK ground between 12 and 14 y/o with the 684 and sickle bar, or shredder!!!!!

4 minutes ago, TractormanMike.mb said:

10! They started you late.

I was 8.

This pic was taken the first time I ever took a tractor down the road and i had done plenty of field time before the road trip was allowed to happen. The date on the pic is early June 1994. My 10th Birthday would have been the 20th so i was still 9 when this was taken.

20150511_200053.jpg

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, Reichow7120 said:

I was 8.

This pic was taken the first time I ever took a tractor down the road and i had done plenty of field time before the road trip was allowed to happen. The date on the pic is early June 1994. My 10th Birthday would have been the 20th so i was still 9 when this was taken.

20150511_200053.jpg

That's cool. My earliest memories are being in the cab of our 186 hydro pulling the stone wagon for the rock picking crew. The farm I grew up on in my childhood days was more of a hobby farm so there wasn't a lot of tractor work going on on a daily basis but when there was I was all over it. Changing wagons when we baled or chopped, raking hay, and finally cutting and baling and chopping and some tillage in there to but we didn't work much ground. I was 13 the last year we cut the hay on the farm. Dad said he didn't want to do it because he was working nights and didn't have time. I said I would do it and at first he wouldn't have it but after he thought about it he let me do it under some conditions, I could only run equipment when my mom or dad was home, mom worked also. I made close to 100 acres of hay that summer mostly by myself and some help from my younger brother, dad helped on the weekends.

8 on 684 farm to farm, 8 on M hauling ear corn wagons in field, 12-13 mowing hay myself.  14 trusted to drive 15 miles to other farm and clip PIK all day by myself.  

• Like 1

Reichow7120......

Similar pic....probably about 12 on the 684

64.JPG

• Like 2

I am not sure how they are built but one from a MX Magnum could possibly fit there with some custom mounting? 

Mr Plow, you got to run some nice stuff.................I was either on a SM, M-TA or a putt putt, sigh..........But I suppose it was better than Tankers POS N series Fords he rants and raves about!

20 hours ago, Mr. Plow said:

Well that’s how it was when I was riding in 2+2 guys 5088 2 years ago.... 

The back dash was for the dog. He would climb the steps, get on the seat and then behind it. I was usually driving but if not then it was the grab handle. Our 1086 didn't show up until I was 12-13 so I never fit behind the seat. Like a few of you guys I was working alone in the field, doing some custom work by the time I was 9 or 10. One neighbor I was cutting hay for stopped to check on me quite a bit at first. Within a couple of hours he quit. He said looks like you know what you are doing. I just said thanks. I mowed all his hay from then on. 

My mom tells the story of how I told her how to start the 806 after she stalled it at the back of the field.... when I was 2!  "Gotta push the clutch in, Mommy!"  Unfortunately I was small when real young: lawnmower at 6, JD B with handclutch at 7, didn't get to drive the other stuff until I was 9.    By 10, I was driving the grain truck to/from the bin site (blew my first engine at 11....hey, it just threw a rod, I wasn't even overrevving it!)  Got my first legal license at 16--took the 68 F600 truck in and did my test drive and walked out with a class B truck license.  Times have changed.   Now ya gotta be careful nobody driving by can see your kids out working...some do-gooder see a 10yo out mowing on a 684 today, probably call child services.

• Like 1

I was 9 when I first hauled corn to the elevator with the 886 amd a 540 bushel wagon myself, let my 3 year old drive the farmall cub as I walk along side him

• Like 1

If you want to be comfortable you need a second seat. Probably much safer too. If your wife and or girlfriend wants to ride along with you the seat will be worth every penny . Hard to come by anymore but maybe a fold down seat from a junkyard out of the early S10 , Mazda, etc type extra cab pickups might be adaptable ? 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, TP from Central PA said:

Mr Plow, you got to run some nice stuff.................I was either on a SM, M-TA or a putt putt, sigh..........But I suppose it was better than Tankers POS N series Fords he rants and raves about!

That 684 was only a few years old......pic was around '85

20200106_191148.thumb.jpg.74c4d6468062d12d2f40d84a78e8846f.jpg

5 for me following windrows on the M pulling NH baler w/Wisconsin motor and dad riding the wagon.Kept going up from there,by 10 was being dropped off in field in morning,discing or harrowing untill being picked up for lunch that dropped back off again after untill dark.Lunch and suppper never seemed to get there for sure.Now a days if you are not tethered to your kid by cell phone 24/7 your a bad parent.

• Like 1

i was driving my 1026 hydro and 4010 jd - ertls -  farming like a pro at 2 then my model 20 pedal tractor at 3 - my gson is now farming with all 3 of them and they start every time, very low maint for the hours they have on them. Need a couple new tires for the pedal tractor 

6 hours ago, searcyfarms said:

i was driving my 1026 hydro and 4010 jd - ertls -  farming like a pro at 2 then my model 20 pedal tractor at 3 - my gson is now farming with all 3 of them and they start every time, very low maint for the hours they have on them. Need a couple new tires for the pedal tractor 

1026 at 2, you lucky dog took me to 55 till I got my 1026