Hi i'm new to this forum🛠️, but I am wondering what all the DV-800 got put in. I am looking for one to put in a crewcab 1973-79 Ford F-350. (I am looking for that to.) I would like to put a 10 or 12 speed trans. in and use cement truck axles.🤠

• Like 1

I forgot to ask, what  were the fuel consumption figures on the dv800? As in Gal./Hr. at max load?

Most common in the 4568, 4586, and 4786 tractors. It was also used in some earthmovers and I believe a few got put into trucks. What’s your location?  I know of a salvage yard near me that has several,  don’t know if any are whole yet or if they all were tore down. 

• Thanks 1

The DV-800 is a large engine. 800 cubic inches converts to 13.1 liters. Will take loads of fabrication to beef up / fit it in a F350. Will be cool though. Just a guess, 18 gallons/hr at full load. Get us pictures if you do it!!

It will be easier to find the engine than a crew cab of that vintage in good shape I think. Good luck on your project. 

It's easier to find the truck down here than the engine. I could find both given a little time. I knew where a good d 800 was in a track loader but I am not sure if it is still there. I have a  regular cab 78 2wd f350 if you are interested.78,000miles and rust free. Thx-Ace

One of our members here, R Pope, I think, had an engine available a while back.  I believe he is in Canada.  I have heard that parts are scarce. 

Dennis

2 hours ago, acem said:

It's easier to find the truck down here than the engine. I could find both given a little time. I knew where a good d 800 was in a track loader but I am not sure if it is still there. I have a  regular cab 78 2wd f350 if you are interested.78,000miles and rust free. Thx-Ace

Ace only track loader IH made with a v8 was the 250c and it was the DVT 573 They did put some DVT800 in wheel loaders 

You may be right. The owner told me it was a d 800, I was just repeating what he told me. It is an ih track loader with a v8 diesel engine. Thx-Ace

5 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

It will be easier to find the engine than a crew cab of that vintage in good shape I think. Good luck on your project. 

Quite a few in my part of the world. Problem is those that have them take very good care of them. And, they do not come up for sale very often to someone outside the inner circle.

4 hours ago, farmalldr said:

One of our members here, R Pope, I think, had an engine available a while back.  I believe he is in Canada.  I have heard that parts are scarce. 

Dennis

I still have the engine and trans. It's a ten speed with top gear blocked out. The engine was overhauled when we got the tractor. If you want to come to Saskatchewan and get it, it'll be reasonably priced. I'd like to see somebody make some use of it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sandhiller said:

Quite a few in my part of the world. Problem is those that have them take very good care of them. And, they do not come up for sale very often to someone outside the inner circle.

We rarely ever see a crew cab. I’ve had several regular cabs over the years. Even had one original with 4x4, 15K miles, and factory paint. 

• Like 2

That DV800 will be a hefty engine...in the neighborhood of 2,675-lbs.

I dug up an Implement & Tractor Red Book from 1980.  According to their test # 1317, fuel consumption numbers I find for the 4786 is 12.8 horsepower hours per gallon.  Mark G. is nearly spot on with his prediction for fuel consumption.  The DV800 guzzled 20.175 gallons per hour at maximum available power and 17.6 gallons per hour with 75% of pull.

• Thanks 1

Thanks so much for all the info! I was thinking I could pull a v-8 and put a bigger v-8 in.

On ‎12‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 8:14 PM, MarkG said:

The DV-800 is a large engine. 800 cubic inches converts to 13.1 liters. Will take loads of fabrication to beef up / fit it in a F350. Will be cool though. Just a guess, 18 gallons/hr at full load. Get us pictures if you do it!!

Are you meaning axles/susp. or frame? I was thinking of upgrading the axles to lower-end cement truck axles.

I thought I saw somewhere something like 7.2 gph. in the 4586.

The truck would have to be from somewhere in the south. If I ever get to this (I am 15 years old and almost broke!🙄) the body will get 1 or 2 coats of ceramic paint and the frame 2 or 3 coats of something. I would add a 25-40 gpm. hyd. pump, (3 remotes on back and 2 on front), hi-cap generator/welder, "farmer hitch", CNG supplement, LED lights, 2 BIG turbos (one per side), 5" stacks, air compressor for filling equipment tires, hyd winch somewhere between 10,000 and 20,000 lbs. cap. Of course i'd have to get better power steering etc. Any suggestions, comments, warnings are welcome.

PS. what would be a good 10 or 12 spd. trans., transfer case, and axle combo?

On ‎12‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 7:45 PM, ihrondiesel said:

Most common in the 4568, 4586, and 4786 tractors. It was also used in some earthmovers and I believe a few got put into trucks. What’s your location?  I know of a salvage yard near me that has several,  don’t know if any are whole yet or if they all were tore down. 

I am in Coldwater MI USA. I thought I saw some where on red power that the army bought a lot of them. Am I right? Thanks in advance.

Would a DT-466 fit? Being It is a I-6 would it be too long? I REALLY love the sound of the DV-800 though. Other thought, turboed DV-550?

36 minutes ago, IH OAK said:

Thanks so much for all the info! I was thinking I could pull a v-8 and put a bigger v-8 in.

