4 minutes ago, Big Bud guy said:

Their hay cubers used 6-71s.  And maybe I heard it wrong but I thought their top line forage chopper in the 70s used a Detroit too.  There is one connection between then 8010/20 series and Wagner.  And that is the engineer who designed the 8010 formerly worked at Wagner.  

Do you know what model/s that might have been?  I’m not well versed on the real ancient JD forage harvesters but older machines that I am somewhat familiar with all had Deere engines.  Most notable would have been the 5830 with a 619.  Local custom operator had one turned to 400hp (supposedly).  Fox used Detroits exclusively (to the best of my knowledge)  as the diesel engines in their self propelled forage harvesters.  Starting with the 4-71 in the Super D in the late 60s and then 6V-71s in the Max II and newer.

2 minutes ago, Gearclash said:

Do you know what model/s that might have been?  I’m not well versed on the real ancient JD forage harvesters but older machines that I am somewhat familiar with all had Deere engines.  Most notable would have been the 5830 with a 619.  Local custom operator had one turned to 400hp (supposedly).  Fox used Detroits exclusively (to the best of my knowledge)  as the diesel engines in their self propelled forage harvesters.  Starting with the 4-71 in the Super D in the late 60s and then 6V-71s in the Max II and newer.

As far as I know they used Jd. Then n14 Cummins in the next series.

Deere used the N14 in the 6910 and 6950. The smaller engines in each series were Deere. Somewhere along the line Deere started using the Cummins K19 in the big model of their line. Now I think they are using an MAN.

@Big Bud guy, if the oldest Deere forage harvester is the 5400, I know that did not have a Detroit in it. 

Edit to add, looks like the 7800 and 7850 used the Cummins QSX15, the 7980 was the start of the QSK19. 

The Deere 435 tractor and the 8010/8020 used Detroits.  The hay cubers had Detroits, as well. 

The first Deere choppers, 5200 & 5400, used their own engines.  I think that the 5200 had a 466 and the 5400 had the 619.  My neighbor growing up had a 5400.

5 minutes ago, Gearclash said:

I did a little digging and the 5400 had a 531 from the factory. Sounds like some got a 619 swapped in later. 

That is what I found. The 5200 used the 404 and the 5400 used the 531.  Both came onto the market in 1972.  The standard replacement engines for those would of course be the 466 and 619 which is probably why you find 5200/5400s with those engines.  

• 2 weeks later...

I am completely joking here. I think I need to find a Napier deltic to put in a dent sides Ford.? 

It wouldn't even fit in a full size Seni!

deltic-engine-sideview-photo-1-640x459.jpg

deltic-illo-1-640x825.jpg

131009918.jpg

deltic-gears-being-worked-on-photo-1-640x478.jpg

21 hours ago, IH OAK said:

I am completely joking here. I think I need to find a Napier deltic to put in a dent sides Ford.? 

It wouldn't even fit in a full size Seni!

deltic-engine-sideview-photo-1-640x459.jpg

deltic-illo-1-640x825.jpg

131009918.jpg

deltic-gears-being-worked-on-photo-1-640x478.jpg

What in the world is that? Never seen such a complicated cluster.....

57 minutes ago, ST-470 said:

What in the world is that? Never seen such a complicated cluster.....

Pretty efficient use of space and parts. Looks like to me

seems the engine is a German dream. They went to diamond shape 4 crank.

Perfected by the English They turned one crank backwards in the delta shape 3 crank

34BD8E1E-37D3-42B8-8279-B4CA470FAC75.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

I love it when people say "Dude You want to put a 300 hp engine in a pickup??? That's way to big!" I think "how about your next door neighbor's 2016 ford f350 with a 6.7 in it making between 400 and 450 hp stock. if he straight-piped it and deleted the def he could make 500, and tune it to 550-600hp!"

On 2/9/2020 at 7:48 PM, Kevingweq said:

At least the block and heads could be casted by IH if you check the marks ?

Propably not now that Ford owns them.?

• Confused 1

• 4 weeks later...

I recon this truck will end up being Jonny Cash's truck?. The difference is I wouldn't steal it, and it wont all come from the same manufacturer. I found some cool pics, the red and black one is pretty close except for the flat bed and tandem axle. The brown one looks like a family hauling beast. I am debating over using air brakes or hyd. brakes. Air are cool but when you loose pressure your brakes lock. With hyd. brakes it is more difficult to pull heavy trailers. This thing will get air horns and, like our Zetor, the ability to air up tires etc.

OIP.jpg4.jpg

OIP2TKYGOBE.jpg2.jpg

OIP4D1M9GZ3.jpg5.jpg

OIP4LX51QTX.jpg

OIPIUL0NWBU.jpg

OIP.jpg3.jpg

OIP.jpg

How tall is a DV-800 without the turbo? Also how long from the front of the bell housing to the front of the fan and how wide?

IH OAK,  

It’s really cool to see that there is still interest in this old stuff, even in your generation!  That’s awesome!  I trust that between your family support and the redpower forum, you are off to a great start!

The closest comparison to what it seems like you are looking to do is the F350 in the video. It’s a 3208 Cat - 638 cubes and maybe 1800lbs (not sure on the weight).  It’s been done with a Chevy’s too if you search around.  The DV800 is a monster - it would make that 3208 look almost small if you sat them beside each other.

