Sign in to follow this  
TroyDairy

Texans..tour guides?

Going into Austin here 3 weeks from now.¬† American¬†Farm Bureau meeting, 1/18-22.¬† Got wife to come even!¬† AirBnB-ing a home with 2 other couples....hope we can keep up with them!ūüėȬ† Any way Tuesday¬†there's¬†some crazy priced tours we can partake in but....any rpm members have a good idea or some time?¬† We toy with going to San Antonio and seeing the Alamo.¬† I like history and folk say it's well worth the trip down.¬† Look like all loot of cement there.¬† Which way gets you to some dirt?¬†

• Like 1

Go down to the river walk in San Antonio, you don’t need a guide . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, lorenzo said:

Go down to the river walk in San Antonio, you don’t need a guide . 

Concur.

best, randy

• Like 1

I am not sure where that museum of 1456 tractors is ( Long Farms) but it would be interesting to see them all

;)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Im 5hrs north east of Austin Though. River walk in San Antonio is always fun. Good restaurants and bars. Austin is like a smaller version of San Francisco. Theres Austin and then theres the rest of Texas. Lots of weirdos and gays in Austin. Youll even see Aids/HIV billboards with gay couples smiling on it like its a great thing to be and have. I hate Austin, hate Driving through Austin, hate the mentality of people from Austin. Youll be in reach of some good BBQ and mexican food down there. Blackland farming is on east side of Austin. You wont see many tractor Dealerships down there. Case IH is non existent down there but at one time it was a Huge IH area. End up my shop Im liable to put tools in your hand and work on some IHs. 10 1456s on site, 2 of those belong to friends. Cant even see them all in this pic. 

20190919_121409.jpg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Long Farms said:

Im 5hrs north east of Austin Though. River walk in San Antonio is always fun. Good restaurants and bars. Austin is like a smaller version of San Francisco. Theres Austin and then theres the rest of Texas. Lots of weirdos and gays in Austin. Youll even see Aids/HIV billboards with gay couples smiling on it like its a great thing to be and have. I hate Austin, hate Driving through Austin, hate the mentality of people from Austin. Youll be in reach of some good BBQ and mexican food down there. Blackland farming is on east side of Austin. You wont see many tractor Dealerships down there. Case IH is non existent down there but at one time it was a Huge IH area. End up my shop Im liable to put tools in your hand and work on some IHs. 10 1456s on site, 2 of those belong to friends. Cant even see them all in this pic. 

20190919_121409.jpg

What's the one with the canapy at the end? AMD do you still have the 1206? So hard to keep track of you museum exhibits 

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Rusty shackleford said:

I hate Austin, hate Driving through Austin, hate the mentality of people from Austin.

Agree with you a 100%...and l was born and raised on the high ground of Texas.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

awww oooooooooo Troy - looks like there is one with no weights on the front you will need to lift those on/add and then the one with no hood/fenders you better bring a cot to sleep on while working on it ūüėČ

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Troy 5 hours is 5 hours BUT you will be much closer than you are when at home. :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The king ranch is in that part of the world. I have never been but would like to sometime.

The hill country is nice.

TTexas city is worth seeing especially at night (near Houston). It is amazing how many refineries, chemical plants, etc are there. I think all the lights are pretty at night.

IIf you drive you can take a slice of America. I love road trips!

II could skip Austin but I am told there is a new bypass around it with an 85 mph speed limit!

SSouth padre has a nice beach and is warm this time of year.

TThx-Ace

Yeah I've heard about that San Antonio Riverwalk my cousin's wife is actually from just south of San Antonio and yes I've heard that Austin is the skinny jean capital of the South.¬† But it is humorous that anyone I know who is from Texas or has connections in Texas sighs¬†when I say we have to go to Austin for the meeting ūüôā

I wish they would have had it in Dallas-Fort Worth or down in San Antonio I'm not 100% sure where all the agriculture is but looking on a map at Austin it does sprawls for eternity you don't really see much farmland.  

my mom n dad and my best friend saw the alamo and were not impressed both said it was kind of disappointing, such a small place - way overrated

• Like 1

The best brisket I ever ate was at Franklin Barbeque in Austin.  Franklin is often cited as the best brisket in the country.  I waited in line for about five hours for it and would do it again tomorrow.  Fabulous!  It would be the choice for my last meal.  Austin and Lockhart have some other very good and famous BBQ joints.

Walking around the little town of Gruene near New Braunfels was interesting.  Gruene Hall is pretty cool.  Some pretty famous acts play there.

