IHC5488

7140, 1st off the line

Has anyone seen this. Does not show serial number during video.  Decals are just a smidge off I think, maybe a larger block letter font would help.

• Like 2

After going to so much effort to be original, I wonder why they used the later waffle style MFD front wheels. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Very nice, but the stripe is for a later one. Pretty sure the early ones had the large CASE and the small International not all the same size like what they have on it. It is still really nice though.

• Like 1

Waffle wheels was the first thing I noticed also. We're they those front weights at first or was the case IH ones available like the 89xx had? 

The front weights are correct for the 7100 series. The hood striping is also correct. The 94/96 series red Case tractors had the Case in large letters and the International in small. The second version of the Magnum stripe had the model number at the rear and smaller. The CaseInternational was at the front and were all larger. 

Ok. I will NEVER try to keep the correct police off my back as I hate those weights. Lol 

I think the '7140' numbers seem slightly off, but it's been so long I don't recall.  And shouldn't the side window slides be the metal ones similar to what an 86 series used?  Still he did a heck of a job on it.

Insides of hoods and side panels were never painted on any of ours. Early ones didn’t have a cup holder in cab just an inverted tray in that spot. We had a 7140 that was one of the first 2000.

FE1F53DD-C904-46ED-8DA0-123863978B2E.jpeg

6BCADA9D-4806-4620-9ADB-F5014830E7B2.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I have the same brochure that was seen in the video F9BD7182-4BF5-46F1-89A8-EC150BFAEEE3.thumb.jpeg.d1482771b4bc536540fe93e4afbf64fb.jpeg

I also have the very first magnum brochure that my dealer gave me in late 87 or early 88 

I was one of the lucky ones to get it because he had a very limited supply 

5E42C52D-7D78-4EED-9658-9CB6CB656D60.jpeg

DCE577D1-F524-42CB-924F-B9A9CD4C7BB3.jpeg

641DB30B-5D30-41D8-8CEB-6C6891647CAD.jpeg

A30658C8-CB9E-4B26-8483-BD8F77687C34.jpeg

D57803C6-C309-442A-B350-9725E038B066.jpeg

0CBA0EB5-D95E-4836-BA0C-06118E94190C.jpeg

C20BB23F-24AB-420E-B2E2-AEE288FC1ADC.jpeg

F7A9C8AB-2FB8-4E25-9525-C5F1B88C07C5.jpeg

• Like 3

19 hours ago, striker782 said:

The front weights are correct for the 7100 series. The hood striping is also correct. The 94/96 series red Case tractors had the Case in large letters and the International in small. The second version of the Magnum stripe had the model number at the rear and smaller. The CaseInternational was at the front and were all larger. 

Yeah the stripe like the red Case tractors had, was sure the first few that came to our dealer where I worked were like that. Can't find my picture of the first one that came in. There is one in the Red Tractor book with that style decal. Time does funny things to a memory, wish I could find that picture.

9 hours ago, 5088 said:

I think the '7140' numbers seem slightly off, but it's been so long I don't recall.  And shouldn't the side window slides be the metal ones similar to what an 86 series used?  Still he did a heck of a job on it.

The font of the numbers is off. 

Travis

Cool.  But its kinda whanky why you would do stickers wrong.  Its a historic type thing so imho there is no excuse not to know its not right.  I can't believe I am being a CorrectCop...😐

Imagine if Danny did the 1st 1086 and used them Chinka stickers with weird font?  Riots in the streets be all over MN

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Sparky said:

The font of the numbers is off. 

Travis

It’s so strange that they just can’t copy the numbers exactly. 

This is the restore tractors numbers from the video 

E832344C-2C54-4AC5-8ACB-06D4A931B4B3.jpeg.fd95c35122c5f22ccfb081921b50582d.jpeg

And here is the picture from the original brochure, The zero is more of an oval shape and the other numbers seem to be taller and thinner on the restored tractor.C20E0724-A8C9-4AAF-BACC-FA5E9C8B7DAF.thumb.png.cbc2fed876a283db723952439f8887a9.png

• Thanks 1

The early ones had the flat part of the dual rims painted black. I believe the early style decals are no longer available so maybe they are custom made. one more thing about the early ones is if you turn the key backwards or forwards to accessory, I forget which, the Ih symbol appears along the bottom of the RPM display screen. I was told IH engineers slid that in there at the last minute. My 7120 has it.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I didn't think the early ones had HYD flow controls in the cab either. But that is a beautiful tractor and I wish it was mine.

