Sign in to follow this  
vtfireman85

M with dry fuel filter..again

It has always bugged me that my M has a dry fuel filter, in line clear, I even tried going to a 3/8 filter to reduce restriction, didn’t help, I have had people tell me don’t worry about it if it’s running ok, I sit there is merit to that, the other day I was draining the water in the tires , it’s the tires would go flat (it was already on a slight incline) it would lope and stumble, put air back in, as the tractor came up the engine smoothed out, let them down lope and stumble, fill them up smooth right out. Checked the filter , clean but dry, took it off I can blow through fine, fuel lines and sediment bowl are new, tank is shiny, clean and I can clearly see the little nipple in the bottom is free from obstruction, sediment bowl screen is clear, using fresh ethanol free fuel. Taking the fuel cap off doesn’t make a difference and the sediment  bowl stays full. 

I am contemplating a tee with oil pressure line below the filter running back to the tank as a vent. Loosen

is it a float issue? This thing runs strong , of late it occasionally stumbles like its starving when it suddenly encounters a load. I have yet to try the clear hose truck to see where it is in the bowl, but it’s my next stop. 

If your sediment bowl is put together correctly and has all the parts is there a reason you’re using an inline filter besides?    Should work just fine without the inline filter....

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, nate said:

If your sediment bowl is put together correctly and has all the parts is there a reason you’re using an inline filter besides?    Should work just fine without the inline filter....

I’ve got a lot of money in my carb, seems like cheap insurance, also I like being able to see fuel flow

Inline filters are ok,they wont hurt a thing but if your lacking fuel needle valve in float is sticking I bet.Can look clean but it needs to drop like a feather to work clean off varnish,clean jets,mixture screws ,also add something of high quality to your gas to counter act ethanol.

9 minutes ago, Jacka said:

Inline filters are ok,they wont hurt a thing but if your lacking fuel needle valve in float is sticking I bet.Can look clean but it needs to drop like a feather to work clean off varnish,clean jets,mixture screws ,also add something of high quality to your gas to counter act ethanol.

Anything is possible but this gets ethanol free and marine sta-bil as its regular diet, carb job maybe 5 years old, a full overall, I can take apart to inspect but I have a lot of faith in the carb

Just the nature of an inline fuel filter.   You never know it if the filter is not transparent.  What happens if you take the fuel line off at the carburetor and run fuel into a bucket.  Hold the bucket at or lower than carburetor level.  Then hold bucket almost as high as the fuel level in the tank. The filter may fill when held above bottom of the tank. And then it may again form an air space when returned to below tank fuel level.  Has nothing to do with carburetor one way or another but you need a strong full flow of fuel in all positions. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

Anything is possible but this gets ethanol free and marine sta-bil as its regular diet, carb job maybe 5 years old, a full overall, I can take apart to inspect but I have a lot of faith in the carb

Did you check screen on end of fuel line going into carb.Maybe you did and I missed you said that . 

Just for info. I never liked the looks of inline filters myself. I used to have an old 1965 Cadillac and noticed there was a filter in the lift pump bowl. Its a wix 33039. I remove the screen in the sediment bowl and install the 33039 in all my old gas tractors. Works great and keeps the factory look.

4 hours ago, pete23 said:

Just the nature of an inline fuel filter.   You never know it if the filter is not transparent.  What happens if you take the fuel line off at the carburetor and run fuel into a bucket.  Hold the bucket at or lower than carburetor level.  Then hold bucket almost as high as the fuel level in the tank. The filter may fill when held above bottom of the tank. And then it may again form an air space when returned to below tank fuel level.  Has nothing to do with carburetor one way or another but you need a strong full flow of fuel in all positions. 

How do I explain my stumbling when it is pitched uphill?

If filter is full of fuel then it’s plugged. Had 300 Cummins diesels that where like that. Your stumbling is likely due to carb or tuning. 

