Off color question, but any help would be nice

cmanlove

I just bought a new starter from All States Ag for my JD 4440.  After installation, the solenoid will not disengage when I let the key go to run position.  I've replaced the key switch, start relay and even put the old starter solenoid back on the new starter.  Still same results.  What is you guys opinion of All States, could the new starter have a short or something,  I'm very confused.  Suggestions on trouble shooting without removing the starter, as JD engineering didn't make this a simple task.......

Either solenoid is sticking, but if doing it with the old one, kind of odd use a test light see if you are getting power to the small post from the start switch. Even though new switch, it might be sticking. Or like others have said teeth locking into the flywheel

Keep us posted

Mark

Take the small wire off the starter.  Attach a lead to the small post of the starter and put 12 volts to it which should start the tractor.  If it sticks on then it is internal to the starter.  That starter is probably an A and I or something of that quality which is not top tier but should still function correctly.  At work I have been putting denso gear reduction starters on that age of Deere.  They draw less juice, crank faster, and you can purchase them new in a few different brands.  Not cheap but work very well.  I just got one that is a WAI brand for 240.  That has not been put on a tractor yet.  I had been getting denso and leece Neville.  A denso is more like 500.   

do as above as more checks needed, is it mechanical or electric engage circuit?

check wiring? routing of current different.

last 4 years it has been a lot of issue with metric (sae) marked gears 9.5-10.2 teeth where 10 should be

my shop checks EVERY part while still in packing as they are such %$&*^% no return if opened

40 years ago when china %$^%*( started we had  a large run of electric only solenoids with several shorts,.built in.

all ways parked tractor in gear, brakes on, key out,when facing down hill and battery hit lower level, starter would engage and tractor would walk off. 200' if it had room.

Was this new or reman?  I rebuild a fair number of starters of green machines, if it's  reman nippendenso they might have the arm from the solenoid to the bendix in backwards.......made that mistake late one night and it woke me up quick after we got it on the tractor and it would not shut off.  

If the drive cant go back they will hold solenoid engaged. If a Delco even spring in solenoid could be missing. Here is a good lesson though any time you start a tractor in cold weather, any variety have something handy to disconnect batteries. Cold thick oil or grease will hold starter in only way to release is motor starts to work drive back. Have had to unhook battery many times with cold weather

Paystar5000, thanks this is what im looking for, a way to isolate the starter from the system without removing it.  As I mentioned earlier, not an easy task!    Where should the key position be, run? or off?  I'm a mechanical guy, electric is out of my realm!

1 hour ago, cmanlove said:

Paystar5000, thanks this is what im looking for, a way to isolate the starter from the system without removing it.  As I mentioned earlier, not an easy task!    Where should the key position be, run? or off?  I'm a mechanical guy, electric is out of my realm!

The John Deere isn’t bad to remove if you buy the wrench from Deere for it.

Thanks all for your help.  I isolated the starter from tractor system, powered the solenoid and got same response so I'm assuming I got a bad new starter.  Got to pull starter, again, and start over.  Glad I do have that "special wrench"!  You can bet I'll bench test the replacement this time!