tommyw-5088

Worst IH product you ever had ?

Mine was a 1290 hay cutter . Would not run half day without breaking .

gave it to scrap man to cut up :)

Not mine but my dad’s.  706 gas.  He worked it hard as it was his big tractor then, engine wouldn’t hold up.  Needed frequent overhauls and valve work.  Traded it for a Case skid steer in ’87.  Still have the skid steer.  Legend has it that when the salesman came to look at the 706 to trade, he started it up, let it warm up for a a bit, then cracked the throttle open sharply and the dipstick popped out from the blow by pressure.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

easy choice- 575 manure spreader. running gear built like a tank, but the tailgate was straight vertical, vs bottom closer to front like NH and NI. when freestall slop pushed against it, manure drizzled all the way to the field.

honorable mention would be the Hydro 84 I owned in the 90s. total money pit. finally traded it towards a new Knight Slinger spreader.

715 gas hydro combine a real gas guzzler you'd get a shower from the A/C vents it rattled it shook always had oil leaks no capacity easy to choke the cylinder in wheat with any type of weeds present only had it 5 yrs then dad traded it for a 1460 and then we finally  had ourselves a truly good combine

DV550 in a loadstar tandem, 3 engines in 3 years, finally swapped in a 466. Made a truck out of it!

656 hydro

715 combine.

Dad bought it from the original owner with 1000 hrs. Dad left it in the neighbors barn over winter  and asked if it had antifreeze. Yep its got plenty. Dad ran it that next fall and it eventually started overheating. Bubbles in the coolant. Checked the antifreeze at +10. Normally that would be fine but it got below 0f that winter.

we pulled the engine. The block tested bad but the head tested good. Bought a block and engine kit and rebuilt the engine.

That fall the engine failed when a valve seat broke. The head was cracked under the seat. The new engine was ruined...

Bought and installed a complete engine from salvage yard. It ran about a year before the injector pump lost a seal and filled the oil with diesel. We figured this out when the engine siezed.

It is still sitting behind the grain bins rusted out. It was cursed!

Thx-Ace

• Haha 1

4366, underpowered, loud cab from the transmission but it was cool looking and sounded good too, my 1466 would out pull it.

Dad had TWO #62 pull type combines to try to get over 40 acres of oats every summer. The little Continental 69 cid engine refused to start for 24 hours if shut off hot. The fabric canvas's tended to slip on the drive rollers, caused slugging and plugging, they didn't like weeds either. Had two because needed at least one spare of any part on weekends, and one cooling off to restart later.  Last IH combines we had. The #25 Deere just slightly better, and the #30 slightly better than the #25.

The neighbor's #55-T baler on a bad day was a three man baler. Somebody on the tractor, somebody on the rack, and somebody sitting behind the knitters eating dust and tying missed knots.  When your whole baking crew is only 3 people you bale two loads and unload them, bale two more.  Other days it might miss 2-3-4 bales in a 1000 bale day.  Always heard great things about New Holland balers. Smaller bales than the 55-T but refused to miss tying a knot.

Not mine but when I was young my Dad bought one of the first IH #15 choppers with a corn head. The biggest problem was the corn head. The good thing was IH Blockman came to visit several times and about half way through corn chopping season IH delivered an update kit that we installed on the corn head and that fixed 95% of the problems.
Second would a knotter on IH #45 baler but after sitting on the twine box in the dust for a couple weeks tying missed knots on the inside knotter, I convinced my Dad to adjust the inside needle slightly and that fixed the problem and I was out of a job.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DOCTOR EVIL said:

The neighbor's #55-T baler on a bad day was a three man baler. Somebody on the tractor, somebody on the rack, and somebody sitting behind the knitters eating dust and tying missed knots.  When your whole baking crew is only 3 people you bale two loads and unload them, bale two more.  Other days it might miss 2-3-4 bales in a 1000 bale day.  Always heard great things about New Holland balers. Smaller bales than the 55-T but refused to miss tying a knot.

NH have many dealers out there before '55 or so?  Guys around me who had balers bought NH77's......for the time they were built(Late 40's) they were beasts, they custom baled with them.  

IH 990 haybine.

First hay mower i ever ran. It seemed like that stupid thing was always broke down. It got to the point towards the end that you couldn't run a day without something breaking on it. Usually in the cutterbar or wobble gear area. Tried to figure out what was going on and we never did figure it out.

As another strike against the 990. 2 years ago we were loading a 990 onto a trailer for a neighbor to be scrapped out when a piece of it snapped allowing the mower to drop and swing its drawbar right on top of my foot. Broke a bunch of bones in my foot. I told Dad after that if i ever saw another 990 in my lifetime, it would be too soon.

715 is another good honorable mention in the junk category.

1 hour ago, tractorholic said:

I just gotta ask. What was the problem? 

Trans updates,forward air flow real pain to keep clean, ate batteries, not very nimble hard shifting. If George was still alive he would’ve agreed. Once we bought Magnums it just sat.

10 minutes ago, INTERNATIONAL 1466 said:

John Deere 7200 Max Emerge vacuum planter, oh sorry the post was for IH, haven't had a worst.

Me too.Most overrated,overblown piece of crap,jerk your guts out ,power robbing so called revolutionary tractor driving changing accessory is JD's 8spd Power Shift  transmission  in  4430.

Give me a TA any day of the week.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jass1660 said:

Trans updates,forward air flow real pain to keep clean, ate batteries, not very nimble hard shifting. If George was still alive he would’ve agreed. Once we bought Magnums it just sat.

You must have got a real dud, never had an issue with air flow or hard shifting, as for nimble, no different than any early Magnum. Too bad you had issues.

My great uncle would probably say the 4166 if he was a member here....

IH honey wagon.  Don't remember the number.  The wheels broke loose from the tank on the first load new.  Then after the dealer fixed that, the tank sucked in on the first day we used it.  Dealer took it back and scrapped it.

jerry

21 hours ago, lucky chucky said:

435 square baler those IH knotters are terrible

My dad had a 430 that we never could get the knoters to work properly.

686 Diesel with the 310, must have been built at beer thirty or the Monday after a hangover-- At 4000 hours -it had  started with the harmonic balancer falling off, no copper in the alternator wiring harness and bolt holes in the wide front that leaked hydraulic oil requiring a new front bolster at 200 hours. At the end most of the gears in the transmission had teeth broken off , the ring gear completely stripped off. It was on the fourth engine over haul mostly from seal leakage at the sealing rings, yes it had a conditioner package on it. The fuel pump went nuts one day. I think there was four clutches put in most of them the springs broke from rust. Filings had completely plugged the hydraulic system and the three point always hiccuped with a load on it. Dealership had done all the work on it.