farmallman77

Large impact sockets.

I'm looking for sockets bigger than 1 1/8.  

I'd like 1/2 drive deep well impact.  Need them to go from 1 1/8 to 2 inch.  

I have craftsman and like em but I'm not opposed to others.    Snapon and mac are out of the budget.   

What do you suggest and where can I find them? 

Thanks.

Chris. 

Proto and Landmesser tools     Landmesser Tools Company

Sorry missed that you wanted 1/2 drive ---nevermind

I have snap-on they are very expensive thou my set of "1/2 drive deep  goes from 3/8 to 1 1/2 size Don't think snap-on offers anything larger in "1/2 inch drive then they'll go to 3/4 drive then I use an adapter and that works for larger socket sizes

Can you just go to 3/4" drive. Think they would be much easier to find. 

• Like 1

Google { Gey Pneumatic }. They are Taiwan made but they are very good. Reasonably priced.

• Like 2

They buy a lot of Proto and S-K for work,. We bolt flanges on pipe and our stud bolts start at 1-1/8 and go up to 3-7/8 for our common sizes. These two brands last at work with all kinds of abuse and are warranted. Our buyers are so cheap that these have to be the best deal

I have S-K tools. For me they're the best combination of American made, warrantied, good quality, and affordable-ish. I recommend them.

• Like 1

Grey pneumatic or sunex off Amazon. I use their 1/2 and 3/8 impact stuff daily as well as matco. They work and are cheap

Wright tool. They make good tools at a fair price.  Most of my bigger impact sockets are that 

1 hour ago, sandhiller said:

Can you just go to 3/4" drive. Think they would be much easier to find. 

Good point.  Never thought of that.  I think I will go that route.    I can always use a 1/2 to 3/4 for use on an impact until I get a dedicated 3/4 one.  

Chris

• Like 2

I just got a 40 inch long 3/4 breaker bar and a 1.25" deep impact socket to get the wheels off our RV torqued to 500 FP from Northern Tool.

This stuff was made in Taiwan and Northern has  lifetime warranted it.   Also got a socket from McMasterr  3/4 inch drive deep 9/16 inch socket. It is a PROTO 07509L  stamped USA for a special high torque reduced head size  application. I was surprised at the USA stamp on the proto, expected another Taiwan.

The machining and stamping appears much better on the PROTO,  Only $25, 9/16 socket I will ever own.

Chicago Pneumatics handles some big impact sockets.  Never used them, but years ago I brought some in for a steel mill I used to sell stuff to (along with a 1 1/2" drive impact).  They were used to work on the huge electric motors that they ran.  They didn't complain about them.  That's been almost 20 years ago, but it looks like they're still in business.

Not sure where you can get them, but I'd imagine if you contacted them you could find out.

https://www.cp.com/en-us/tools/products/accessories/consumables/sockets/sockets3-4

I've only ever had one of these HF sockets and I picked that up because I couldn't find my 1 1/2. I hammered away on a few big nuts and it didn't break or show any wear. Found my Matco where I left it - on another impact wrench.☹️

https://www.harborfreight.com/34-in-drive-sae-impact-deep-socket-set-8-pc-67935.html

I have Sunex. Probably 20 years now. Haven't broke one yet.

buy a 3/4 drive set and get a 1/2 reducer - thats what i use on mine/impact i hate lugging around the 3/4 impact vs 1/2 

I have a 4' 750 or 800ft lb  3/4" drive torque wrench that we use to use for "big" or stubborn stuff.  Now I have a tiny, light, easy to carry 18v millwaukee 1/2" impact that will outwork the 4' wrench.  I put a 3/4" adapter on it. I can't even imagine one of their 3/4 or 1" guns. 

You loose a little bit using a reducer, I dunno if you can get what you want but I’m very happy with Carlyle from NAPA

Don’t believe that you will find any sockets larger than 1 1/2” in 1/2” drive from anyone. Will have to go 3/4” drive for larger sizes 

On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 7:54 AM, farmallman77 said:

Good point.  Never thought of that.  I think I will go that route.    I can always use a 1/2 to 3/4 for use on an impact until I get a dedicated 3/4 one.  

Chris

..like the welding  thread on here recently........where I roused the ire of some  welders for having the temerity to suggest  that American   made Miller   is the way forward.......

......I will say Chris....."".buy   American tools.""....all those name brand stuff mentioned on this thread is just the best......Wright/Sherman Klove/Proto/  Snap On /Williams.....bloody good stuff ,that will last you forever.......!!!!

...even down under  in NZ.....there is amongst the older blokes, a huge affection for  made in USA......I recently lost out of the Hyundai Excavator  door, ......(yeah, I know..it should have been in the tool box...not on the floor....sigh ..) one of my three, 12 inch Crescent   Tools.....I spent hours looking for that tool...way beyond what it is worth in dollar terms........had it been a gook   made one.....shrug your shoulders and move on...

You never regret buying quality...and quality is all around you.....over in your country

Mike

• Like 2