Can anyone tell me the date?

Who knows how long the filter sat Before it came out of the box though. I know I have purchased filters from our IH dealer that were >5 years old before. Then they sat in my rotation for two years and were >7 years old when I opened the plastic.  My old timer buddy was the parts guy and was showing me the dates once. 

I wouldn't really worry about a filter several years old as long as it was stored someplace clean and dry.  I actually like the cellophane wrap or bag on a new filter,  but I got a filter for a T444E engine, also known as 7.3L PowerStroke that had clearly been spun on an engine,  never filled with oil but it was returned for a "New" filter.  I now check the filters in boxes before I leave the parts store.

I bought the tractor earlier this year decided to pull filters just to see what's in them . Looked like most had been changed before I got it.  It was pretty clean in there. 

I bought a $8 filter for my daughters car recently, happened to open the box while still in the store as several of the boxes looked a bit disheveled (I usually rach way back and pull one out that I figure hadn't been knocked off onto the floor) anyway, some cheap sob had put a $3 filter into the $8 box.   I like the boxes that have the sealed stickers over them like the Toyota, Bosch and Mobile1 boxes do.