7 hours ago, jdetig1 said:

I didn't think the early ones had HYD flow controls in the cab either. But that is a beautiful tractor and I wish it was mine.

It was an option, I don’t ever recall seeing a magnum without the flow controls 

Just like the dual PTO was an option on the 7120, I’ve never seen a 7120 without the dual PTOs 

A6483801-7A4C-4765-A76A-A0BABF81DAFA.jpeg

LOL. I saw that tractor on bookface about a month ago and noticed the "irregularities", but I don't call myself a member of the "correct police", either. One other thing I noticed....didn't the early Magnums have a tin shield over the back of the alternator that bolted to the 4 bolts that tie the alternator halves together? I remember them that way, anyways. This one had the back of the alternator open like the later classic Magnums.

As far as hydraulic flow controls, the in-cab controls were optional. The standard setup had knobs that were fastened to the flow control spools on top of the remote valves under the cab...that was a holdover from the 94 series Case tractors. I had a couple early 7100 series with that setup around here years ago.

I also agree about the 7120 with dual-speed PTO; I never seen one with just the single shaft big 1000 PTO, either. However, that was the standard offering for a 7120.

Another thing that most people don't realize was an option on those tractors is the MFD driveshaft cover/shield. It was not standard equipment.

Mine had the knobs under the cab........stupidest idea ever other than the setup with the knobs on the console.  Why didn't they put the same knobs at the rear of the dash the 88's had is beyond me, they worked well and had full range of flow without messing with anything.

Mine has the knobs under the cab also. The only nice thing about them is they don’t seize up like the ones inside the cab.

On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 4:56 PM, striker782 said:

After going to so much effort to be original, I wonder why they used the later waffle style MFD front wheels. 

Didn't the early MFD wheels have trouble with cracking and breaking? Was probably switched over early on in its life because of this

23 hours ago, 1256IHman said:

Didn't the early MFD wheels have trouble with cracking and breaking? Was probably switched over early on in its life because of this

Yes, they did, BJ. Especially dealerships like mine where a lot of 71/7200 series Magnums had front-end loaders mounted on them. Those early-style wheels just had open loops welded to the rim that had a carriage bolt go through them to hold the wheel to the rim disc. All that extra weight up front(think of a loader with a full-size round bale in its bucket) would really stress those loops. Have seen several blacksmith/welding shops reinforce those rims by adding gussets/straps to the loops to beef them up, but it still was a problem.

In regard to Striker's comment, I believe he meant that if they went to all that trouble to restore that tractor, they would have found the correct rims for an original 7140 instead of the waffle rims that came out on 8900 series Magnums IIRC.

3 hours ago, SDman said:

Yes, they did, BJ. Especially dealerships like mine where a lot of 71/7200 series Magnums had front-end loaders mounted on them. Those early-style wheels just had open loops welded to the rim that had a carriage bolt go through them to hold the wheel to the rim disc. All that extra weight up front(think of a loader with a full-size round bale in its bucket) would really stress those loops. Have seen several blacksmith/welding shops reinforce those rims by adding gussets/straps to the loops to beef them up, but it still was a problem.

In regard to Striker's comment, I believe he meant that if they went to all that trouble to restore that tractor, they would have found the correct rims for an original 7140 instead of the waffle rims that came out on 8900 series Magnums IIRC.

They had trouble with breakage even without loaders but ya there's a lot of stress on the frontend of a loader tractor and most loader tractors up in your area get used heavily for moving bales. I get what guys are saying about the original correct rims on a resto job but if they were a problem before I sure wouldn't want them back on my tractor.

They did have trouble with those earlier wheels. But when you hear the guy trying to say everything they did to make it like it was when new it wouldn't have been too difficult to get a set of those wheels. I have two sets here ..one set we had trouble with but the one set of them would be easily restorable 

And if those loop style front rims didn’t crack apparently they could have the bolts come loose and cause mischief as the evidence on my brother’s MFD 7140 suggests.