tommyw-5088

Worst IH product you ever had ?

DV-550 engine. Almost as bad as the 619:)

Any of you guys ever read farm show magazine. They had best and worst column that was hilarious to read. P.S. seems like I have been around many of the bad pieces on here. 815, 915, 715, ihc balers ( they can be made to tie) and all the jd devil machines. My one bad machine isn’t international it was a 79 model 400 versatile swather.

2 minutes ago, dale560 said:

Any of you guys ever read farm show magazine. They had best and worst column that was hilarious to read. P.S. seems like I have been around many of the bad pieces on here. 815, 915, 715, ihc balers ( they can be made to tie) and all the jd devil machines. My one bad machine isn’t international it was a 79 model 400 versatile swather.

Never ran a 400. But they were great for parts sales. There must have been 50 plus of them in our area at one time. Strapped many of those sickles to the sides of pickups. The guards were unique to versatile. Lots of belts on them as well.

On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 2:03 AM, DOCTOR EVIL said:

The neighbor's #55-T baler on a bad day was a three man baler. Somebody on the tractor, somebody on the rack, and somebody sitting behind the knitters eating dust and tying missed knots.  When your whole baking crew is only 3 people you bale two loads and unload them, bale two more.  Other days it might miss 2-3-4 bales in a 1000 bale day.  Always heard great things about New Holland balers. Smaller bales than the 55-T but refused to miss tying a knot.

.........the   often   written   vitriol   in regards  to the IH  55T  Baler  always  intrigues   me ........I have no doubt the stories   are correct, as the above by   Mr  Evil, MD........possibly embellished   mildly after a particular  frustrating    day.......but none the less.....always a common   thread regarding the vulnerability   of certain functions.......

The 55T  pictured did literally tens of thousands of bales in its day....it was the only  "modern " baler    around in a very big rural area......and thus it was full on season after   .It had two minor modifications.......a decent size  wheel on the RHS.......and a cunning arrangement  over the original bale tension   area........consisting of a medium size bottle jack, with a rather involved, but fully functional linkage, operated from the Tractor seat........( A  David Brown  50 D, six cylinder   diesel )........thus the operator could adjust the tension to suit the field  conditions  prevailing at the time.......

Unfortunately, there is one bloke on here, that , upon reading this, will require immediate counselling........however I just wanted to put a "plug "  in for the old, venerable  55T....:)

Still have the baler !!! , although in the next few days, the IH445    will be used here, behind  a tidy old Farmall 504

Mike

post-157-1218967496.jpg

post-157-1216111663.jpg

Hmmmm......worst IH product I’ve owned???

Me!!!!!!!!😂

Doesnt want to start in the morning,

Costs a fortune to feed/run,

Slight  bend in the chassis and won’t track straight,

Too many hours on the clock,

Original parts unavailable,

Makes growling  noises when under load,

Always defaults to “limp home mode” around lunch time

Runs too hot in summer, too cold in winter,

No warranty,

Never goes where it’s directed,

Women think it’s ugly,

Only takes a unique type of hyd fluid,

Never wants to come out of the shed,

Cant be left running unattended,

Requires way too many tools,

Spare tire is utterly useless,

Exhaust valve intermittently sticks open,

Backfires through the intake

Requires loads of coolant,

Most ball joints are shot (lube for life non greasable type),

At high speed it whines like a teenage girl that just had her iPhone amputated,

Needs excessive “idle down” time at the end of the day,

Apart from that it’s Awesome👍😂😂😂.

Wish you guys would stop complaining about your stuff🙄

Nevermind.......

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

Well Heath.......:rolleyes:...sounds like a personal problem.....:)

Mike

My Father bought a new 1974 1/2 ton IH pickup new and on the way home one of the front hubs for the 4 wheel drive came apart.  Had the truck for 9 months and it spent 6 months in the dealers shops.  Brakes froze up with mud.  

10 hours ago, cedar farm said:

Never ran a 400. But they were great for parts sales. There must have been 50 plus of them in our area at one time. Strapped many of those sickles to the sides of pickups. The guards were unique to versatile. Lots of belts on them as well.

Yes they had sickle section under strap so you need counter sunk rivets. The later 400 with straight vertical muffler had improvements that were not really advancement.  Dads had the double swath attachment which was a pita.

7.3 power stroke engine

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, mike_newman said:

.........the   often   written   vitriol   in regards  to the IH  55T  Baler  always  intrigues   me ........I have no doubt the stories   are correct, as the above by   Mr  Evil, MD........possibly embellished   mildly after a particular  frustrating    day.......but none the less.....always a common   thread regarding the vulnerability   of certain functions.......

