2 hours ago, Farmall 1466 said:

You must have found the gold at the end of the rainbow...

I know right. Laughed so hard at it almost peed.....

• Like 2
  • Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As someone who used to undertake in this stuff, which I now call "Nonsense" take it from me............It takes 5x the amount of money you think it will, plus alot of time and skills/machinery to acco

Obviously a work in progress, he said he's only about half done, even if it's in and running

Like this pic I found?  Thx-Ace

Posted Images

Give the kid a break! He's learning, maybe the hard way. We need to "guide" not tear down. 

• Confused 1
On 1/26/2021 at 2:59 PM, IH OAK said:

Okay this thread has been dead for awhile, but I had some questions. In reading on the forum IIRC the DV-800 seemed to have been developed for trucks, didn't get too much success, went to scrapers, performed well at 1900 RPM, went to tractors and they wanted more power so instead of running at 1900-2100 and turning up the pump, they turned up the governor and they got problems. Correct me cause I'm sure I got something wrong. Anyhow, when I do this build, I am thinking to do a titanium crank and maybe cam, could I turn up the pump and turn down the gov. and get the same power with better lifespan?

What was the maximum boost they could handle?

Did they ever put Jake Brakes on them?

Thanks.

Well you might just want to keep it stock, unless you have deeper pockets. The V800 probably isn't the best engine to put much money in. Parts that are available, are very expensive and you probably would be disappointed with the outcome. You are correct, they were a much better engine when ran at 2100 than at 28-2900 but your still dealing with a almost 40 year old engine since it was last manufactured. FWIW, I believe you might want to look at something more "practical".

Good Luck

• Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, ST-470 said:

Well you might just want to keep it stock, unless you have deeper pockets. The V800 probably isn't the best engine to put much money in. Parts that are available, are very expensive and you probably would be disappointed with the outcome. You are correct, they were a much better engine when ran at 2100 than at 28-2900 but your still dealing with a almost 40 year old engine since it was last manufactured. FWIW, I believe you might want to look at something more "practical".

Good Luck

You told him basically the same thing over a year ago........ see below.  

On 12/31/2019 at 9:36 AM, ST-470 said:

Detroit Diesel and good do not go together. They are loud, leak oil & have no torque curve -yuk.

The 800 was not a terrible engine as long as they weren't run at 2900 rpms like they were in the 4wd tractors, trucks and scrapers. In the TD-20E's they held up very well at 2100 rpm. The main problem with the 800 and the 817 engines is the parts are getting insanely expensive and hard to come by.

I'm not going to bash anyone if they want to do a project like this, more power to them. It would be cool when completed.

Totally agree with the DV-550 statement in being the worst engine IH ever built! -I'd almost take a Detroit over those:)

24 minutes ago, ST-470 said:

Give the kid a break! He's learning, maybe the hard way. We need to "guide" not tear down. 

This kid don't listen.  Read the thread and all his other ones too.  Giving him a dose of reality isn't tearing him down.  It's life.  He needs to experience it sooner rather than later.  Otherwise he will be just another snowflake.  The world is filling up with those now........ don't be an enabler. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, J-Mech said:

You told him basically the same thing over a year ago........ see below.  

This kid don't listen.  Read the thread and all his other ones too.  Giving him a dose of reality isn't tearing him down.  It's life.  He needs to experience it sooner rather than later.  Otherwise he will be just another snowflake.  The world is filling up with those now........ don't be an enabler. 

Do you realize how miserable and abrasive you come off in some of your posts?  Your knowledge (and you seem to be very, very knowledgeable) is what makes this forum great, but your attitude is what makes me want to throw my iphone out the window.  

Guess what this young lad has?  It’s an obvious interest in mechanical things and things IH.  Guess what his peer group probably lacks?  I am betting a lack of interest in mechanical things, and almost certainly most have never heard of a DV-800.  And, even if there were peers, he probably can’t go see them anyway due to Covid.  

Is the idea of a titanium crankshaft ludicrous to a person with your level of knowledge? Sure it probably is.  It would be financially impractical, and good luck finding a place to do it.  It also would do little to address the main shortcomings of that engine anyway.  He would be much better served setting his sights on a more practical project.  Ie, find an old truck, get it running, change some seals, drive it around, and dream/plan on throwing 5.9 Cummins into it someday.  

But you are missing the point here - it’s a young guy spending his time thinking about trucks and engines.  I can think of a lot worse ways for a teenager to spend their time.  

Help the young guys out - tell the  to go purchase a book like “Agricultural Mechanics: Fundamentals & Applications”.  If they don’t have the scratch for the textbook, go down to the local library and see what mechanics textbooks they have.  

There is an old saying about if you  have nothing nice to say, don’t say anything at all.  That’s advice someone should have taught you when you were a teenager.  

• Thanks 3
  • Confused 1
10 minutes ago, Sask466 said:

Do you realize how miserable and abrasive you come off in some of your posts?  Your knowledge (and you seem to be very, very knowledgeable) is what makes this forum great, but your attitude is what makes me want to throw my iphone out the window.  

Guess what this young lad has?  It’s an obvious interest in mechanical things and things IH.  Guess what his peer group probably lacks?  I am betting a lack of interest in mechanical things, and almost certainly most have never heard of a DV-800.  And, even if there were peers, he probably can’t go see them anyway due to Covid.  

