18 minutes ago, IH OAK said:

Would a DT-466 fit? It's a straight 6 so would it be to long. I have a friend with a '70's dodge with a DT-466 in it (he can really lay the smoke by going from 3rd to 4th). the truck started with a I-6 in the first place though. when I get through with this I will have a 202? instead of a 197? !ūüėč there is a salvage yard about 2 hours from me in indiana with about 50-60 cement trucks. thought I could get axles there. they are hyd. brakes right? what is a good 10 or 12 spd. trans? the DV-800 red-lines @ about 2400 rpm.(?) but that isn't good for them, right? I was thinking to keep it around 1900-2100 and go 75 in 10th (with a 12 spd.). any suggestions on trans. and axles?

Not easily.  A long time ago I put a 4BT Cummins in an old Bronco, a 6BT cummins in a late 80s F350, and bought someone else's partway finished Detroit 453 into 62 F250 swap project and finished it.  The 6BT barely and I mean barely fit in the F350 - I had to use electric fans on the outside of the radiator due to lack of space.  The 4BT had plenty of room but I had to fab some fairly tricky plates to get the engine mounts to land on the frame in a good place (and both trucks has about 50 other little things that had to be engineered to work).  the 453 swap was a joke - it sure sounded cool but that truck could barely keep up with traffic on the Interstate and that was with an overdrive transmission and the pedal pretty much on the floor.  

I don't regret doing those projects but they burned a lot of money and other than the F350 weren't too practical.  The F350 was a great truck but I could have had a lot more truck for the money had I just bought a newer stock F350.  

As for the cement truck axles, forget about it.  They will be set up for air brakes and will require a completely custom suspension and steering setup to use on a pickup - you would essentially be making a monster truck in the style of the original ones made out of 5 ton army trucks in the 70s.

If this is me now talking to me 20 years ago, I would tell me to focus on a nice factory restoration for a truck or tractor that will be used and to stick to worn out (cheap) equipment to make off road experiments with.  I actually had someone offer me a couple of old IH trucks and a Hough loader to do something like that with when I was about 17 and I really should have taken him up on it.  Instead that stuff got cut up for scrap and I blew probably $20,000+ on the Cummins and Detroit swaps in my early 20s.  To think if I'd put that money in the stock market then what it would be worth today...

• Like 1

I would think a 7.3 swap might be a lot more user friendly and practical and still be an ih motor. They sound nice too. Altho the easiest and probably cheapest route would be to find a nice original and restore it with what ever drivetrain it was born with. Or at least something bolt in it  that was an option for that time period.

We put a P-pump 4BT in a '72 Bumpside Ford.  It runs great and has excellent fuel economy, but the fact that it's a 4-cylinder makes it vibrate like crazy.  I think that we would have done a 6BT if we were to do it all over again.  Can't beat an inline-6 for smoothness.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, iowaboy1965 said:

I would think a 7.3 swap might be a lot more user friendly and practical and still be an ih motor. They sound nice too. Altho the easiest and probably cheapest route would be to find a nice original and restore it with what ever drivetrain it was born with. Or at least something bolt in it  that was an option for that time period.

I would but I want mechanical injection. I hate working on computer controlled cars. my Dad and two brothers have 7.3s (dad's is a 1st gen. turbo, luke and Gabriel's are 2nd gen.).

a while ago I considered cummins 12 valve and Detroit but scapped the ideas. one of my brothers (he is my main inspiration and info giver) imported a 2.4 Toyota I-4 from malasia and put it in a 1994(?) Toyota. he turboed it and intercooled it. it sounded like a semi! he is the one who suggested the cement truck axles and 12 spd. 

also how much boost could the DV-800 stand?

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, IH OAK said:

also how much boost could the DV-800 stand?

I don't think they had the best reputation for durability from the get go 

If I was building a monster truck I would choose a different path.

Start with an older 4wd  single axle 2 ton truck. Adjust the wheelbase and bed to suit the looks you desire. Then add some combine tires and wheels. Be sure to get rice and cane (R2) tires for the big cleats! This would be cheaper, easier and result in a truck with better drive ability.

TThx-Ace

tmp_9049-1974 Ford F600 4x4b.JPG544857237.jpeg

• Like 2

What am I thinking?  It should be a 4wd loadstar! They were even available with a dt466 and the diesel v8 (550?).They were more commonly equipped with v8 gas engines but a friend had one with an in line 6 gas.Thx-Ace

tmp_9049-post-39139-1232930440669829284.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Way too much for a pickup.

there is a site that puts cummins in fords 

think it’s ford cummins.com 

• Like 1

My nephew put a 6bt in a 75 F350.  Real nice truck to drive and pull with

Have you seen a DVT800 in person? They are huge and heavy, like said before. I like cool odd swaps as much as anyone, but the 800 is really not practical for a pickup. A DV 550 or 9.0L would be a little better for a pickup. I think the 573 is a physically larger engine though. I think it is actually part of the 361/407/429 family, which nothing is small or light on those great engines.