Are you meaning axles/susp. or frame? I was thinking of upgrading the axles to lower-end cement truck axles.

I thought I saw somewhere something like 7.2 gph. in the 4586.

The truck would have to be from somewhere in the south. If I ever get to this (I am 15 years old and almost broke!🙄) the body will get 1 or 2 coats of ceramic paint and the frame 2 or 3 coats of something. I would add a 25-40 gpm. hyd. pump, (3 remotes on back and 2 on front), hi-cap generator/welder, "farmer hitch", CNG supplement, LED lights, 2 BIG turbos (one per side), 5" stacks, air compressor for filling equipment tires, hyd winch somewhere between 10,000 and 20,000 lbs. cap. Of course i'd have to get better power steering etc. Any suggestions, comments, warnings are welcome.

PS. what would be a good 10 or 12 spd. trans., transfer case, and axle combo?

As someone who used to undertake in this stuff, which I now call "Nonsense" take it from me............It takes 5x the amount of money you think it will, plus alot of time and skills/machinery to accomplish.  You better off finding a low mileage F350, keeping it stock and just fixing it, keep it nice and garaged and watch the value go up............I got a GM sitting here in the driveway with a similar story I put together in high school, mostly because acouple long gone Uncles told me it couldn't be done.............Well it proved them wrong, but took alot of money, time, and honestly although it does drive(Just hauled hay with it actually) it is ugly, and I honestly probably will never find the time anymore to get it finished.  I guess its a good story and everything but my old man instead of walking by in the garage saying nothing should have told me I was a moron and would have been better served taking the time and money and buying stuff that was cheap then is highly collectable now.  But that is part of growing up I guess.  

• Like 7

10 hours ago, IH OAK said:

I am in Coldwater MI USA. I thought I saw some where on red power that the army bought a lot of them. Am I right? Thanks in advance.

Hello neighbor. I live not to far from you actually. 

A little while ago there was someone selling a DV-550 on the IH Facebook page.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TP from Central PA said:

As someone who used to undertake in this stuff, which I now call "Nonsense" take it from me............It takes 5x the amount of money you think it will, plus alot of time and skills/machinery to accomplish.  You better off finding a low mileage F350, keeping it stock and just fixing it, keep it nice and garaged and watch the value go up............I got a GM sitting here in the driveway with a similar story I put together in high school, mostly because acouple long gone Uncles told me it couldn't be done.............Well it proved them wrong, but took alot of money, time, and honestly although it does drive(Just hauled hay with it actually) it is ugly, and I honestly probably will never find the time anymore to get it finished.  I guess its a good story and everything but my old man instead of walking by in the garage saying nothing should have told me I was a moron and would have been better served taking the time and money and buying stuff that was cheap then is highly collectable now.  But that is part of growing up I guess.  

Amen.  BUT...give me a choice between a 15yo son spending money in the garage and learning useful skills, and hanging out with a bunch of stupid "friends" doing drugs & booze.....I say GO FOR IT.  See what you can build!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

When I was your age I took an intrest in old fast cars. I bought a 72 dodge challenger for 150 and figured out I paid too much so I saved up some money and bought a much better one for 450. It was a repo that had the windshield and engine damaged by the previous owner. I spent most of high school working and saving up to rebuild and hot rod it. They were just old cars nobody wanted back then because they burned too much gas!

HHave fun and learn alot.

TThx-Ace

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jeff-C-IL said:

Amen.  BUT...give me a choice between a 15yo son spending money in the garage and learning useful skills, and hanging out with a bunch of stupid "friends" doing drugs & booze.....I say GO FOR IT.  See what you can build!

I get that............Just saying from personal experience, I should have left the small block in mine, and bought tractors or cars that were dirt cheap at the time that are highly collectable now with the money I wasted.  But like I said, it is a good story to tell, and it still is sitting here, I could do without the "Kustom" engine/trans though if the Road Runner I passed up for next to nothing was sitting next to it, or the Packard, or the like new square body GMC, or the................well you get the point.

Oh I get it...Still wish I had not been in process rebuilding the 1968 Olds Delmont 88, when I could have bought the 62 T-bird for $1500

Would a DT-466 fit? It's a straight 6 so would it be to long. I have a friend with a '70's dodge with a DT-466 in it (he can really lay the smoke by going from 3rd to 4th). the truck started with a I-6 in the first place though. when I get through with this I will have a 202? instead of a 197? !😋 there is a salvage yard about 2 hours from me in indiana with about 50-60 cement trucks. thought I could get axles there. they are hyd. brakes right? what is a good 10 or 12 spd. trans? the DV-800 red-lines @ about 2400 rpm.(?) but that isn't good for them, right? I was thinking to keep it around 1900-2100 and go 75 in 10th (with a 12 spd.). any suggestions on trans. and axles?

Stuff a 466 in there, 2800 redline. You might have to massage the firewall and put a pusher fan on the radiator but it will fit. skip the heavy truck axles, Put a Dana 80 out of a 90's dodge in the rear and you'll never kill it. 

Skip the 12 speed, all it gets you is a bunch of low gears you'll never use. Find a 5 speed with OD, most 10 or 12 speeds don't have OD.