Sign in to follow this  
Dan Robinson

Thoughts on 2016 Ford 6.7

Dad is looking at getting a different truck. Wondering peoples thoughts on the 6.7 versus the 6.2 gas. Is it worth the extra cost to stay diesel? Hows towing mileage?  

Currently have 2 F250 7.3s one a 2000 other a 2001. 

Picture is the truck in question. Definitely a nice riding and driving truck. Plenty of passing power too.

20191227_125656.jpg

I have a 2011 dually super can 6.7 4x4. 8-9 loaded 14-17 depending on speed. Single wheel usually gets better fuel mileage. This what I haul part of the time.

IMG_20191102_125540824.jpg

that is a 2nd gen 6.7 so lots of changes and improvements over the 1st gen, they are on the 3rd gen far as i know, they are good trucks compared to teh 6.0 and 6.4 but require mostly dealer support if yo uhave issues due to their complexity unless yo uhave a really good seasoned mechanic that is up on his Diesels and has the computer equipement to diagnose it. 

If your older ones are that old and high mileage and you plan on keeping this one that long you will certainly pay for any difference in fuel savings even if you do have to throw money at it. They will get comparable mileage results of a 6.0 p/s empty and depending on gearing maybe a little better. 

mileage will run 18 to 19 empty maybe 20 if you ahve the 3.55 gears they offer adn are running below 70mph. 

7 to 10 if you are towing 20K + - 11 to 14 if you are towing 10ish all that is of course dependent on the driver style and terrain. 

There has been some issues with early DEF system/regen adn head issues from all the heat - i believe that ahs been addressed - the death wobble that some speak of is still going on but its not exclusive to the gassers or diesels. 

the 6.2 gasser will do you 14 to 15 tops from what i have heard empty and slower speeds

towing heavy 5 to 7 towing light 9 to 10 - better empty avg would likely be more around 12 to 14 from all teh research i have done id say 10 avg on the gasser 15 on teh diesel

u can do the math pretty easily on things knowing your mileage and style of driving

We have both F-350 gas 6.2s and one 6.7. All of them are 13’ models.  The 6.2 gets at most 13 mpg empty and down to 5 pulling loads.  The diesel gets around 18 mpg empty and down to 10 pulling the same loads.  The power difference between them is night and day difference.

• Like 1

I have a 2016, 6.7. Normal highway mileage is 17-18. Towing is still 10+. 

6.7 is a great motor will pull anything you hook to it I just crossed South Dakota at 38000lbs set cruise at 85 on interstate and drive about 5mpg

12 hours ago, searcyfarms said:

that is a 2nd gen 6.7 so lots of changes and improvements over the 1st gen, they are on the 3rd gen far as i know, they are good trucks compared to teh 6.0 and 6.4 but require mostly dealer support if yo uhave issues due to their complexity unless yo uhave a really good seasoned mechanic that is up on his Diesels and has the computer equipement to diagnose it. 

If your older ones are that old and high mileage and you plan on keeping this one that long you will certainly pay for any difference in fuel savings even if you do have to throw money at it. They will get comparable mileage results of a 6.0 p/s empty and depending on gearing maybe a little better. 

mileage will run 18 to 19 empty maybe 20 if you ahve the 3.55 gears they offer adn are running below 70mph. 

7 to 10 if you are towing 20K + - 11 to 14 if you are towing 10ish all that is of course dependent on the driver style and terrain. 