19 hours ago, acem said:

If I was building a monster truck I would choose a different path.

Start with an older 4wd  single axle 2 ton truck. Adjust the wheelbase and bed to suit the looks you desire. Then add some combine tires and wheels. Be sure to get rice and cane (R2) tires for the big cleats! This would be cheaper, easier and result in a truck with better drive ability.

TThx-Ace

tmp_9049-1974 Ford F600 4x4b.JPG544857237.jpeg

19 hours ago, acem said:

What am I thinking?  It should be a 4wd loadstar! They were even available with a dt466 and the diesel v8 (550?).They were more commonly equipped with v8 gas engines but a friend had one with an in line 6 gas.Thx-Ace

tmp_9049-post-39139-1232930440669829284.jpg

I think Ace is onto something. Either of these ideas might work out better for the engine op has in mind, at least from my understanding of things.

10 hours ago, tommyw-5088 said:

Way too much for a pickup.

there is a site that puts cummins in fords 

think it’s ford cummins.com 

this would be a pickup/semi/tractor all in one.

I thought about the cummins  but I am more loyal to International.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Injpumped said:

Have you seen a DVT800 in person? They are huge and heavy, like said before. I like cool odd swaps as much as anyone, but the 800 is really not practical for a pickup. A DV 550 or 9.0L would be a little better for a pickup. I think the 573 is a physically larger engine though. I think it is actually part of the 361/407/429 family, which nothing is small or light on those great engines.

I read somewhere on this forum that the 550 crankcase couldn't handle being turboed. I really want the turbo sound and performance.

• Like 1

Correct.  The Indianapolis engine plant tested 550Ts and the lower end life wasn't what we wanted to put the IH name on.  I'm sure a number have been done by owners however and if not abused, are probably acceptable.

• Like 1

No way an 800 is going on a std pickup without looking like a drag car......and killing the whole front suspension....

Take some of the advice above,  restore a tractor for a project and buy a nice daily driver......

I had a strong urge to make a pickup from a single axle ih 9370  with a big cam cummins. My pocketbook and time schedule vetoed it though. Thx-Ace

If you want a different truck then most, buy a desiel school bus. Rip the body off and shorten the wheel base and mount whatever you want as far as a cab, front clip and box. Some have cat c7’s and some with 466’s and others. Wouldn’t be nearly as hard as trying to stuff a dv800 into a pickup. Believe me when I say that the motors aren’t that awesome and parts are getting almost impossible to find. 

• Like 1

To add to the ridiculousness, why not a DT-817 out of a TD-25?  Or what was in a TD-24, I know they were gas start diesels.  Put one of those in a truck and keep it gas start, then you would have a conversation piece.

7 hours ago, Mudfly said:

To add to the ridiculousness, why not a DT-817 out of a TD-25?  Or what was in a TD-24, I know they were gas start diesels.  Put one of those in a truck and keep it gas start, then you would have a conversation piece.

DT817 was in the td25 and started on diesel. The 1091 engine in the td24 started on gas

• Like 1

800 would stick up 2 feet above the fenders! They are BIG! And you do NOT want a DV550, worst piece of crap IH ever built. Even a 466 is too deep for a 350 pickup. The valve cover will be above the fenders.

13 hours ago, R Pope said:

800 would stick up 2 feet above the fenders! They are BIG! And you do NOT want a DV550, worst piece of crap IH ever built. Even a 466 is too deep for a 350 pickup. The valve cover will be above the fenders.

And this is a problem because??  :rolleyes:

Image result for Hood scoop?

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, R Pope said:

There are people that put dt360's in F250-350's. The 360 is ¬ĺ of an inch shorter in height and 3 inches shorter in length then a 466. So I don't think height of a 466 would be an issue¬†

The v8 diesel engines from cummins and Detroit were better than the ih dv800 imho.

You ever heard a two stroke Detroit diesel with a straight pipe? Put a 12v 92 in your truck, 1100 cubic inches and 700hp! Put twin straight pipes on that screaming Jimmy!

Thx-Ace

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, acem said:

You ever heard a two stroke Detroit diesel with a straight pipe? Put a 12v 92 in your truck, 1100 cubic inches and 700hp! Put twin straight pipes on that screaming Jimmy!

Thx-Ace

Detroit Diesel and good do not go together. They are loud, leak oil & have no torque curve -yuk.

The 800 was not a terrible engine as long as they weren't run at 2900 rpms like they were in the 4wd tractors, trucks and scrapers. In the TD-20E's they held up very well at 2100 rpm. The main problem with the 800 and the 817 engines is the parts are getting insanely expensive and hard to come by.

I'm not going to bash anyone if they want to do a project like this, more power to them. It would be cool when completed.

Totally agree with the DV-550 statement in being the worst engine IH ever built! -I'd almost take a Detroit over those:)

• Like 1