Sign in to follow this  
jingles1928

Thermostat settings

Didn't want to hijack other thread about working in winter. What temp do you guys with furnaces set your thermostat when not using shop and what temp when using shop? Been expirementing and have kind of settled on 45* at night and 60 or 65* when working out there . takes about 40 minutes to get up to temp. Is more fuel used to bring it up to temp or is it better to keep the degree spread closer, say 55* to 65*? Some times I don't go out for two or three days. I am an enviromentilist and was to thry to save the planets resources  cheap and want to save a few bucks if I can.

Dennis

When I know I am going to be out there for awhile I will set it between 55 and 60.

We will usually wear a sweatshirt or long sleeve cover shirts and pants if we think that we might get in to some oil and grease so we don’t mind it on the cooler side

We rarely run it any other time and it will stay between 40 and 50 almost all of the time

I just have the attached 3 car garage on my house, it's heated with a ceiling mount natgas furnace. I have found very little difference in my gas and electric bills whether I let it cool down or leave it set, the house probably is easier to heat with a warm attatched garage, but hard to tell what changes what since it's all on the same meter.

I can say though, with forced air heat, it seems a lot nicer out there when I just leave it set at one temp. The times I have let it cool down to around 50F and then bring it back up to use, the air temp may be toasty but you feel the cold on everything you touch. I actually keep it a degree or two warmer than the house so if I open the door it takes no time to catch back up. Hate to admit it, but I had to turn it down to work out there for extended times this last week. 

I have my programable thermostat set at 40 degrees and when I go to work in there I manually run it up to 65.  At 5 pm it automatically goes back to 40 and stays there until I change it.  I like to work in a T shirt, so 65 is just right at floor level.  If I'm working 6 feet off the floor, I turn it down some.  And yes I also have ceiling fans.

jerry

45 to 50 when not present - 55 to 60 when working usually more towards 55 - i keep my house thermostat as 62 once i turn off the AC for the summer - bedroom is even cooler usually around 55 to 60

70 is comfy in the summer.

Why is winter any different?

The $ we spend on comforts in our lives, heat bill is no different .

I froze as a young  buck , no more.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, searcyfarms said:

45 to 50 when not present - 55 to 60 when working usually more towards 55 - i keep my house thermostat as 62 once i turn off the AC for the summer - bedroom is even cooler usually around 55 to 60

62?!!!!

Not this house!

71 here. 

11 minutes ago, MTO said:

62?!!!!

Not this house!

71 here. 

The one log per day difference between 65 and 72 is well worth it. Wife's family keeps the house somewhere around penguins with hypothermia...i like to get home from work and take layers off to be comfortable not keep em on...

• Like 1

Sounds like I may be on the right track. Nine foot ceiling in main room, Eight foot ceiling in side room ( media cabinet drill press, bearing press, storage etc) . R-40 in ceilings and nothing in seventy one year old eight inch block walls. Approx 900 square ft and furnace takes care of both rooms. 60* feels pretty good with sweat shirt.

31 minutes ago, MTO said:

62?!!!!

Not this house!

71 here. 

its better for cuddling with my wife 😉

Here is what my truck buddy told me once. Insulation pays for itself many times over. If you are going to work continuously 60 to 65 all the time. You can heat a 44 by 66 here in North Dakota on propane all year to 60 for around 1000 dollars. 1000 gals of propane. But you need good doors and good insulation. Suprising how much happier you are when your feet are warm.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, searcyfarms said:

its better for cuddling with my wife 😉

Cuddling is fine, but there are times I want covers off for an hour or so and 62 is not good for that!!!!!  😊Turn temp down after that, sleep well when it's cool.  No shop to heat so I have nothing to add to the real content.

Heating and Cooling guy recommended a Nest a year ago.  I like it because I can set up the thermostat to change when I want it to and also base it on days of the week.

To me it depends on what I am doing in there and the outside temps. 

If I'm welding I may be wearing my leathers so like it a little cooler

If I'm working in an engine bay, I like to work in a t-shirt so I can get arms into confined spaces with catching sleeves on sharp edges. 

If It is really cold out I will leave my little propane heater on 24hrs and it will keep it about 60. 