Is the idea of a titanium crankshaft ludicrous to a person with your level of knowledge? Sure it probably is.  It would be financially impractical, and good luck finding a place to do it.  It also would do little to address the main shortcomings of that engine anyway.  He would be much better served setting his sights on a more practical project.  Ie, find an old truck, get it running, change some seals, drive it around, and dream/plan on throwing 5.9 Cummins into it someday.  

But you are missing the point here - it’s a young guy spending his time thinking about trucks and engines.  I can think of a lot worse ways for a teenager to spend their time.  

Help the young guys out - tell the  to go purchase a book like “Agricultural Mechanics: Fundamentals & Applications”.  If they don’t have the scratch for the textbook, go down to the local library and see what mechanics textbooks they have.  

There is an old saying about if you  have nothing nice to say, don’t say anything at all.  That’s advice someone should have taught you when you were a teenager.  

You really don't know the whole story buddy.  I and others gave this kid advice, suggestions, some guys really tried.  He may have a heart for it, but he doesn't want to be taught or learn.  He just wants attention.  I did give him some good information in the past.  Suggested books, several of them.  I don't mind your opinion at all.... but if you knew the whole story, you'd be tired of this thread, and his other threads too.  You really shouldn't make any long winded posts without knowing what all has been done in an attempt to help this kid out.

And yes..... a titanium crank in this application is astronomically absurd for a list of reasons.  This motor is too large and has too much rotating mass for a titanium crank.  I am confident it would not only be ridiculously expensive, but also not end well.  

• Like 1

Put the TD9 engine in a truck.  Gas start diesel in a pickup would be kewl.

If you want a DV 800 in a truck the best place would be in the bed.

Kewler would be hauling it to somebody giving you money for it.

Titanium crank?  Is that something people snort?

• Haha 2
13 hours ago, Sask466 said:

I don't think J-Mech has bad intentions (or do you @J-Mech?)... I agree that he comes off miserable at times, but that's just because of his choice of words I would say. The message he is trying to get accross, is that it is an absurd idea to put a titanium crank in, just like you do.

He and all of the others on the forum all do their best to help fellas out, and I sometimes see them collide, like they did on my restoration thread. Instead of having a formal discussion and including facts, they start tossing accusations to each other, and that is the problem I feel like. Most of the people here have an incredible amount of knowledge and experience, but their discussions don't always reflect this.

However, I understand J-Mech his irritations about this thread and some others from the OP. The OP doesn't seem to take the advice he is given to heart. It is his good right to not do so, but it does frustrate.

Just my vision on this..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
27 minutes ago, Farmall 1466 said:

I don't think J-Mech has bad intentions (or do you @J-Mech?

I do not have bad intentions.  You hit the nail on the head eloquently. 

• Like 2

I was thinking of spending a ton of money on somthing super hard and wont perform very well and possibly learning half way through the build that I was not aware of the the money and time spent on having a not very powerful truck and also a slug down the road and wishing I never started it, any advice on putting tungsten pistons in a Komatsu v12 so I can throw it in my pickup? Just wondering

• Haha 2
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/28/2021 at 10:06 PM, Sask466 said:

Thanks @Sask466, the book came saturday.

I noticed, quite amusingly, that few people seemed to notice much of anything other that "I was thinking..."

How about the rest of the post?

On 1/26/2021 at 3:59 PM, IH OAK said:

Okay this thread has been dead for awhile, but I had some questions. In reading on the forum IIRC the DV-800 seemed to have been developed for trucks, didn't get too much success, went to scrapers, performed well at 1900 RPM, went to tractors and they wanted more power so instead of running at 1900-2100 and turning up the pump, they turned up the governor and they got problems. Correct me cause I'm sure I got something wrong. Anyhow, when I do this build, I am thinking to do a titanium crank and maybe cam, could I turn up the pump and turn down the gov. and get the same power with better lifespan?

What was the maximum boost they could handle?

Did they ever put Jake Brakes on them?

Thanks.

Why not start with the truck 800 from the beginning? No messing around with governors etc. Not sure if you could reach same power levels with only turning up the pump, I feel like you would have to mess with timings too for optimal setups... might start smoking like a freight train too with that much fuel if it were possible

• Thanks 1
On 2/16/2021 at 6:56 AM, Farmall 1466 said:

Why not start with the truck 800 from the beginning? No messing around with governors etc. Not sure if you could reach same power levels with only turning up the pump, I feel like you would have to mess with timings too for optimal setups... might start smoking like a freight train too with that much fuel if it were possible

I recon it depends on what I can get a hold of.

Get a 549 out of bus. Easier for parts and I don't  know if you enough room for dv800. Give Devons tractor parts a call. He has had a bunch of 550s that were in 68 series. 888 560 1466

• Thanks 1
On 2/17/2021 at 3:20 PM, EASY BOB said:

Get a 549 out of bus. Easier for parts and I don't  know if you enough room for dv800. Give Devons tractor parts a call. He has had a bunch of 550s that were in 68 series. 888 560 1466

I thought about that but I've heard that they couldn't handle turbos. Something about throwing cranks out the bottom.

Just a thought.  I love the idea of a IH v8 .   But a dt466 would be light years ahead and all the power you can afford.    
 As far as staying with a v8 that keeps running, use a old Detroit turbo/ blower. Keeps running. Plus you  never have to change the oil. Only filters ??