The 55T  pictured did literally tens of thousands of bales in its day....it was the only  "modern " baler    around in a very big rural area......and thus it was full on season after   .It had two minor modifications.......a decent size  wheel on the RHS.......and a cunning arrangement  over the original bale tension   area........consisting of a medium size bottle jack, with a rather involved, but fully functional linkage, operated from the Tractor seat........( A  David Brown  50 D, six cylinder   diesel )........thus the operator could adjust the tension to suit the field  conditions  prevailing at the time.......

Unfortunately, there is one bloke on here, that , upon reading this, will require immediate counselling........however I just wanted to put a "plug "  in for the old, venerable  55T....:)

Still have the baler !!! , although in the next few days, the IH445    will be used here, behind  a tidy old Farmall 504

Mike

post-157-1218967496.jpg

post-157-1216111663.jpg

That can't possibly be a 55 baler-------------

The "third knotter" isn't sitting on the twine boxes..........:blink:

Mike

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, SONNY said:

7.3 power stroke engine

That wasn’t IH it was Navistar.

On 12/30/2019 at 10:20 PM, Mr. Plow said:

Are there any left that didn't burn up??????

I haven't seen one in years.  

• Haha 2

On 12/30/2019 at 9:48 PM, boog said:

For me the worst was a '75  & a '76 BS 1066 , both bought new along with a '77 1086 & a '81 1486, both bought used. The '75 1066 had transmission problems out of the factory, probably put less than 25 hrs on it the year I had it, was always in the shop. Traded it for the BS 1066. By the time it left the farm everything under the cab back of the tranny had been replaced, including housings.  The 1086 had 5 TAs put in it, one went out bringing the tractor home after having a new TA & clutch put in. 1486 was 2 yrs old when I bought it, traded the BS 10 on it, 10 was in pieces in dealers shop when I traded it for the 14 from another dealer. Talk about tense when the other dealer came to get it out of the other dealers shop.. The 14 had to have rear end bearings the 2nd year I owned it, less than 1,000 hrs on the tach. Also had 7 hyd pumps put in it before they finally found a pinhole in the pickup tube just below the "FULL" mark. 

Got a '14 Magnum 315 that's giving those tractors a run for their money. Bought it in 2016 & so far have put over $20,000 in the mfd. Also has had the hyd remotes rebuilt 3x. Once last June & again this fall :÷((. Beginning to wonder if it isn't about time to look at a different colored tractor.

Now that's loyalty.  It only took us one tractor to ditch Versatile and one combine to ditch Massey.  Part of it was dealer related too though.  

6 hours ago, mikem said:

That can't possibly be a 55 baler-------------

The "third knotter" isn't sitting on the twine boxes..........:blink:

Mike

Yeah...that is funny :),,,,of course it was you, mikem, that I figured would have reared up in your chair, upon reading this particular post.......in total outrage  at the suggestion that just maybe the odd 55T  was  /could perform ...:mellow:

Thanks for your good spirited reply !!                ...because we have clashed , before:ph34r:

Mike

36 minutes ago, mike_newman said:

clashed

Such a harsh word.....

How about "verbal jousting"? :lol:

Mike

6 hours ago, Big Bud guy said:

Now that's loyalty.  It only took us one tractor to ditch Versatile and one combine to ditch Massey.  Part of it was dealer related too though.  

Only took one Massey combine (550) to learn what the MF on the front stood for, & believe me it wasn't "Mighty Fine"

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

The NH balers knotters certainly had their problems too.  When I was little, Dad was 'partial owner' of a S67; we usually spent a day trying to get it fixed every year.  Bale a few bales, stop and fix the strings, bale a few bales...... 

About 1980, we bought a S67 on a farm auction for $500.  It looked all faded and rusty, but that baler would just pump out the hay....its only quirk was it didn't like the first 20' or so of twine, where it was all kinky in the center of the ball.   Pull that out and throw it away, and go to the field.  I think in 30 years I replaced a few teeth, the knotter brake, the flywheel overrunning clutch, and adjusted one knotter tension.   I sold that baler a couple years ago (for $500!)  to a cousin, who trucked it from IL to OK.   Asked him about it and he said "The best baler I ever ran...I've baled 100's of bales with 0 problems...."

Neighbors had some 273 type balers.  Hated those things, the low deck over the pickup meant you could plug them in a heartbeat--and they were way too hard to clean out.   I don't plan on ever buying another baler, but I'd rather have the old S67 then the 273 any day. 

A cousin had a IH baler with an auger feed (don't remember the #).  He must have had it adjusted right, it made the prettiest square bales and tied them just fine!

• Like 1

Th

1 hour ago, Jeff-C-IL said:

The NH balers knotters certainly had their problems too.  When I was little, Dad was 'partial owner' of a S67; we usually spent a day trying to get it fixed every year.  Bale a few bales, stop and fix the strings, bale a few bales...... 

