Sign in to follow this  
Atilathehun99

Braunschweiger Dip

Love eating liver.

Not only is it one of those love/hate foods it's also one of those that are good for you/bad for you too.  Anyway.......

Around New Year's always make Braunschweiger dip w/ this being the general recipe (amounts not specified).

• Braunschweiger
  • Chopped onions
  • Mustard
  • Cream cheese
  • Sour cream
  • Garlic
  • Pepper

Just wondering, for those that make it, how they do it?

im just wondering how anyone can keep it down after eating it 😲

• Haha 3

Just now, searcyfarms said:

im just wondering how anyone can keep it down after eating it 😲

Like I said, love/hate.

It's not everyone's cup of tea.  Or meat based dip for that matter.

.....not familiar   with the big long   "B"   word........but ........you are right on in regards  to liver eating, 'tilla'......

...lambs fry    (liver )..with liberal  dosing of  bacon, onions  and other bits is really good tucker........as long as you are not watching   a recent     "Hannibal     Lector "     film.........:(

Mike

Just now, Atilathehun99 said:

Like I said, love/hate.

It's not everyone's cup of tea.  Or meat based dip for that matter.

oh how i know, my gma made all kinds of stuff like that, blood pudding, Braunschweiger, fried brains, pigs feet, snout, tail, ears, knuckles, liverwurst, mincemeat pie, mtn oysters, i never did generate a taste for that stuff - im more of a cobbler kinda guy!!! 

Just now, searcyfarms said:

oh how i know, my gma made all kinds of stuff like that, blood pudding, Braunschweiger, fried brains, pigs feet, snout, tail, ears, knuckles, liverwurst, mincemeat pie, mtn oysters, i never did generate a taste for that stuff - im more of a cobbler kinda guy!!! 

You like making shoes?

• Haha 4

Brownswagger ranks right up there with goonburber on the scale of stuff I won't eat.

7 minutes ago, bkorth said:

Brownswagger ranks right up there with goonburber on the scale of stuff I won't eat.

I'm not fond of Pecan pie.

• Sad 2

It's good dog food....

Never had it but my mom used to make us eat liver and onions.  Ill never eat at again unless I am starving and have to.  

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Atilathehun99 said:

I'm not fond of Pecan pie.

me neither, i like the non smelly shoe type cobblers more on the line of fruit blackberry/blueberry/razzleberry/loganberry/dewberry/elderberry/raspberry/cherry/peach/apple im making myself hungry

14 minutes ago, hobbyfarm said:

Never had it but my mom used to make us eat liver and onions.  Ill never eat at again unless I am starving and have to.  

Not familiar with this particular dip but as a child what ever was served on the table was expected to be eaten, I was quite lucky as my mother was a good cook and excellent baker BUT walking in and smelling liver was never on my favourite list

Fast forward to today I really enjoy it occasionally as a treat, have to have HP sauce to accompany, I will usually order at a restaurant and not subject the rest to endure. Liver makes the best brown gravy, awesome with onions and mashed potatoes. Mincemeat is pretty good too in tarts and pies.

I eat braunschweiger sandwichs. The dip sounds interesting.

WWhat do you dip in it? Potato chips, corn chips, crackers? Pork rinds? Cracklins?

WWhat's the full recipe?

TThx-Ace

• Like 1

That concoction sounds like it would give me enough gas to peel paint off a john deere

• Haha 1

I've enjoyed making sandwiches with braunschweiger, good stuff!  I'd like to try some of that dip...

• Like 1

I love braunschweiger sandwiches. I never did care for liver though so figure that one out. I'd like to try that dip though. Sounds good.

We used to have a little family bar in town that served braunschweiger sandwiches. They called it “goose liver”. 
I was in there on night and after a few rounds I told the waitress to bring me a sandwich. She asked what kind of sandwich and I said surprise me with something. She  brought me a “goose liver” on rye with pepper cheese, onion and hot mustard. It was truly a gastronomic experience that I will always remember. 

44 minutes ago, 1206 4 ever said:

That concoction sounds like it would give me enough gas to peel paint off a john deere

Wouldn't take much 

Liver and onions is good eatin yum yumm🤤🤪

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Littlefeller said:

Liver and onions is good eatin yum yumm🤤🤪

x2 on that!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, acem said:

I eat braunschweiger sandwichs. The dip sounds interesting.

WWhat do you dip in it? Potato chips, corn chips, crackers? Pork rinds? Cracklins?

WWhat's the full recipe?

TThx-Ace

Crackers of all sorts but my fave is to "dip" (using the term loosely) on cocktail rye bread.

As for recipes I usually wing it w/ it being some general variation of this one from the web -

• 12 ounces braunschweiger, buy a good, quality brand (I use 16 oz)
  • 1 8 oz package cream cheese, room temperature
  • 4 green onions, sliced plus 2 tablespoons for garnish (I use chopped red onions)
  • 2 to 4 tablespoons mayonnaise (I omit Mayo and substitute sour cream at the end to adjust the amount to make it "dippable")
  • 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce (I double)
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice (I use juice from 1/2 lemon)
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • Assorted crackers, rye bread and/or vegetables

11 hours ago, 2+2 Guy said:

We used to have a little family bar in town that served braunschweiger sandwiches. They called it “goose liver”. 
I was in there on night and after a few rounds I told the waitress to bring me a sandwich. She asked what kind of sandwich and I said surprise me with something. She  brought me a “goose liver” on rye with pepper cheese, onion and hot mustard. It was truly a gastronomic experience that I will always remember. 

That is what my great aunt always called it "goose liver" ,i like it but  i try to eat it only occasionally, hard on the ticker. I think the main ingredients ,from there old recipe, are liver and pork fat.

As bad as it seemed as a kid any of the organ meats of an animal are the most nutritious for us to eat. 

Braunschweiger  was always referred to as "Liver Wurst" by my german grandparents or simply 'Liver Sausage". Though not a fan of the stuff straight from the package, every Christmas gathering had the dip that you give. I was the first one to dig in. The variety that I make does not use mayo. Mine is more of a 'spread' than a 'dip'. Usually a knife to spread and club or wheat crackers.  I mixed up a batch just this past week. 

Funny how stuff like this is always a 'Holiday' food. A variation of your recipe,.... my family will also use the same ingredients but substitute 'Dried Beef' chopped in the food processor instead of the Braunschweiger.

As a kid, the 1950's version of the coffee crowd would sit around the stove at the general store on winter days and snack on raw hamburger on saltine crackers (with a healthy amount of black pepper). Or sometimes german hot mustard.  I remember one guy who's mother made her own mustard.   Gawd the memories, these people have been dead for 60 years. Still remember it like yesterday though.

• Like 3