The Horse and Mule Thread

WishIhada1466

30 minutes ago, sandhiller said:

Man from Snowy River had nothing on the soldiers from Ft Robinson, Nebr. pic is from the 40's

1946076406_horseftrob40s.thumb.jpg.afac3fef92a35543ab70c9b9ffa4aa73.jpg

That was a good movie. The song that Sigrid Thornton was playing on the piano was  Furelise by Beethoven. One of my favorites .  That movie inspired my niece to learn it while she was in high school. 

She got so she could play it perfectly . 

Kirk Douglas did a great job  playing two different Characters. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, lorenzo said:

That was a good movie. The song that Sigrid Thornton was playing on the piano was  Furelise by Beethoven. One of my favorites .  That movie inspired my niece to learn it while she was in high school. 

She got so she could play it perfectly . 

Kirk Douglas did a great job  playing two different Characters. 

Great movie. The Long Riders dusters gave way to Aussie oilskins as a fashion statement in my set(I wuz to broke to afford either). All my money went to gas money and entry fees.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, exSW said:

Great movie. The Long Riders dusters gave way to Aussie oilskins as a fashion statement in my set(I wuz to broke to afford either).

Bought an oilskin off a ranch sale. Dang thing weighs about 20#. But, if you are out riding in weather you shouldn't be out in, it will keep you warm and dry.?

• Like 2

Some photos from the "pre-tractor days"

2012-03-189508_58_32.thumb.jpg.0a80b0774964a8ccb51cf0da92f113a5.jpg

This is Duke and Prince. I raised them from colts. They're about 5 in this picture. The disk was a 5' tractor disk that I modded for horse use. We were getting corn ground ready. 

0316131538b.thumb.jpg.f7ce2da8b0fa344ea09438524f338b06.jpg

This is a different field, we planted it to beans I think that year. I built the cart so I could pull my harrows and not eat dust walking behind.

1849695338_2012-07-2319_43_38.thumb.jpg.0f2c5d22fc05afad26ef616407d9cb24.jpg

Dragging the garden down here. Spent a lot of my youth riding a crosstie smoothing ground. 

1445727077_2011-07-0211_25_35.thumb.jpg.c0f2a5221948014f49642a038060906f.jpg

Clipping pasture with an IHC #6 mower. I cut hay last year with the mower, albeit behind the Cub. The nearest horse was Sock, uncle to the others and in his 20's at the time. One of the finer horses I had.

Sadly the horses are gone now. Old Sock died last year (he was 30) and the team was sold about 3 or 4 years ago. Just no time to work them, and no sense letting them stand around. I do miss it though. Lots of people would stop and watch when I worked fields along the road, and it was almost relaxing. No roaring motors or loud machinery. Just the smooth rolling earth, chains jangling, and the sounds of spring. 

Mac

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Great pictures MacAr----

"Just the smooth rolling earth, chains jangling, and the sounds of spring"--------in addition to the occasional Gee or Haw , or Whoa floating across the field in my Grampa's voice!!!!

The quietness and peacefulness always struck a note with me when watching Paw work his mules in south Mississippi when I was a kid.  (late '40s)

Thanks for re-kindling the old memories.

DD

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 3/28/2020 at 4:18 PM, sandhiller said:

Bought an oilskin off a ranch sale. Dang thing weighs about 20#. But, if you are out riding in weather you shouldn't be out in, it will keep you warm and dry.?

I bought one for $20 from a guy. Barely been used. Worn it a few times riding in the rain. They work good. Always pack it when we ride in the mountains cuz ya never know.

• Like 2

Thank you all for your kind words. They're certainly appreciated, especially today. Grandad would've been 91 today... it was he who got me started working horses; I don't reckon he ever had a tractor, but there was always a couple horses or mules around there. 

16 hours ago, Delta Dirt said:

in addition to the occasional Gee or Haw , or Whoa floating across the field

Delta, I'll bet a dollar there aren't a handful of people left who even know what Gee and Haw mean. Those days are gone, sadly enough. Sure, the work was harder but I think we were happier then. Seemed like life was so much simpler. Ah well... time marches on.