I am almost done a project sort of along the same lines:

I went through a bunch of planning before I landed on my project combination.  The big question you need to answer before hitting go is:  What is more important to you?  The specific truck or the specific engine?

If you want a DV800, then find a MDT IH or Ford as previously suggested and with probably some firewall/transmission tunnel work, it may fit.  Cooling system will be a challenge too (fitting the mechanical fan, etc).  If you want to go 4wd, that will make for a really tall, and likely slow truck. All older 4wd MDT trucks seem to have painfully low gearing.  Sticking with 2wd will be way easier, and give you much more transmission and rear end gearing options.  That DV800 is also most likely going to have an AG governor, not a truck governor and may be a bear to drive as well. Finding a truck governor might be a challenge.

If you want to stick with a F-350 sized platform (and maybe F-450/550), you may be able to fit a dt466, but I have yet to find any good examples that actually run and are daily driven with videos. It seems like there are lots of half-finished/fizzled out build threads out there.  The 466b/c engines also seem to have a really long front end (water pump and pulleys stick out way farther than the 5.9 Cummins).  

The DT360 was suggested on here, and that 3” less overall length could really help with fitment.  I am told a DT360 is actually way more stout,heavy-duty engine as compared to a 12v Cummins.   It had wet sleeves, weighs a couple hundred pounds more.  A DT360 in a F-350 would have been a really Dodge Cummins killer back in the day (not that the 7.3 wasn’t a legend).  

It makes you wonder what the IH/Ford relationship would be today, had they started on the DT360 platform, rather than the 6.9/7.3idi.  I want to be clear that I’m not slamming the 7.3 Powerstoke, it’s just a fun scenario to daydream with.

A DV800 just won’t fit in a 1-ton platform - by the time you actually make it work, you will have basically scratch built a MDT truck chassis, and most of the cab as well.   And, even if it could be made to happen it won’t do anything that a turned up 12v Cummins or Powerstoke can’t already do anyways.

that is cool!

On 4/19/2020 at 4:26 AM, Sask466 said:

IH OAK,  

It’s really cool to see that there is still interest in this old stuff, even in your generation!  That’s awesome!  I trust that between your family support and the redpower forum, you are off to a great start!

A DV800 just won’t fit in a 1-ton platform - by the time you actually make it work, you will have basically scratch built a MDT truck chassis, and most of the cab as well.   And, even if it could be made to happen it won’t do anything that a turned up 12v Cummins or Powerstoke can’t already do anyways.

Yea I grew up around older stuff. IMO the '73-'79 Ford trucks are the best looking trucks ever. My dad has a dent-sides Ford- '78 F-350 body, '79 F350(?) frame, 360 eng. and chevy rear. It was a local trucker's plow truck. We now have a F-150 Ranger with a blown eng. for parts. our main loader tractor is a '80s (?) Zetor. I am broke between the '70s 66 and 86 series IHs and the '80s 88 series for best looks. My Dad has a '95 F-250 with a 7.3 PSD, one brother has a '99 F-250 PSD and another in alaska has a '00(?) F-350(?) PSD with a 5-spd. Another brother (my main inspiration for this) Has a '94(?) toyota with a 2.8 toyota diesel inported from malasia in it.

I think I am going to take the advise from here and start with a 2-ton crew cab and change the grill and fenders.

On 2/26/2020 at 7:25 PM, Rusty shackleford said:

I think it would be cooler to put a dv800 in a 806 or somthing like that

The late Anthony Strand from Kewanee IL did just that. He put a DVT800 in a tractor, and ran it at 1 pull that we were at, in Cambridge, been roughly 5 years ago. We were parked right beside him. I really cannot remember what the tractor was though. He was a diehard IH guy. I'm sure some on here will know who he was. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, IH OAK said:

that is cool!

Yea I grew up around older stuff. IMO the '73-'79 Ford trucks are the best looking trucks ever. My dad has a dent-sides Ford- '78 F-350 body, '79 F350(?) frame, 360 eng. and chevy rear. It was a local trucker's plow truck. We now have a F-150 Ranger with a blown eng. for parts. our main loader tractor is a '80s (?) Zetor. I am broke between the '70s 66 and 86 series IHs and the '80s 88 series for best looks. My Dad has a '95 F-250 with a 7.3 PSD, one brother has a '99 F-250 PSD and another in alaska has a '00(?) F-350(?) PSD with a 5-spd. Another brother (my main inspiration for this) Has a '94(?) toyota with a 2.8 toyota diesel inported from malasia in it.

I think I am going to take the advise from here and start with a 2-ton crew cab and change the grill and fenders.

Nice ford tractor you got there. And being this is a ih forum. Ford is the forgotten stepchild in the cnh marriage now days. We have been acquiring some blue outfits.

6 hours ago, Sask466 said:

Well I am 36 and still haven’t grown up, so I am not sure what your point is...

Kids don't know how to build or fix things.  No idea what he is suggesting.  Unless he's been given money, he can't buy the stuff to build what he is talking about.  I couldn't even begin to finance what he is suggesting to build, and I can build it myself.  This whole thread is nothing but a kids dream.  Maybe someday when he doesn't have to ask how to put a clutch in a tractor, he can learn to custom build a truck. Sorry to be blunt, but you asked. 

• Haha 1

Well in my opinion this board has plenty of space for dreamers and young guys.  The overall positive energy and helpfulness of RedPower is what keeps me coming back, and probably partly why it still exists.

Keep the fun discussion coming!  We need it right now!

• Like 3