There has been some issues with early DEF system/regen adn head issues from all the heat - i believe that ahs been addressed - the death wobble that some speak of is still going on but its not exclusive to the gassers or diesels. 

the 6.2 gasser will do you 14 to 15 tops from what i have heard empty and slower speeds

towing heavy 5 to 7 towing light 9 to 10 - better empty avg would likely be more around 12 to 14 from all teh research i have done id say 10 avg on the gasser 15 on teh diesel

u can do the math pretty easily on things knowing your mileage and style of driving

What are the years of 1st gen, 2nd gen, and so on? Father in law is trading trucks, trying to get me to buy his old one. 2011 F350 Lariat. 75,000(?) miles 

1 hour ago, Ihfan4life said:

What are the years of 1st gen, 2nd gen, and so on? Father in law is trading trucks, trying to get me to buy his old one. 2011 F350 Lariat. 75,000(?) miles 

dont quote me on this but from my research on forums, mainly thedieselstop forum, and you could verify any question you have there, they have ford customer service people that monitor that site as well as actual ford mechanics on there. While they are diplomatic and try to be legal about things and any promises they are very helpful, informative and will shoot straight on the issues and mechanics will engage with the customer svc reps from ford to help with situations and solutions. 

I believe the 1st gen ran from  appx 11 to 14, 2nd gen from 15 to 19, and third gen starts now in 2020 which as we all know actually starts in the fall of 19 etc....

There were body/interior/electronic design changes as well throughout those years. 

I do know from reading the forums there were subtle changes due to issues along the way but the major changes/gen differences are somewhere around those dates. 

I would stay away from anything that is 1st year.  2011 was the first year for the 6.7  - i own an 03 6.0 liter ( the first year for it )  and i call it a test truck, it is FAR different than any of the other years, 05 to 07 are the way to go on the 6.0. Mines been ok, ive had my share of repairs but I know many folks that dumped theirs or just scrapped them because of all the issues they had. 

The mileage difference and the fact i keep my trucks till they are totally dead are why i choose diesel, you will still come out over the long haul with a diesel even with repairs due to the fuel cost savings in 3 to 400000K miles and 20 yrs - im way money ahead on mine from my calculations to the tune of over $30K im 17yrs in and 310K miles

3 hours ago, searcyfarms said:

dont quote me on this but from my research on forums, mainly thedieselstop forum, and you could verify any question you have there, they have ford customer service people that monitor that site as well as actual ford mechanics on there. While they are diplomatic and try to be legal about things and any promises they are very helpful, informative and will shoot straight on the issues and mechanics will engage with the customer svc reps from ford to help with situations and solutions. 

I believe the 1st gen ran from  appx 11 to 14, 2nd gen from 15 to 19, and third gen starts now in 2020 which as we all know actually starts in the fall of 19 etc....

There were body/interior/electronic design changes as well throughout those years. 

I do know from reading the forums there were subtle changes due to issues along the way but the major changes/gen differences are somewhere around those dates. 

I would stay away from anything that is 1st year.  2011 was the first year for the 6.7  - i own an 03 6.0 liter ( the first year for it )  and i call it a test truck, it is FAR different than any of the other years, 05 to 07 are the way to go on the 6.0. Mines been ok, ive had my share of repairs but I know many folks that dumped theirs or just scrapped them because of all the issues they had. 

The mileage difference and the fact i keep my trucks till they are totally dead are why i choose diesel, you will still come out over the long haul with a diesel even with repairs due to the fuel cost savings in 3 to 400000K miles and 20 yrs - im way money ahead on mine from my calculations to the tune of over $30K im 17yrs in and 310K miles

3-400k miles here are not a probability. Between the road salt and brine I think I’d be lucky to see 200,000

• Like 1

I ditched a 2001 7.3 with 215k for a 2016 6.7 with 30k.  No regrets at all.  Went from ext cab to four door.  Similar milage between the two trucks.

I went to Louisville and back with the popper and it only did 16ish.  I don't remember the exact number.

IMG_20191116_231949941.thumb.jpg.9b5fa6be7cd032f82e8ac03d2626d891.jpg

6 hours ago, Ihfan4life said:

3-400k miles here are not a probability. Between the road salt and brine I think I’d be lucky to see 200,000

well heck then u wont have to put as much money in it then LOL - mines rusting a lot - rear fender wells, bottoms of doors, but im going to string it along another 3 yrs it will be toast by then im sure, it seems like once it starts it spreads like wildfire with a tailwind.  

