Jump to content
Missouri Mule

Track skidsteers.

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, Big Bud guy said:

Since this is a skid steer thread, what are everybody’s thoughts on the one arm JCBs?  My neighbor bought one just because of the ease of entrance/exit.  I never drove it but did get inside of it and JCB might be onto something with the easier and safer side door.

Friend bought one 6 7 years ago.  Biggest regret of his farming career.  Constant electrical problems and pins were loose quickly.  Now its on a heifer farm with some rough operators but before 10 years old it was in a fence row.  No dealer would take it.......

But mayne new ones are better.  Volvo also make a side enter one too iirc.  Guys like volvo wheel loaders on farms...say get good fuel econ.  I know nothing else. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

jcb/volvo single boom SS made by same co

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the door for a skidloader we will NEVER own a skidloader with a door unless it opens up like the Kubota or a JCB . Dad almost couldn't get out of the one machine we had with the factory cab because it caught fire and the bucket was just low enough to open the door . It's the best way to open up like a garage door or trackhoe cab front door in my opinion

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, bitty said:

On the door for a skidloader we will NEVER own a skidloader with a door unless it opens up like the Kubota or a JCB . Dad almost couldn't get out of the one machine we had with the factory cab because it caught fire and the bucket was just low enough to open the door . It's the best way to open up like a garage door or trackhoe cab front door in my opinion

my experience with rollups has been this - kubota ctl door was up and latched, working with it that way to communicate with other workers, drove over 6 inch lip on foundation wall, evident the twist of the machine going over caused glass to break and dropped glass door down my neck, a few lil cuts and shedding clothes to remove so i could keep working. 

my neighbor was using one with the rollup door, it go hung in the tracks/cocked - brand new machine - i dont remember the brand, it was dark/night working, he could not get out from under the door or over the top - he had to get the book out that was luckily in the cab and read how to get out, took him 20 mins to get back window out and crawl up/out of the machine over the engine bay

ME, i have a front swing door on mine, machine caught fire in engine compartment, side windows were open, smoke filled cab, i couldnt see/breathe, i was in a panic, kicked with both feet and launched thru the front door, glass popped right out - if door was stuck on the roll up type i would have likely burned to death, most newer SS even my old Scat Trak 1996 model had pull tabs on the rubber on the glass to pull out - from what i have heard most guys recommend carrying a hammer in the cab to break glass and get out. 

im still up in the air regarding the type door - roll up seems like a good idea but when it sticks your are stuck - you dont have to be able to swing the door open to get out on a swing open door 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems like skid loader work is always in and out of the cab work ...like every 5 minutes except the occasional long time in the cab where the heat and a.c. are nice.. The d%%re I drove with the roll up door, the door sucked bad... The kubota on the other hand was smooth and easy to use...i like the hammer idea for fast exit, except the muscle memory will have you opening the door anyway.... 

The side exit is good till you get stuck right next to a biulding or tree...

I've seen normal doors get crushed by a settling loader, yes I know safety rules were broken but....it happens... 

My 2c on skid loader doors.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, searcyfarms said:

fyi - Tak/Gehl/Mustang all made by same CO now so very similar - they have their own specific layouts/specs but a lot the same machines 

Kubota is my fav cab outside of the stupid garage door, try to get otu of one of those with the door stuck half open/close jammed in the track, ask me how i know 😉 u can kick the front glass right out of a swing open door and you are out, going out the back window is not a good option when onfire in a garage door type - i went straight thru the front door of mine when mine caught fire 

 

Unless things have changed that is not true. Those three used to be the same till 2011/12, I forget which year exactly. My mustang is the same as a tak except with a swing out door. And a few cab differences. The mustang/gehl are now Manitou, and have a different design all together. Tak is there own unit. Same design as forever but they have some vertical lift machines now. Gehl is similar size yet but whole different layout. Although I'm pretty sure the last couple years they came out with the roll up door. They have all improved so much in the last few years now too. Backup camera option, ride control. The gehl/mustang have hyd tensioner tracks that release the tension when the machine is shut off. Also if a track derails you can push a button and it will retract the front roller. No more messing around with greasy tools and pumping the grease gun in the cold weather or in a foot of water cause that's when they like to derail lol. I'm really leaning towards a new gehl when I upgrade. I want to demo a VT320

