826BB

1976 Scout Patriots in Philadelphia Bicentennial

Anybody here live in Philly during the Bicentennial?

Just uncovered an interesting fact. Eleven Patriot Scouts (seven Traveler, four Traveltop) were sent to the Philly IH factory owned dealer (4298 Manchester Street) around May 19, 1976. All built mostly nose to tail and shipped out at nearly the same time. That smacks of a purpose! Plus, that's 30 percent of the total production of documented Patriots going to one dealer when others only got one or two. That seems like a lot until you consider that on July 4, 1976, Philly had a BIG Bicentennial parade and hoopla. So did IH think they would sell a bunch-o-Patriots because of the Bicentennial, or were they sent to be parade vehicles or serve some other purpose in the event? I've done some online searches today and saw a lot of images of that parade, none containing any Patriots Scouts. Still, maybe the brain trust out there has seen something or even has some direct knowledge. Any and all tips appreciated.

Shown below is a Spirit of '76 model, one of three special Scouts with that appliqué offered as a promotion in 1976. The Spirit had a lot of unique components, plus was a soft top. The Patriot and SnoStar (a Patriot with a ski rack) were more standard Traveltop builds. They were Winter White (9219WH), with the 10876 appliqué, and Wedgewood Blue interior (either Deluxe or Custom trim). They could have any engine and trans combo and all available was seen in the 45 documented units produced. There was an undetermined number of undocumented (meaning no 10876 code on the LST) Patriots built starting as early as the end of January. Lots more to this story but you'll be able to read about it soon in an article I'm working on.

SpiritLR.jpg

Jim it was a company store. A lot of independent dealers picked up surplus units at the company store. Just a thought.

Most likely that explains it but wouldn't it be cool to find pictures of Patriot Scouts towing float in the Bicentennial Parade in Philadelphia, out nation's first capitol? Worth a little time to see.

• Like 1

Jim I believe in Nixon's 1972 inaugural parade the floats were pulled by Scout IIs.

BTW, the count of documented Patriots going to the Philly IH dealer has risen to 14, two orders of five and one of four.

Jim another thought. Would they have been shipped there to be sent to Baltimore to be shipped overseas for the US Olympic ski team?

Accounted for all 17 of the Olympic Scouts, which were built in September of 1975, and delivered the same month. Have the LSTs for ten of them. Plus the Olympics happened in February of 1976 and all 14 of those Philly Patriots were built in May. Not in time for the Olympics but JUST in time for the Bicentennial. ( : < )

Heck my Spirit was delivered to the dealership in July after the 4th. IIRC I bought it on July 17, 1976.

• Thanks 1