Ymmv, John 

I would point it up hill and then check fuel flow and it should be the same as on the level.  If that checks out, think carburetor main jet adjustment or float level if you are confident it is not ignition. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Weapon said:

If filter is full of fuel then it’s plugged. Had 300 Cummins diesels that where like that. Your stumbling is likely due to carb or tuning. 

Ymmv, John 

Yeah, but this is dry, not even a puddle in it 

• Thanks 1

I had the very same problem with a C. Found a small crack in the sediment bowl casting. It would rather suck air in than gas! Changed out the whole thing problem solved. I used a clear plastic tubing for a gas line . Started out with a full line of gas and as the tractor ran the line would start to get air in it ! How can this be? Well the crack in the pot metal casting would allow air in ! Why the crack ? Over tightening the bail on the bowl ! No one could believe it either ! Try it you may like it !

• Thanks 1

Don"t forget to check for such things as a scrap of gas logged wood, leaf, or even piece of poorly applied fuel tank liner in gas tank that moves around.

looks like you need to load it up and bring it to Ohio and we'll figure it out.

• Thanks 1

Its seems to me that's just the way they work.    Don't understand it. But they are are almost always empty.       I had a 79 ford the filter was after the fuel pump. and t stayed empty 

55 minutes ago, 1586 Jeff said:

You need to have Rick work his magic on it.  We all know how much HE likes Ms!!!!

Yeah, well today I split wood with the bloody ford 2 n, I discovered today I had managed to destroy my tubes in my M tires the D14 has the generator out for rebuilding and I was too lazy to go get a different one 9 miles away. I nearly Died! The miserable thing smokes so bad and the underslung exhaust points right back at you, every time the splitter cycles, the tractor puffs extra smoke in addition to its already prolific blue haze, it's like splitting wood with my chain smoking grandmother, my head is pounding, my throat is sore and I had to wash my bibs and sweatshirt because of the stink. 

Ill bring him an N with Dearborn loader in exchange for his M. It even has tracks.

:angry::angry::angry: 

• Haha 1

On December 31, 2019 at 6:47 AM, augercreek said:

I had the very same problem with a C. Found a small crack in the sediment bowl casting. It would rather suck air in than gas! Changed out the whole thing problem solved. I used a clear plastic tubing for a gas line . Started out with a full line of gas and as the tractor ran the line would start to get air in it ! How can this be? Well the crack in the pot metal casting would allow air in ! Why the crack ? Over tightening the bail on the bowl ! No one could believe it either ! Try it you may like it !

I'll check it, it is a brand new bowl and valve form case as of 6 years ago or so...

On 12/30/2019 at 9:24 PM, vtfireman85 said:

Yeah, but this is dry, not even a puddle in it 

That means it is very very clean and fuel flow downstream is very low.

Paper fuel  filters only fill to the point where enough fuel is flowing through the paper to satisfy downstream demands. As the paper becomes clogged, the level of fuel rises in the filter to get to clean paper so it can continue flowing. A full filter indicates that it is due to be changed, as it will be fully plugged soon.

This is basic physics.

You have an air bubble trapped within the filter.

That bubble does not restrict the flow of fuel to the carburetor.

It will flow a full line of fuel with the bubble in the filter.

The fuel flows through the lower portion of the filter and sends fuel to the carburetor as needed.

A full line of fuel at the carb.

If you were running a rubber hose from the tank to the carburetor, you could pull the hose at the carburetor.

Then put your finger over the end of the hose and let that end of the hose down and as close to the ground as you can get.

That will release the trapped air bubble and it will flow up to the tank and the filter will be full of fuel.

But, when you replace the hose on the carb, if any air gets back into the line, it will work it's way back up to the filter and be trapped there again.

The basic gravity fed line that originally came on IH's had no filter, there was no filter to trap air, so the fuel lines ran full as any air worked it's way back to the tank.

You just could not see it. The sediment bowl is the tried and proven fuel filter on these tractors and it worked very well.

As to the running rough, yes, the float can be an issue and should be correct. Because of the incline issue, a carb overhaul is where I would start.

You may also need to play with the idle and main jet to get it running as well as you want

• Like 1