I would've thought the roll up door would be the best setup. I was always more worried with the swing out door. Theres no smashing the front door on mine since its 5/8" plexi. It's out the back window if I'm trapped. Which I know it comes out easy cause a tree hit it tonight working in the bush and the window popped in lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I forgot to tell you guys about the two speed in my 299 C Cat , it's really nice and it has auto down shift if your in high range and the load gets to much it will automatically down crap to low range . It will shift back to high when you backup . If your pushing dirt like we use mine you always run in low range , two speed backing up . Mine has the tortion suspension on the tracks and you better know how to run a grease gun on the axels for the suspension . For the cab it would be nice if it was a little bigger but it's not that bad , I'm 6 ' 7" and 260 lbs so I'm one of the bigger guys and really think it's a nice and quiet cab , oh and it has a plastic window and that's a must , I will never own one with a glas door . The window is really good quality plastic and is no problem looking through it and you just wax it with car wax👍

I know there more expensive to run a track machine but when you do the work I do with mine the wheeled machine wouldn't come close to doing what I do with this machine . Like Cat Tech said , it depends on what your running it on it what you get for track life just like tires , I have 1100 hours on my tracks now and other than cuts they look like new and the first set were done at 1600. I run this at the shop everyday on cement and then it's out on the dirt when we have jobs to use it . These used machines in a 289C /299C Cats are getting down for people to own over new , 20 to 40,000 will get you one but you need to look at the maintainace of the machine before you jump on buying one because it is a deal . These things are no different than any other machine when it comes to fixing , get your check book out if your taking it to town for the repair .

Danny 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, DirtBoyz07 said:

I forgot to tell you guys about the two speed in my 299 C Cat , it's really nice and it has auto down shift if your in high range and the load gets to much it will automatically down crap to low range . It will shift back to high when you backup . If your pushing dirt like we use mine you always run in low range , two speed backing up . Mine has the tortion suspension on the tracks and you better know how to run a grease gun on the axels for the suspension . For the cab it would be nice if it was a little bigger but it's not that bad , I'm 6 ' 7" and 260 lbs so I'm one of the bigger guys and really think it's a nice and quiet cab , oh and it has a plastic window and that's a must , I will never own one with a glas door . The window is really good quality plastic and is no problem looking through it and you just wax it with car wax👍

I know there more expensive to run a track machine but when you do the work I do with mine the wheeled machine wouldn't come close to doing what I do with this machine . Like Cat Tech said , it depends on what your running it on it what you get for track life just like tires , I have 1100 hours on my tracks now and other than cuts they look like new and the first set were done at 1600. I run this at the shop everyday on cement and then it's out on the dirt when we have jobs to use it . These used machines in a 289C /299C Cats are getting down for people to own over new , 20 to 40,000 will get you one but you need to look at the maintainace of the machine before you jump on buying one because it is a deal . These things are no different than any other machine when it comes to fixing , get your check book out if your taking it to town for the repair .

Danny 

I found on the D series cats I've run with the lexan door that looking through the bottom where it curves would really make things look goofy. I guess just the way it curves around on the bottom it would really mess with my eyes. Of coarse it's not that often you gotta focus on anything that low but I just found it hard to get used to. Do you notice that on your 299C?

Cat dealer tried talking me into a 289D since there is no Def on it but I just didnt think it would be enough hp for the size of machine. Anyone run one or both to compare? I told them a couple times to bring it out and it never happened so I quit bothering with Cat. At that time I was dead set on trading for a new 299D but they didnt seem interested in my money 😞

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well after all the debate looks like I've bought one. Rather I like it or not I hit the bid button on a nice gehl ctl 75. It sold cheap enough I can afford to put quite a bit into it which it should not need. The undercarriage seems to be in great shape. Time will tell. Finding a deal in the beginning helps make a decision. If I get it home and it's a turd I guess I'm fixing and flipping a ctl. Good idea? Probably not...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Missouri Mule said:

Well after all the debate looks like I've bought one. Rather I like it or not I hit the bid button on a nice gehl ctl 75. It sold cheap enough I can afford to put quite a bit into it which it should not need. The undercarriage seems to be in great shape. Time will tell. Finding a deal in the beginning helps make a decision. If I get it home and it's a turd I guess I'm fixing and flipping a ctl. Good idea? Probably not...

