Sign in to follow this  
lorenzo

Any one selling a 60 series scout with a V-8?

1 hour ago, lightninboy said:

What's a 60 series Scout?

I don’t know , I think she means the early ones like in the 60’s ?  

That would be an 80.  800 after that and Scout II after that. Not sure what years they changed series number.  Eason or Howard P can give you the specifics.

Dennis

No expert here, but not sure they came with a v8. 

Then again there's always someone dropping them in project scouts for fun😁😁

7 hours ago, td9inidaho said:

No expert here, but not sure they came with a v8. 

Then again there's always someone dropping them in project scouts for fun😁😁

The 800’s did . 

Lorenzo, If no luck here, Head over to Binderplanet , keep an eye on the classifieds, The 80 and 800's ( especially with V8's) are pretty darn hot

right now

• Thanks 1

The Scout 80 was the model from 1961 to 64, all 4-152 engines

The Scout 800 came out in 1965, still 4-152.

The 4-152 was replaced with the 4-196 in 1966

The V-266 became an option in 1967

The Model 800A was the 1969 model with the V-304 the optional V-8.  The 6-232 from AMC was also an option.

No further engine changes until the Scout II in 1971 offered the V-345 as an additional option,

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Kevingweq said:

Lorenzo, If no luck here, Head over to Binderplanet , keep an eye on the classifieds, The 80 and 800's ( especially with V8's) are pretty darn hot

right now

Thanks, she is already on Binderplanet,

14 hours ago, lorenzo said:

The 800’s did . 

Untill she got interested in them I didn’t know a scout from a hole in the wall . 

I guess the 800A is a V-8

I have tried to cut down on addiction of chasing across the whole world ( literally ) to come up with projects and parts . 

I spent five long years and made several trips overseas once while restoring an antique motorcycle that to this day only three are known to exist . It wore me out. 

I never expanded my interest into the scouts and am not real sure I want to open up this can of worms . She is looking at projects and she can see past all the ugly but all I see lately is rust, missing parts, stuck motors, wrong or aftermarket parts, $$$$$$$$  ect   ect     

Im trying to talk her into just getting one that’s already done. 

• Haha 1

I put a 304 in a '61 Scout, used the four-banger bellhousing and drilled the transmission bolt holes to twist the engine uptight, and drilled the flywheel for the smaller clutch. I moved the axles to the bottom of the springs, and dropped the engine about 4" to reduce the U-joint angles. Power steering out of the donor Travellall completed the rebuild. Drove it for years! Cold little bugger in the winter though, couldn't rob a big-enough heater for it! The single-ply tin roof was covered in frost all the time.

• Thanks 1

BTW, the four cylinder bell has the bosses cast so the "upright" position is easy.

• Thanks 1

A kid living here stumbled on to a early one with a V8. It was 2001-3 had a 66 Ford pickup that was a show truck he had built. Just stumbled up a old running Scout with a V8. Then found it was a really rear Scout, he did the foot work to prove it was original. I don't know if he ever fixed it as he had gotten married just before he found it. Moved out of the area don't know what happened to the Scout.

• Thanks 1

FYI, 80 series had only the slant-4 engine, V8's came in '67 800's. They also had a 232 cube Rambler-sourced 6. My old Scout 80 had the sliding windows and short cab. I wish I still had it!

• Thanks 1

I own one of the first diesel Scouts sold in Northeast Nebraska.  It is an automatic with a locking 3.54 rearend and rather gutless.  When looking at the line setting ticket, it was spec'd as a 345 V8 engine with the V8 having a line drawn through it and the word "diesel" handwritten beside it.  Also, the engine code for the V8 is a "2" which was struck out and the diesel code "3" written beside it.  The Scout also came with the trailer tow 2" receiver hitch factory mounted.  

• Thanks 1

I had a 77 scout II diesel auto. A strong headwind would slow it down. Didn't have enough power to get stuck.(wouldn't spin the wheels)

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Consumer Reports tested a diesel before the turbo version it had one of  the slowest 0 to 60 times of any vehicle they had ever tested, in line with the Subaru 360 2 stroke car.

I really wanted a new one  in 1976 model year but the $11,000 asking price was about the same price of a Cadillac  car.

I was in Seattle for Calendar year 1982. Local low-end used car lot had a 64 152 Scout that I test drove more than once.  It started and ran and was not rusted out believe he wanted $375. for it BUT that was in 1983. Believe it was a 3 speed with 2 speed transfer case.  In low/low it would bury the tires on a hill side I played on.  I already had too many toys so common sense and a family said NO. My borrow a toy was sold to someone else.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1