Jacob perkins

White demonstrator w6

In a Facebook farmall group I'm in it was brought up about weather or not farmall ever made a white w-6 demonstrator and I was wondering if they did or not

No just the cub, super a, and c. None of the large tractors were painted white by the factory

lol there is a white w series near by

So you guys are telling me that this white w9 we have isnt original? Huh lol

My grandpa bought it new and then traded it for a 650 and a local elevator bought it, painted it white at some point, and used it to push rail cars around. We had bought it back probably 20-25 yrs ago and finally restored it in 2017.

Snapchat-1516647298.jpg

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, TheIHMan said:

My grandpa bought it new and then traded it for a 650 and a local elevator bought it, painted it white at some point, and used it to push rail cars around. We had bought it back probably 20-25 yrs ago and finally restored it in 2017.

Snapchat-1516647298.jpg

That's just wrong!!   Not one picture of the restoration.  They may have painted white just to make it more visible to the railroad guys, just a thought....

Matt

• Like 1

What's the tank on the front?

While not white, I had seen some grey internationals for the military, though I don't know if it was factory mil spec or done somewhere after procurement.

1 hour ago, TheIHMan said:

Snapchat-1516647298.jpg

Every now and then you see a 9 painted green up here. Bet it didn’t come factory that way. In my defense I painted the neighbors N ford all red years ago, because he was all ih and that’s what he wanted. Tractor gained 20 hp and started better just because it was red.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

30 minutes ago, dale560 said:

Every now and then you see a 9 painted green up here. Bet it didn’t come factory that way. In my defense I painted the neighbors N ford all red years ago, because he was all ih and that’s what he wanted. Tractor gained 20 hp and started better just because it was red.

Didn’t some farmers in the dakotas paint their tractors a certain color for their farm to deter from theft.?

42 minutes ago, nate said:

Didn’t some farmers in the dakotas paint their tractors a certain color for their farm to deter from theft.?

No it usually was the crazy German russians could not admit a 9 would outpull a D so they bought one painted it green to match what they had.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, rcb said:

While not white, I had seen some grey internationals for the military, though I don't know if it was factory mil spec or done somewhere after procurement.

I believe it was factory when it was done for the military Ive seen some of these version on Classic Tractor Fever. There are some Massy-Harris tractors that are painted grey too for Military. 

23 hours ago, IHC5488 said:

That's just wrong!!   Not one picture of the restoration.  They may have painted white just to make it more visible to the railroad guys, just a thought....

Matt

Sorry for the offense! I'll try better next time. We pretty much restored it to stock minus the 20.8-34s on the back. Had to fab up a spacer to drop the front axle to make it sit level. 

23 hours ago, rcb said:

The cylinder on the front is actually a chunk of concrete, I guess they put it there to push the railcars with. Still didnt save the tractor any as the cast tub was cracked down the middle of the front. 

IMG_20170819_121201495.jpg

• Like 1

On 1/2/2020 at 5:02 PM, Jacob perkins said:

In a Facebook farmall group I'm in it was brought up about weather or not farmall ever made a white w-6 demonstrator and I was wondering if they did or not

In Australia there were a small batch of white painted McCormick International AOS-6 orchard ttactors built by the Australian factory. An AOS-6 is the Australian version of the American OS-6 with some Super W-6 features added. These were built as demonstrators to promote this model in the 1950s when it was built here. I will try and find a Google Images picture of one as a couple still survive in museums. Regards from Michael H. In Australia.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, TheIHMan said:

Sorry for the offense! I'll try better next time. We pretty much restored it to stock minus the 20.8-34s on the back. Had to fab up a spacer to drop the front axle to make it sit level. 

The cylinder on the front is actually a chunk of concrete, I guess they put it there to push the railcars with. Still didnt save the tractor any as the cast tub was cracked down the middle of the front. 

IMG_20170819_121201495.jpg

I was just messing with you, always good to see a complete restoration from start to finish.

Thanks for sharing the finished project.

• Like 1

On 1/10/2020 at 11:18 AM, Michael Halsall said:

In Australia there were a small batch of white painted McCormick International AOS-6 orchard ttactors built by the Australian factory. An AOS-6 is the Australian version of the American OS-6 with some Super W-6 features added. These were built as demonstrators to promote this model in the 1950s when it was built here. I will try and find a Google Images picture of one as a couple still survive in museums. Regards from Michael H. In Australia.

McCormick_AOS-6_1955 - Serpentine Tractor Museum - Western Australia.jpg

Tractor as photographed in the Serpentine Tractor Museum Western Australia.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Michael Halsall said:

McCormick_AOS-6_1955 - Serpentine Tractor Museum - Western Australia.jpg

Tractor as photographed in the Serpentine Tractor Museum Western Australia.

For anyone interested the AOS-6 (Australian Orchard Special) was built from 1953 to 1958, had a 248 cu.in. engine, like the original W-6, but had some "Super" features such as a channel frame and optional 3 point hitch. There were 3 versions, an "Orchard" version with an undersung exhaust pipe etc,  a "Mixed Farm" version which had an upward exhaust pipe and was more like a W-6, and an AIS-6 "Industrial" version. They were all normally painted red although the industrials may have been available in yellow.   

