706 German

Unusual 806 LP

I recently bought an 806 lp. I have zero interest in it being an lp so it is going to get a 414 transplant. Anyhow after getting it home and looking it over I discovered it to be a 63 model. It has one factory 806 lp emblem and serial number to match but appears to have came with the lp tank out front from factory. Maybe it isn’t that unusual but I have never seen one like that. The only picture I have is not very good. 

A877FAB6-5552-4083-B63E-AFA2E767D389.jpeg

• Like 2

I like that better than the huge bubble in the hood.

• Like 1

Hmmm..either built that way from the factory.. or converted by a dealer??

Interesting to note that if modified at the dealer, they removed the fuel tank.

If it really is original it would be kinda neat to see it restored that way.....

• Like 1

Yeah, how dare you replace an 806 LP with a 414???!!!! Don't you know how collectible LP tractors are????!!!!

The serial tag shows it to be a factory lp?? That’s really interesting! Unfortunately propane tractors don’t really correlate rare with valuable. 

A lot of those were converted at the dealer,  my original theory was that the customer did not want to cut up the hoods and have it in the way of his vision. However,  if the tractor was marked on the tag as propane - that blows up my theory.  Maybe it was a factory propane that someone relocated the tank up front?  Can you post a photo of the sn tag off the clutch housing?

If you are going to convert it I might be interested in the engine 

John

The original owner might have modified it for visual reasons. It might be one of they built before getting the factory equipment to the line to fill an order. Could be a lot of things considering it's age. Isn't there a serial number on the block? Did the LP and gas engines share  the same block serial numbers? A friend up the road bought an Oliver LP tractor that had a different tank set up that turned out to be built that way from the factory. Might be worth checking out with the archives. 

It would be much easier and quicker to fill down low like that. I would be concerned about running into something though. I have heard bad things about tank ruptures. The tank looks like one I have off of a reefer trailer from the 60s. Thx-Ace

On 1/7/2020 at 10:10 AM, markat said:

The original owner might have modified it for visual reasons. It might be one of they built before getting the factory equipment to the line to fill an order. Could be a lot of things considering it's age. Isn't there a serial number on the block? Did the LP and gas engines share  the same block serial numbers? A friend up the road bought an Oliver LP tractor that had a different tank set up that turned out to be built that way from the factory. Might be worth checking out with the archives. 

Same block, different pistons. Same head, no rotators  on valves.

Serial number will tell the truth. True LP tractors will have LP stamped on the tag.

I looked at the tag but can’t remember what it said. I will get a picture of it tomorrow. I pulled the lp tank off the front already and thought it was neat that the bolts holding it on had IH stamped on them. 

This is definitely farmer/dealer modified.  IH would NEVER put the fuel tank out front where it could be struck or damaged.(Think of the lawsuits that would happen !!!!)  The old tank may have leaked or rusted or the owner was short and couldn't reach the tank fill connections.  This front mount LPG tank is NOT IH factory made/approved.

I am going to put all my tractors on LP. I have a LP tank and and kit off a Super C, I am going to put it on my 240. I want to mount the tank  out front like yours. Does yours have  straps to hold it on?

The 240 is a narrow front, so my tank will be like mounting a water tank out front.

On 1/6/2020 at 1:52 PM, Weapon said:

If you are going to convert it I might be interested in the engine

I definitely am.....

Mike

When your ready shot me a pm and a number 

Thanks,John 

Actually its a plain old 806 gas. The factory LP tactors I've seen had LP stamped on the tag. Looks like someone added the L. 

On 1/16/2020 at 7:56 AM, brahamfireman said:

Actually its a plain old 806 gas. The factory LP tactors I've seen had LP stamped on the tag. Looks like someone added the L. 

Wrong.

79312590_612083382865710_4819955596860063744_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_ohc=K3Kz0E_GohMAX-WQmkY&_nc_ht=scontent.fcps1-1.fna&oh=c991b9540cda1f91a1267bf8f6197a2f&oe=5E953805

Travis

I'll have to dig up the pic I had if it didnt get lost in the crash, saw an early one at Breiwers that had lpg on the tag.