Congrats!   Getting a deal always helps! :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

well hot diggety.........that will be eons/light years above your 763 hopefully it proves out good 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, db1486 said:

Unless things have changed that is not true. Those three used to be the same till 2011/12, I forget which year exactly. My mustang is the same as a tak except with a swing out door. And a few cab differences. The mustang/gehl are now Manitou, and have a different design all together. Tak is there own unit. Same design as forever but they have some vertical lift machines now. Gehl is similar size yet but whole different layout. Although I'm pretty sure the last couple years they came out with the roll up door. They have all improved so much in the last few years now too. Backup camera option, ride control. The gehl/mustang have hyd tensioner tracks that release the tension when the machine is shut off. Also if a track derails you can push a button and it will retract the front roller. No more messing around with greasy tools and pumping the grease gun in the cold weather or in a foot of water cause that's when they like to derail lol. I'm really leaning towards a new gehl when I upgrade. I want to demo a VT320

I would've thought the roll up door would be the best setup. I was always more worried with the swing out door. Theres no smashing the front door on mine since its 5/8" plexi. It's out the back window if I'm trapped. Which I know it comes out easy cause a tree hit it tonight working in the bush and the window popped in lol

i think yanmar makes some for someone cant remember who tho, might be when these guys parted ways - id settle for a broken front door or inconvenience of getting one open once in a while if youre machine catches fire in the engine compartment its going to be a hot escape going out the back window - do the front windows not have the edge pealing rubber like a glass window ? on mine there is a little pull tab for removing it and then glass pops out. 

I know its a one time thing and i know its more convenient with teh roll up door but after going thru what i did it sure makes you think about it more

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, searcyfarms said:

well hot diggety.........that will be eons/light years above your 763 hopefully it proves out good 

 

Thanks it's a 2010. So not like it's a new one but low hours. It's funny the only thing missing is the door and I'd sure like to find one. When the old one didnt have anything I'll take hinge open over nothing. It's funny I didnt realize the takeuchi's have the guillotine style overhead door but gehl stuck with swing open. Wonder why? Cheaper? Either way I've never bought anything sight unseen so this is new territory for me. Let's just say I could put an aftermarket undercarriage under it myself most likely for the savings I got. So I decided to roll the dice. My bil is a gehl/takeuchi dealer mechanic and said i did good if it turns out. Dont want to sound cocky because I know how much these things can cost a guy so knocking on wood while I write this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

you have half the battle won, you have a bil that can help!!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Missouri Mule said:

Well after all the debate looks like I've bought one. Rather I like it or not I hit the bid button on a nice gehl ctl 75. It sold cheap enough I can afford to put quite a bit into it which it should not need. The undercarriage seems to be in great shape. Time will tell. Finding a deal in the beginning helps make a decision. If I get it home and it's a turd I guess I'm fixing and flipping a ctl. Good idea? Probably not...

That should be a good machine for you. Only thing I don't like about mine is that the cab is rattlley inside. Not loud just kind of annoying but you get used to it. Being one size smaller it may not be that bad too. Congrats!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

do you have to drive very far to go get it? are you going to start the new year off with a road trip!!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, searcyfarms said:

i think yanmar makes some for someone cant remember who tho, might be when these guys parted ways - id settle for a broken front door or inconvenience of getting one open once in a while if youre machine catches fire in the engine compartment its going to be a hot escape going out the back window - do the front windows not have the edge pealing rubber like a glass window ? on mine there is a little pull tab for removing it and then glass pops out. 

I know its a one time thing and i know its more convenient with teh roll up door but after going thru what i did it sure makes you think about it more

I think that were using Yanmar motors in some of them. Mine has the Kubota already. I think most of the newer gehls run deutz motors. Hard to remember. Same brand uses different brand motors in different size machines

I'd have smashed the front door out so many times if it was a glass door. I do alot of bush work and going to get a brush mower this winter hopefully, so glass door is not a option for me. The factory lexan doors on other machines I have run do have the safety release latches. I actually never thought of that on mine before. Mine is just a sheet bolted to the door frame. I should probably look at setting it up incase something does happen so it can come off easy 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our Gehl R190 has a Yanmar. It's about five years old. They sometimes need to be hooked up to a laptop to get thinking straight again. Gehl says run at full throttle and it burns a gallon during regen. Burns twice the fuel that way, but hasn't gone in limp mode.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, db1486 said:

Mine is just a sheet bolted to the door frame. I should probably look at setting it up incase something does happen so it can come off easy 

I would highly recommend it, it only takes once - i still have flashbacks.........and boy do i stop n get out now more - mine burst a hydro line in the engine compartment and it was spraying on the exhaust manifold which turned into a blow torch of sorts and we could not get the fire out, the local fire dept dumped two brush trucks on it and had to start on the pumper tank to get it out - before they got there we dumped two small and two LARGE foam tanks on it, never slowed it down at all 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, searcyfarms said:

do you have to drive very far to go get it? are you going to start the new year off with a road trip!!! 

