Thoughts on canvas vs. plastic tarps

My M lives inside, but I’m going to be having it where it is outside for a month or so doing PTO duty. I could go down to the hardware store and get a cheap plastic tarp, maybe that is the way to go, but I am wondering about waxed canvas, I can have a 10x16 for around 100 dollars and it seems like the kind of thing that would hold up for a long time, I have always wondered how well they actually work vs the plastic ones. Any thoughts on the matter?

Canvas if you want it to last. Plastic tarps fall apart almost as quick as you can tie it down.

I would think you could treat it with some waterproofing treatment like you would treat a canvas tent with, if they still make canvas tents?

9 minutes ago, Ihfan4life said:

Canvas if you want it to last. Plastic tarps fall apart almost as quick as you can tie it down.

I would think you could treat it with some waterproofing treatment like you would treat a canvas tent with, if they still make canvas tents?

I’ve got stuff for convertible tops that works well, this is waxed however 

Of the wind will whip it around at all the canvas is harder on paint since it isn’t totally smooth. I bought a reinforced poly tarp this fall to cover my little planter with that lives outside. It has been nice so far

11 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

Of the wind will whip it around at all the canvas is harder on paint since it isn’t totally smooth. I bought a reinforced poly tarp this fall to cover my little planter with that lives outside. It has been nice so far

He could throw that quilt under the tarp... whoops, I forgot, his father gave it away😱

• Haha 3
22 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

Forget both........old billboard vinyl 

Do they have grommets?

I keep dads Farmall. C here at the house while I work on it . I,ve had it under a blue tarp ! Since summer , Look for blue one that have reinforced grommets cause of the wind . I also use a package of heat duty tie down straps. I think tractor supply are the most durable of the blue ,get what you pay for good luck, on the one . TVs one will last a year without fail if you observe care. 
I hate it but I only got so much room and I got th Fordson in the garage now ,so old Farmall C got the short straw. 
OH ️No sharp corners to cut or the wind will trash it. I also use a plastic gallon jug for a rain cap over the sharp muffler, wind will tear it up in a day. 
Oh ️Birds 🐦 will love you for the nice wind break. So prepare fro poop on the sheet metal and the foot treads. Every has it draw back s , might put some decon in the tool box 📦🐭will love you for the shop towels 😂🤣😂🤣
That’s about it. 

29 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

Good point, paint isn’t an issue in this case but it’s something to think about 

1 hour ago, vtfireman85 said:

Do they have grommets?

No, just cut opening with a knife as they will need to be cut anyhow to length since they are huge.  My old man was in billboard construction most of his life, he has been gone 10+ years and we are still using ones he brought home to cover manure piles to compost, as well as things that sit outside.  They are tough.

Maybe it’s just me but I find that tarps usually trap moisture and sweat so mad that they’re not worth it.  I just cover the seat with a garbage bag and toss a can over the exhaust 

• Thanks 1

My 656 loader tractor that lives outside. I have a small tarp, maybe 6x8, black on one side and silver on the other. Just covers steering wheel, console, seat etc. Keeps the snow off the main parts. I have had this tarp for years. I tarp my grass rig maybe 20 x 30 and put a milk house heater under it so I can keep water in it as long as possible. It also sits in the barn. Seems like I replace the tarp every year or two. 

I have a 20 x 30 tarp to keep weather off the on average 4 ton of feed I have on a flatbed trailer. Replace this tarp (black and silver) every year

I think not only construction but the bigger the tarp the more chance it has to whip and tear in the wind. Sun also degrades the plastic ones. If taken care of canvas would last the longest. You get what you pay for. I think of some of the canvas tarps my grandpa had, God only knows how old those things were. But he took care of them too. 

I don't think I would spend a lot on a tarp around here. If nothing else, the mice would get into it when it was in storage. I'll just keep buying the cheap ones. 

5 minutes ago, MTO said:

Find a large roofing contractor I get used Rubber Roofing in 16ft square pieces never deteriorates and it won't blow away

I second that. 

Unfortunately most of my stuff has to live outside and I have a plethora of the black rubber covering them. Fortunately there is a close manufacturer and I got a skid of overrun pieces. 

1 hour ago, SMDFarmboy24 said:

MTO   Find a large roofing contractor I get used Rubber Roofing in 16ft square pieces never deteriorates and it won't blow away

I second that. 

Unfortunately most of my stuff has to live outside and I have a plethora of the black rubber covering them. Fortunately there is a close manufacturer and I got a skid of overrun pieces. 

this is the best answer for todays PC. IF UV stable

have had OVER 200 tarps  8 x 8 to 80 x 120

truck vinyl is better but again 5 years and $300 + 10 x 10

pre 1980 flammable circus tents military material are they ONLY thing that works correct

ANYTHING !!!! china may well stay in their ocean

TS faux canvas will run you $150 +...maybe get 2 years

in ANY metro area the bill board material 

must be PC china weave and or recycled, std lasts 1 season ( great free if they knock it off the books)

the best grade has lasted me 5 years they are now so stiff and brittle any reuse makes holes, currently cant get replacement

off books.

have a case  of quality grommets and $500 tooling to make the fitted tarps  $40 + 2 h labor per.

rowley-grommet-button-press-gl?$s7Product$&fmt=png-alpha

If I find replacement material will give the genuine  midi clips a try at $1.50 ea   http://www.easyklip.com/midi_klip.php

• Thanks 1
8 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

My M lives inside, but I’m going to be having it where it is outside for a month or so doing PTO duty. I could go down to the hardware store and get a cheap plastic tarp, maybe that is the way to go, but I am wondering about waxed canvas, I can have a 10x16 for around 100 dollars and it seems like the kind of thing that would hold up for a long time, I have always wondered how well they actually work vs the plastic ones. Any thoughts on the matter?

Check out used billboard tarps, they are very cheap and come in almost any size imaginable.

https://billboardtarps.com/

I have bought several of these and they have outlasted every other sort of tarp I've ever used. They are in MN, however, so the shipping can be as much or more than the cost of the tarp. The wind will shred them if they get loose on one side and start flapping, but that the same for any tarp. There are some grommets but as I don't use them I can't say for sure they are all the way around.

X3 on the roll roofing as I have heard it called

29 minutes ago, nomorejohndeere said:

The fabric covered frames, "carports," in a size to cover a tractor aren't too spendy.

It would keep the "tarp" off sharp edges

wouldn't have to take it on and off and tie it down each time your using tractor

Gotta admit, I've been impressed with this so far. 

Take a morning for two people to put up. Could be your M's new home permanently!

It has lasted through some nasty weather. When the tarp goes, son thought maybe we could sheet it with tin???

It was $548 delivered from Northern Hydraulics

735991084_061619shed8.jpg.75e5b91d9747cbd4eafc86cbbb5fc5a6.jpg

Just to show size, used supercab with 8' flatbed to connect roof on top

519924379_061619shed7.jpg.870f1875064b574d14e18858a6459b01.jpg

• Like 1