I was offered  a mechanically restored, but not cosmetically restored, AOS-6 for $1400 Au. I declined the offer as I believe the current owner had spent that amount repairing the tractor and he should advertise it for $2000 Au and negotiate down from there. Actually I'd probably have been excommunicated and made live in the workshop if I'd come home with another "restoration project". I have to justify those sort of expenses to the Chief Financial Officer (She who must be obeyed!) I'm sure $1400 Au. could be spent elsewhere around the house! 

Regards from Michael. H. 😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have a 19411 W-4 that had white paint under a dull red repaint at some time.  Ther was a local seed company that painted their tractors white, mostly cubs, for spraying but one older farmer remembered that they had one larger tractor also painted white.  This had a circular shaft attached to the pto possibly for a pump, the drawbar had been strengthened and most wear was in the higher gears so could have been used for spraying but as previous owners had no past history there is no way of knowing how it got the white paint.  It had a starter, had once had a generator,  the corks were still in the holes for the battery-box support, I suspect the battery was carried on the rear platform from corrosion marks.  When it came to NZ in 1941 it would have had no accessories apart from pto and possibly the swinging drawbar. It is still on its 24 inch 3 piece pneumatic tyre rims .

W-4_1941-g.jpg

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, o121937 said:

I have a 19411 W-4 that had white paint under a dull red repaint at some time.  Ther was a local seed company that painted their tractors white, mostly cubs, for spraying but one older farmer remembered that they had one larger tractor also painted white.  This had a circular shaft attached to the pto possibly for a pump, the drawbar had been strengthened and most wear was in the higher gears so could have been used for spraying but as previous owners had no past history there is no way of knowing how it got the white paint.  It had a starter, had once had a generator,  the corks were still in the holes for the battery-box support, I suspect the battery was carried on the rear platform from corrosion marks.  When it came to NZ in 1941 it would have had no accessories apart from pto and possibly the swinging drawbar. It is still on its 24 inch 3 piece pneumatic tyre rims .

W-4_1941-g.jpg

Ih's and giant dinosaurs, that would be a fun day for my family, 

• Like 3

On 1/13/2020 at 8:46 AM, o121937 said:

W-4_1941-g.jpg

A tractor as old as that has probably been fiddled with over its long life. I believe the first W-4 tractors that came to Australia in 1942 (?) were probably "bare bones" units with magneto only ignition, crank start and probably delivered on steel wheels. I've seen such a W-4 here. Many were later changed over to rubber tyres. Farmers are famous modifying their machinery to suit their operations. They weren't worried about being  "factory correct"!  My grandfather's W-4 (1944 from memory) and my father's Farmall H (194?), were both badged as "McCormick-Deering", both had rubber tyres, both had magneto only ignition, crank start, no lighting but both had belt pulleys and PTOs. The Farmall H had "AP" (Australian Production) disc style rear wheels and an Australian made muffler.  Dad toyed with the idea of fitting a generator and starter motor to the Farmall H. He was told that there were Chevrolet (truck?) units that would fit.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         I like the idea restoring an old tractor while keeping the farmer's modifications to old tractor to give that tractor a unique history. 

Regards from Michael H.😎

• Like 1

Hi Michael,

Yes most war-time imports here were bare bones as well.  Surprisingly a number of tractors, such as mine and a friends W-4 and the first WD-6 all came on rubber tyres, whereas the majority seemed to come on steel wheels.  My grandfather's Farmall M (2nd in South Island of NZ) also came in early 1940 with pneumatic tyres (single rib 6x16 front and 11x36 on 3 piece rims on back).  IHC, New Zealand, did not make their own wheels for the imported tractors, the small population did not justify it. However, the Australian made wheels are quite distinctive on the early tractors that I have seen when visiting across the Tasman.

Farmall-M_Cousins-Taken1944.jpg

• Like 1

On 1/11/2020 at 8:33 AM, Michael Halsall said:

For anyone interested the AOS-6 (Australian Orchard Special) was built from 1953 to 1958, had a 248 cu.in. engine, like the original W-6, but had some "Super" features such as a channel frame and optional 3 point hitch. There were 3 versions, an "Orchard" version with an undersung exhaust pipe etc,  a "Mixed Farm" version which had an upward exhaust pipe and was more like a W-6, and an AIS-6 "Industrial" version. They were all normally painted red although the industrials may have been available in yellow.   

I was offered  a mechanically restored, but not cosmetically restored, AOS-6 for $1400 Au. I declined the offer as I believe the current owner had spent that amount repairing the tractor and he should advertise it for $2000 Au and negotiate down from there. Actually I'd probably have been excommunicated and made live in the workshop if I'd come home with another "restoration project". I have to justify those sort of expenses to the Chief Financial Officer (She who must be obeyed!) I'm sure $1400 Au. could be spent elsewhere around the house! 

Regards from Michael. H. 😎

If I owned that tractor I'd display it in the bedroom, thus making it the workshop anyway!