Sign in to follow this  
Atilathehun99

Braunschweiger Dip

6 minutes ago, dads706 said:

Braunschweiger  was always referred to as "Liver Wurst" by my german grandparents or simply 'Liver Sausage". Though not a fan of the stuff straight from the package, every Christmas gathering had the dip that you give. I was the first one to dig in. The variety that I make does not use mayo. Mine is more of a 'spread' than a 'dip'. Usually a knife to spread and club or wheat crackers.  I mixed up a batch just this past week. 

As a kid, the 1950's version of the coffee crowd would sit around the stove at the general store on winter days and snack on raw hamburger on saltine crackers (with a healthy amount of black pepper). 

My dad emigrated from the Netherlands, I'll always remember the liver and onions he'd make when mom was not home, she hated the smell!  I enjoyed it.  He always called the braunschwieger liver wurst too. 

Raw hamburger?!  I've never heard of eating ground beef raw...  might have to try it like that sometimes.  Lord knows I've been in a hurry and ate some undercooked hamburgers before, and survived each time!  

20 hours ago, Atilathehun99 said:

I'm not fond of Pecan pie.

I'm right with you on your taste for liver and onions and braunschweiger, but good Lord, man; who could dislike pecan pie??

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ihfarmer1586 said:

My dad emigrated from the Netherlands, I'll always remember the liver and onions he'd make when mom was not home, she hated the smell!  I enjoyed it.  He always called the braunschwieger liver wurst too. 

Raw hamburger?!  I've never heard of eating ground beef raw...  might have to try it like that sometimes.  Lord knows I've been in a hurry and ate some undercooked hamburgers before, and survived each time!  

I have heard the raw hamburger called Tiger Meat. Lots of salt and pepper.

When I was a kid, late 50's my mother used to buy braunshweiger in a tube, Oscar Meyer IIRC. Slice it thin and make sandwiches with it. I liked it on raisin bread, white bread not so much. I haven't had it since probably the early 60's. Forgot about it until reading this thread.

They still make it :)https://www.oscarmayer.com/our-products/cold-cuts/00044700012802

4 hours ago, ihfarmer1586 said:

Think they call it steak tartar.

1 hour ago, Red Collector said:

I'm right with you on your taste for liver and onions and braunschweiger, but good Lord, man; who could dislike pecan pie??

I know, I know, I'm the dessert Black Sheep.  My mother is a Texan and and excellent baker.  Pecan pie is huge on her side of the family.  Actually it's pretty big on my dad's side too.

As I've gotten older I'm much less inclined to eat sweets.  I have a slice of apple, rhubarb, or cherry pie but now days pass on everything cake, buckle, cobbler (including shoe makers), muffins, tarts, ya da, ya da.

Liver wurst👍

Liver and onions👍

Pecan pie👎

Any pie with fruit or pumpkin👍 

And raw hamburger with some Lowries season salt on it👍

• Sad 1

Thanks for the recipe!

Raw beef is great! We butcher our own meat sometimes and I love the taste of raw beef. When we are cutting it up I eat all the small scraps.

Thx-Ace

• Like 1

RAW HAMBURGER  ONIONS PEPPER ON RYE BREAD.  RAW DOG..CANABLE SANDWICHS..LOL