Fredericksburg looked interesting as I passed through it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, searcyfarms said:

my mom n dad and my best friend saw the alamo and were not impressed both said it was kind of disappointing, such a small place - way overrated

The Alamo is/was across the street from a Dillards Department store.  If you get tired of history you can buy your Wife a new outfit.

7 hours ago, searcyfarms said:

The mark of historical significance is not measured in square feet.

Just sayin.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Atilathehun99 said:

The mark of historical significance is not measured in square feet.

Just sayin.

true very true

• Like 2

My mother was born and grew up on a farm just north of Austin, in Georgetown.  A ton of family in greater Austin.

The Austin area is a good example of how geology influences Ag.  The Balcones Fault runs through the city striking generally N NE.  It's a normal fault w/ the uplifted block being to the west and forms the Hill Country (uplifted side ='s older rocks, and generally higher in elevation. Down block ='s younger rocks, and generally topographically lower).

What this has resulted in is that the Hill Country possesses relatively thin soils over Cretaceous carbonates.  The tillage of early settlers resulted in increased erosion and that negatively affected the hydrogeo of the Hill Country:  In short fertile soil and water for such were significantly reduced.

Aside from this through time sediments from the up block were eroded by natural processes and were shed and deposited to the east on the down block creating mature soils.  Thus Ag in the Hill Country is much more suited to range land and cattle whereas east of Austin the land is better for tillage. 

The above is a general statement.  There are tillage and other crops grown in Hill Country and there are cattle raised east of Austin.

1 hour ago, searcyfarms said:

true very true

Concur, true!!!!!!!!!!!

best, randy

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Atilathehun99 said:

Thus Ag in the Hill Country is much more suited to range land and cattle whereas east of Austin the land is better for tillage. 

Wanna see ag country, go out to West Texas in the Lubbock/Leveland country.

best, randy

• Like 1

West Texas has alot of ag from abilene up through Amarillo and Dalhart.

TThe Alamo seemed small to me but it is real history. Eat some good  (texan) mexican  food while there. San Antonio is the birthplace of chili.

TThe weather will seem nice to you this time of the year but the locals may wear a jacket and say it's cold!

TThx-Ace

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, acem said:

West Texas has alot of ag from abilene up through Amarillo and Dalhart.

TThe Alamo seemed small to me but it is real history. Eat some good  (texan) mexican  food while there. San Antonio is the birthplace of chili.

TThe weather will seem nice to you this time of the year but the locals may wear a jacket and say it's cold!

TThx-Ace

Stopped at the cenex gas station in Dalhart. Borrowed a crescent wrench to tighten air conditioning belt on u haul truck. It was in 2002 truck was a 90 some Chevy. Drove from tucumcari  nm to home 60 miles from Canadian border that day and night.

The LBJ Presidential Library at UT is worth seeing. If you have time you could also go out to tour  LBJ’s Ranch outside of Austin in Johnson City, TX. There is also an awesome paleontology / dinosaur museum on the UT campus that is worth seeing. 

That Franklin’s BBQ in Austin is legendary, I think they only serve lunch, opening at 11:00 AM, so no supper hours. Be forewarned lines form early there to get in for lunch. 

The heavy traffic in Austin sucks the big one. I absolutely hate it. Be prepared. Expressways in Austin????? Bwah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha h ha h ha ha ha ha ha¬†ha¬†ha ha ha ha ha,¬†what a joke. Austin ‚Äúexpressways‚Ä̬†are more like 49% parking lots, 49% demolition derby tracks, and maybe 1% expressway. Be advised. Full of ¬†IDIOT drivers.¬†

The River Walk in San Antonio is really nice. I must admit I found The Alamo there a bit under whelming, but thankful to have seen it due to its historical significance. If you do go to San Antonio, you should see it. 

Just a short ways to the north of Austin, in Georgetown, is some pretty awesome caverns to see, called ‚ÄúInner Space Caverns‚ÄĚ. If you‚Äôve never ever been deep underground in any spacious caverns before, that would be something really cool to see.¬†

Do an online search regarding all these sites to see for info regarding opening hours, etc.

Wifey and I live out in the hill country in Jonestown, TX,  approx. 30 miles outside of and to the northwest of downtown Austin. My wife will be on a business trip overseas for UT during the time you will be here. 

Well let us know how you make out in Asstin, er.... I mean Austin and how you liked it.... or not. Stay safe. 

• Thanks 1

Was at Alamo and river walk last summer. I thought both were pretty neat. There are boat tours of river walk should you care to do one. 

Un be known to me there was a fellow who died at the Alamo bearing my same last name. Haven't tracked down if its any relation to me or not but was interesting.