Like Cattech says, if left on a comfortable temp, everything in the shop will remain warmer to the touch and help hold heat at a more constant level. Which in my unsubstantiated opinion would be more efficient

Leave mine at 70 used to turn it down at night but was cheaper to just let it maintain the temp 

Floor heat set for 60 and left there 

Clean Burn waste oil furnace here.........turn it on when it starts getting cold and leave it set on 68. Never turn it up or down, just stays at 68. This is where I make my living and I am going to be comfortable doing it. 

Clean Burn was one of my best buys, over 20,000 hours on it. I have the company come in each summer and go over it to the tune of 150-300 bucks each year. When I bought it they offered a 50% tax credit if you posted that you was a used oil collection site, I chose to just pay full amount and glad I did. What little oil I allow farmers to bring in is always full of water or debris of some type, can't imagine what it would be like to be a collection center. 

• Like 1

Floor heat set at 55 all the time. I added a forced air furnace a couple years ago just for ac. 55 a little cool if you're not working, but a little warm if really into a major project. Ac at 74 in summer makes the shop much more productive. Plan to add flue and hook up propane so forced air could be used to add heat quickly if needed but haven't done it yet. Floor heat is slow to add temp but as mentioned, warm feet makes all the difference. 50 x 50 x 14 steel building takes about 800 to 1000 gal propane per year depending on winter temps

22 minutes ago, 1958560 said:

Floor heat set at 55 all the time. I added a forced air furnace a couple years ago just for ac. 55 a little cool if you're not working, but a little warm if really into a major project. Ac at 74 in summer makes the shop much more productive. Plan to add flue and hook up propane so forced air could be used to add heat quickly if needed but haven't done it yet. Floor heat is slow to add temp but as mentioned, warm feet makes all the difference. 50 x 50 x 14 steel building takes about 800 to 1000 gal propane per year depending on winter temps

My truck buddy heats a 50 by 100 storage building to 50 degrees. He parks his uncleaned trucks and forklifts in there plus new tires and such. It isn’t opened much about once a week in winter. I think he did 10 or even 12 inch insulation in walls. 2x8 studs with purlins both sides for tin. First year he used  under 500 gals of propane to heat.  

1 hour ago, CIHTECH said:

Clean Burn waste oil furnace here.........turn it on when it starts getting cold and leave it set on 68. Never turn it up or down, just stays at 68. This is where I make my living and I am going to be comfortable doing it. 

Clean Burn was one of my best buys, over 20,000 hours on it. I have the company come in each summer and go over it to the tune of 150-300 bucks each year. When I bought it they offered a 50% tax credit if you posted that you was a used oil collection site, I chose to just pay full amount and glad I did. What little oil I allow farmers to bring in is always full of water or debris of some type, can't imagine what it would be like to be a collection center. 

What is your climate like and how much oil do you go through a winter? Do they have a boiler also? Starting to have to look at other fuel options now with this excessive carbon tax on coal.

1 hour ago, CIHTECH said:

How many gallons of oil do you burn on average per year for what size shop?

Our winters usually have 2-3 really cold snaps like sub-zero for a couple days. Most times we see teens at night and mid 40's thru the day. I have a 500 gallon tank indoors, start burning early because its full then till end of season it is about empty so easy takes 600 gallon a season as we are constantly adding to it thru winter. Yes they have a boiler available. 

6 minutes ago, ZachGrant said:

How many gallons of oil do you burn on average per year for what size shop?

50 by 80 with 18 ft ceiling.......

2 hours ago, CIHTECH said:

Here in North Dakota you leave those barrels outside and let the water freeze. The antifreeze though doesn’t work well in those burners. We used to run a drip oil burner years ago. It was a pain in butt. Used about 5 gals oil a  12 hour day 

2 hours ago, dale560 said:

My truck buddy heats a 50 by 100 storage building to 50 degrees. He parks his uncleaned trucks and forklifts in there plus new tires and such. It isn’t opened much about once a week in winter. I think he did 10 or even 12 inch insulation in walls. 2x8 studs with purlins both sides for tin. First year he used  under 500 gals of propane to heat.  

My shop has 12" in ceiling, and I think 8" batt insulation in walls. If I did it over, I'd spray foam everything. But it's used as a shop, 16' door opens nearly daily to get something in or out, and during -20° nights the bale processor and 5288 goes in at night mostly because I seldom run #1 fuel