Mac

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, MacAR said:

I miss my GPA too, he drove horses/mules and farmed with them. He couldnt teach me that he had a stroke and was crippled when i was growing up. So nice of you to remember your gpa today. 

Delta, I'll bet a dollar there aren't a handful of people left who even know what Gee and Haw mean. Those days are gone, sadly enough. Sure, the work was harder but I think we were happier then. Seemed like life was so much simpler. Ah well... time marches on.

Mac

you are right, gee/haw take on a whole new meaning when trying to back up a team too LOL - they better be trained to move over and not go forward or back, that is an art in my book - takes a lot of time to get them to move over in unison and stay positioned, its pretty cool when you get them working like that 

• Like 2

I don't know how I didn't see this topic until today. Anyways horses have long been a big part of my life. I have spastic diplegia, which cause my leg muscles to be very tight, and I have found that riding allows me to keep walking. It's been said that the motion of the horse can replace several exercise machines found in a Therapy room. I have been riding since I was 4 years old at home and at age 5 to age 33 at the The Equestrian Therapy Program, located in Cridersville, OH. Here are some of my most memorable horses that have been part of my life over the years.    

This was taken in 1991 at the Equestrian Therapy Program.
1907825_10201585480878349_7987145393108882112_o.jpg

Here I am in 1995 at home with my horse Delcine. We had her until 2002 or 2003 when we had to put her down as old age got to her.
1795424_10201407117939387_9142165842141090741_o.jpg

Fast forward to 2010... This is Azra and my instructor Sarah. Sarah is who really helped me to be a good rider. 
39956_1263404804721_6296032_n.jpg

Moving on to 2012 with Azra, the first time I was able canter. (and about gave Sarah a panic attack)
204728_10151129394789123_595193749_o.jpg 

And now my two most favorite horses.

10537446_10201669542499837_4009182048745591634_n.jpg

This is Scotty, before he came to Equestrian Therapy, he was a reiner, trained my cousin's father in-law. He could definitely tell the difference between riders. He always did his best for me! I rode him from 2006 to 2017.

Which takes us to today. This is Tula.

84326178_10213064083796248_2831339752597225472_n.jpg

She was my cousin's roping horse, but she couldn't hold up to that sort of work so my cousin sold her to Equestrian Therapy in 2016, where I got to use her. Shortly thereafter, the Program underwent some management changes which led me to leave as well. From there I starting riding at my cousin's in-laws.  I thought that was the end of my time with Tula. But fate had other ideas, the Program reached out to me just after the first of this year to see if I would take Tula. She wasn't happy being a therapy horse. After MUCH thought, I took her in February. I'm currently boarding her at my cousin's in-laws, which is about an hour from my house.

Thanks to the COVID-19 crap and the travel restrictions, I can't go to the barn. This is the part that I hate the most about this whole situation. 

• Like 7

4 hours ago, searcyfarms said:

you are right, gee/haw take on a whole new meaning when trying to back up a team too LOL - they better be trained to move over and not go forward or back, that is an art in my book - takes a lot of time to get them to move over in unison and stay positioned, its pretty cool when you get them working like that 

That's no joke! Those boys of mine were good though. They'd back a wagon good, and a lot of times I'd work them by voice alone, and have the lines tied up to something. Good horses are hard to find, and they were the best if I did raise 'em myself. Happily, they went to a young gentleman who loves to go on wagon rides, and he uses them regularly.

Mac

• Like 1

On 1/4/2020 at 6:14 PM, Wes806 said:

My handicapp daughter is going thru a discovery rider's program now with horse's and she has really conneted with the horse. It is amazing to see these handicapp kids out there with the horse. They really enjoy iy and it helps with their low muscle tones and other low skills.

My former instructor Sarah, is the Program Director at Discovery Riders. :)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, FarmallFan said:

It's been said that the motion of the horse can replace several exercise machines found in a Therapy room.