About 1980, we bought a S67 on a farm auction for $500.  It looked all faded and rusty, but that baler would just pump out the hay....its only quirk was it didn't like the first 20' or so of twine, where it was all kinky in the center of the ball.   Pull that out and throw it away, and go to the field.  I think in 30 years I replaced a few teeth, the knotter brake, the flywheel overrunning clutch, and adjusted one knotter tension.   I sold that baler a couple years ago (for $500!)  to a cousin, who trucked it from IL to OK.   Asked him about it and he said "The best baler I ever ran...I've baled 100's of bales with 0 problems...."

Neighbors had some 273 type balers.  Hated those things, the low deck over the pickup meant you could plug them in a heartbeat--and they were way too hard to clean out.   I don't plan on ever buying another baler, but I'd rather have the old S67 then the 273 any day. 

A cousin had a IH baler with an auger feed (don't remember the #).  He must have had it adjusted right, it made the prettiest square bales and tied them just fine!

The 273 and 310 had a poor sweep arm design. To many moving parts to wear out and a banana bale if it wasn't kept full and in good shape. I agree stay away from those. 

40 minutes ago, cedar farm said:

Th

The 273 and 310 had a poor sweep arm design. To many moving parts to wear out and a banana bale if it wasn't kept full and in good shape. I agree stay away from those. 

NH went out of their way to come up with as many different ways they could feed the hay into the chamber.  None which worked effectively 100% in all hay and conditions.  JD has had the same design since the 50s.  Our trouble was in oat hay because the forks had trouble grabbing the material.  The hay just went around the forks.  That was our 2nd NH baler and last one.    

19 hours ago, mikem said:

Such a harsh word.....

How about "verbal jousting"? :lol:

Mike

Yeeeees....agreed...but......'with the .....(and I quote )...""cognitive impairment"  that all males over 50 yrs  have.........(so stated by some female academic, as she addressed the new ""Anti gun committee"" here in NZ ...sigh )...is it possible that some of those fearsome  memories of 55T's  may have dimmed over the years.....and as such we need to have those "lines in the sand " clearly  drawn for the purposes  of (a)...."clashing "...or (b)   "verbal jousting "...........

....but after a hot day yesterday  running the old 5130......I decided   that your term, "verbal   jousting "  is the way forward....:)

..good one ,  mikem........a distinct   points advantage :)...(and I have no more 55T pics either, from those years gone...sigh )

Mike

I had an 1190 for 15 years got along ok for the most part.

I thought the 815 was pretty bad.

• Haha 1

On 1/1/2020 at 12:10 AM, mike_newman said:

Mike

post-157-1218967496.jpg

post-157-1216111663.jpg

MIKE - Very pretty prose about the old 55-T.  Dad bought a brand new 1947 H and 50-T baler after he got out of the Army and started doing custom baling. He was very well versed in what to look for to keep them working.

The 55-T of the neighbor's had made a lot of bales,  but only for 3-4 close neighbors. Thanks to IH's robust design of the 55-T it was much better equipped for it's second calling. The main bale chamber was removed, split, and became a skid steer loader trailer.  All dedicated baler components sold for Penny's per pound. It's owner had two 80 acre farms a mile apart, most skid steers don't have a good "Road Gear".  We only used the #37 pto baler that replaced the 55-T once,  we completely dispelled all myths about you can only farm with tractors with live PTO that afternoon. Super H did a great job running the baler.  Dad and I got almost 1000 bales that day. Granted, they were smaller bales than the 55-T would have made.

Glad your 55-T is still serving you well. Neighbor's had exceeded it's "Best used by" date about 1970 when it was replaced.

People have different experiences. SONNY nominated the 7.3L PowerStroke engine as a failing of IH. I put over 250,000 miles on mine with just oil/filter changes and a couple cam position sensors and glow plug relays, and one water pump.  SON is driving it now, has close to 310,000 miles on it, he had to do some work to it,  new starter, second waterpump, new radiator, thermostat, he pressure washed the engine, week later replaced the injector driver module. Gee, imagine that, component that delivers high voltage electricity to the electronic injectors doesn't like 3000 psi water!  I don't think that is IH's or NAVISTAR'S fault.  Anyhow, SON has become pretty good at troubleshooting the 7.3L PSD.  That could be a profitable sideline for him. Lot of today's dealer service tech's have never even SEEN one!

• Thanks 1

I agree with you, Dr. Evil.  Dad and I have 3  7.3 power strokes.  They all have 115-270K miles on them.  Very trouble free.  Keep the glow plug relay, harness in good shape. Change oil and all filters as recommended,  they will outlast the rest of the pickup!  Lots of guys I know have over 250,000 miles on them. Still love them.  The 1997-early 2003 were the best version. 

• Like 1