• Sad 1

21 hours ago, Thesd5488 said:

6.7 is a great motor will pull anything you hook to it I just crossed South Dakota at 38000lbs set cruise at 85 on interstate and drive about 5mpg

if anyone could test it or break one you would be the one to do it 😉 u run everything u own beyond its designed limit LOL - i dont think i could even pull 38000lbs with mine at 85mph w/out it on the floor down a hill - Ived pulled right at 30K and it felt plenty fast enough at 60mph - got up to 70 + down some hills to get a run at the next one but i didnt like the feel of it much 

3 minutes ago, searcyfarms said:

if anyone could test it or break one you would be the one to do it 😉 u run everything u own beyond its designed limit LOL - i dont think i could even pull 38000lbs with mine at 85mph w/out it on the floor down a hill - Ived pulled right at 30K and it felt plenty fast enough at 60mph - got up to 70 + down some hills to get a run at the next one but i didnt like the feel of it much 

I believe he means 38,000 gross.

1 minute ago, ZachGrant said:

mines only a 6.0  too so im a lot of ponies short compared to a 6.7 

4 hours ago, ZachGrant said:

Yes 38000 gross it will pull right with my 514 in my 79 ford both love there fuel tho

I have 3 friends in the las year and a half who have gone to brand new 6.2 gas trucks from diesels, a 4th is on the exact fence you are on, looking at a 16 diesel vs a new gas, 2 of them, the 2 that actually really toe are totally happy with their decision, less up front cost, less daily cost, less maintenance and what I would consider very reasonable mileage in the 15 mpg range. The third is a dork, but he bought a cab.5 dually drives it like he stole it and lives at the top of a mountain and makes 10 mile average trips and is getting 8-10 mpg. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

I have 3 friends in the las year and a half who have gone to brand new 6.2 gas trucks from diesels, a 4th is on the exact fence you are on, looking at a 16 diesel vs a new gas, 2 of them, the 2 that actually really toe are totally happy with their decision, less up front cost, less daily cost, less maintenance and what I would consider very reasonable mileage in the 15 mpg range. The third is a dork, but he bought a cab.5 dually drives it like he stole it and lives at the top of a mountain and makes 10 mile average trips and is getting 8-10 mpg. 

If this was any other truck I probably wouldn’t even consider it. Because I know this truck, and the care and maintenance it’s had, and the fact mine is pushing 150,000 miles, it’s really appealing to me. 
My concern is it’s a 2011 and by the time I’m done with it it’s going to be 18-20 years old. I’ve had one truck I bought new thinking I could get 20 years out of it, and didn’t make it😖 I seriously doubt this one will either 

Have a 16 , 6.7 .

really like it 14 is about average for farm/ highway .

yes they will flat pull .

• Like 1

Well dad didn't buy it. Wanted to and tried. But couldnt come to an agreement on price. 

Its pretty much the exact truck hes looking for. Theres others out there. 

Dang hard to find an extended cab shortbox these days. Everything is crew cab. 

3 hours ago, Dan Robinson said:

Well dad didn't buy it. Wanted to and tried. But couldnt come to an agreement on price. 

Its pretty much the exact truck hes looking for. Theres others out there. 

Dang hard to find an extended cab shortbox these days. Everything is crew cab. 

keep looking hopefully your dad will find an even better deal 

7.3 -150k miles no issues.

6.0 -40k miles, head gasket went under warranty, traded it for 6.2 gas

6.2 gas, great truck, no issues, 13 mpg driving,  9-10 towing light loads.  

6.7 -DPF plugged at 45k.  Dealer forced regen, twice, didn't last a week.  14-15mpg driving, 12mpg towing light load. 

'19 6.7 -17.5 mpg driving ( great).  13-14 mpg towing same trailers as the others. Good so far.