And much more enjoyable. Hope you can get back to riding soon!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FarmallFan said:

My former instructor Sarah, is the Program Director at Discovery Riders. :)

I know who she is. She helped me and the wife to get my daughter started in Discovery Riders. I'll have to ask her if she remembers you when they start the classes back up..

• Like 2

On 3/28/2020 at 11:07 AM, sandhiller said:

Man from Snowy River had nothing on the soldiers from Ft Robinson, Nebr. pic is from the 40's

1946076406_horseftrob40s.thumb.jpg.afac3fef92a35543ab70c9b9ffa4aa73.jpg

Was this cavalry training before the 2nd war? 

Also, I bought an oilskin coat back in the early 80s, the big split that ties up around your leathers keeps you reasonably dry, not me riding a horse, me riding a sickle, still use it, they never wear out.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, WishIhada1466 said:

Yes he did. My favorite Kirk Douglas movie though would be Lonely are the Brave. Great movie. 

Great movie, loved the bar fight, never could stand the ending though.

10 minutes ago, Dasnake said:

Was this cavalry training before the 2nd war?

Established about 1874

In was a major base in the Indian wars

Crazy Horse of the Sioux surrendered here in 1877

Dull Knife of the Cheyenne was also held here. 

The Buffalo soldiers an all black regiment with mostly white officers were stationed here in the late 1800's

At the end of WWI, Fort Robinson became the world's largest Quartermaster remount depot. It was used as a breeding and training center for horses and mules for the military. They also used their studs to improve the areas horse stock. 

In WWII it was the site of a K-9 Corp training center. Later during the war it held a German POW camp.

The US Army abandoned the Fort in 1947 transferring it to the USDA for it's Beef Cattle Research Station.

Fort Robinson State Park was established in 1956 following the purchase of some of it's land by the Nebraska Game, Forestation and Parks Commission. The Federal Gov deeded over it's land holding and other purchases brought it back near it's original 22,000 acres. 

It is a worthwhile place to visit. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Wes806 said:

I know who she is. She helped me and the wife to get my daughter started in Discovery Riders. I'll have to ask her if she remembers you when they start the classes back up..

She better! :)

• Like 2

7 hours ago, sandhiller said:

297952119_horsechild.jpg.c2a43723316a18a413b14cd9f0a34fb2.jpg

I keep telling my wife and horse crazy daughter this but no they still want a little @$$holhole.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Some years ago, I was in a TN Civil War Re-enactors outfit. A guy with a 6 team of mules pulled an original 12 pounder cannon with casein. It was quite a show to watch him and his team maneuver. It was said that those caseins did not have any brakes and the teams, would have to out run the casein, to keep it from running over the team. Not sure if this is correct or not. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, sandhiller said:

297952119_horsechild.jpg.c2a43723316a18a413b14cd9f0a34fb2.jpg

very true, EVERY and I mean EVERY pony i have ever been around, worked with, owned, had little mans syndrome, put them in a pod of other ponies they have a pecking order like big horses BUT they still will try every person that gets on them, my BEST pony still had a TUDE..........rotten sucker, once you established dominance she was great but EVERY time over and over like her memory was bad, she would even refuse treats just to jack with you. I have never see a pony in a pasture that the PONY was not the boss no matter what kind of bigger horses were out there. 

We had a cross welch growing up, not sure with what but she was small, maybe 14.1ish.......she was white, but the best dang horse for a beginner - she would stand still for EVERYTHING, put anything on her and she would never move until prompted outside of stickign her head down to eat. She was not a fast horse but had a heart 10 x her size. She would move ever so gingerly when asked - you could use a halter or bit, made no difference and walk up to her in the pasture w/out anything, crawl on and say go to the house and she would head there,  never more than a walk. We rode her with dogs/cats/pigs in our arms, 3 or 4 of us kids at a time. sitting, standing crawling around on her. Swam with her in the pond, so much fun. Ive never owned a draft horse but I have been around several. I have been told they are built with that kind of a heart. 

• Like 2