Well yes and no. It's kinda northwest of green bay. 525miles. I have the perfect truck and trailer to go get it. Just hauled a Baler back that was west of there this summer. Truth is I figured up I'd have around $500 in expenses and got a bid for shipping of $750. I think I'm gonna let em have it. Unless they jack me around then I'm off 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

wow thats an amazing price for that far id jump all over that!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, searcyfarms said:

my experience with rollups has been this - kubota ctl door was up and latched, working with it that way to communicate with other workers, drove over 6 inch lip on foundation wall, evident the twist of the machine going over caused glass to break and dropped glass door down my neck, a few lil cuts and shedding clothes to remove so i could keep working. 

my neighbor was using one with the rollup door, it go hung in the tracks/cocked - brand new machine - i dont remember the brand, it was dark/night working, he could not get out from under the door or over the top - he had to get the book out that was luckily in the cab and read how to get out, took him 20 mins to get back window out and crawl up/out of the machine over the engine bay

ME, i have a front swing door on mine, machine caught fire in engine compartment, side windows were open, smoke filled cab, i couldnt see/breathe, i was in a panic, kicked with both feet and launched thru the front door, glass popped right out - if door was stuck on the roll up type i would have likely burned to death, most newer SS even my old Scat Trak 1996 model had pull tabs on the rubber on the glass to pull out - from what i have heard most guys recommend carrying a hammer in the cab to break glass and get out. 

im still up in the air regarding the type door - roll up seems like a good idea but when it sticks your are stuck - you dont have to be able to swing the door open to get out on a swing open door 

 

It's impossible for a roll up door to get hung up on a kubota machine.   Even if it did the glass will pop out easier than most swing style doors. You can knock out the glass in a kubota with your hand they are made that way. 

 Some one put the wrong type of glass in the door if it broke up.  Kubota uses laminated glass in the door so this does not happen. You can't fault a machine because someone didn't repair it right.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Missouri Mule said:

Thanks it's a 2010. So not like it's a new one but low hours. It's funny the only thing missing is the door and I'd sure like to find one. When the old one didnt have anything I'll take hinge open over nothing. It's funny I didnt realize the takeuchi's have the guillotine style overhead door but gehl stuck with swing open. Wonder why? Cheaper? Either way I've never bought anything sight unseen so this is new territory for me. Let's just say I could put an aftermarket undercarriage under it myself most likely for the savings I got. So I decided to roll the dice. My bil is a gehl/takeuchi dealer mechanic and said i did good if it turns out. Dont want to sound cocky because I know how much these things can cost a guy so knocking on wood while I write this. 

Most construction people want the door open so they can communicate with other workers. With an over head door you can operate the machine and talk with other workers and at the end of the day shut the door and prevent weather and vandalism damage.  Can't do that with a swing out door. It has been a Great selling point for takeuchi and kubota.  Both of those companies have taken over a big share of the track machine market. Rented a takeuchi machine this summer to use on a job.   If they had a better dealer network I would not be afraid to buy one 

You will not be sorry you bought a track loader.  There is no way I would ever go back to a wheel skid steer. Nothing wrong with after market tracks as long as you don't buy the cheap ones. None of the track loaders build their own tracks look at who build the ones on it and buy them.  Camso SD tracks are the best i been around. They are good in mud and really shine in snow.   Just keep the tracks cheaned out and don't make sharp turns unless you have to and they will last a long time 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RKO said:

It's impossible for a roll up door to get hung up on a kubota machine.   Even if it did the glass will pop out easier than most swing style doors. You can knock out the glass in a kubota with your hand they are made that way. 

 Some one put the wrong type of glass in the door if it broke up.  Kubota uses laminated glass in the door so this does not happen. You can't fault a machine because someone didn't repair it right.  

nothings impossible, i witnessed/experienced it, it happened, and so did my neighbor,  agreed nothing is perfect and the kubota was brand new with less than 20 hours on it when it happened, it still had the plastic on the seat - im not saying i wouldnt buy one with a roll up door but i would definitely experiment with the options to get out with the pull type molding etc.....

I dont know if the one my neighbor got caught in was a tak, kub, mustang  i wasnt there when it happened - he said he would never own one after that experience - im still on the fence - he purchased a new Cat 262C I believe and has a 185 bobcat also

the glass that was in the kubota sounded like a gun pop when it broke like automotive safety glass and broke up into a million small pieces that fell on my head 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It does seem pretty loud and certainly startles a person.  :(

29869.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...