1486 fuel gauge

My neighbor has a 1486 that the fuel gauge only goes over to about 1/4 even when full. I grounded the wire at the top tank and the gauge goes to full, so I'm assuming that the gauge is good. But how do you check the rest of it out? Can anything be done without removing the senders? How are the sending units connected? Are they wired up in series, like the lower tank center terminal to the top tank ground and then the top tank center terminal to the gauge? I also have a 1086 that the gauge reads over 1/2 full when its bone dry. This one doesn't bother me cuz its very cheap on fuel, its been on the feed wagon for three weeks since I filled it and the bottom tank is nearly full yet! Thanks , Rob

Im pretty sure the senders are wired in series through the hot wires but from the way you describe the problem I would suspect that the main tank has the bad sender rather than the auxillary tank.

You can check the sender with and OHM meter. Un hook the wire from the guage at the sender and connect one lead of the ohm meter to the terminal on the sender and the other to something that you know is a good ground. Whatever you toched the wire to to make the guage go to full should work. I cant tell you exactly what the ohms reading should be but it will be higher when the tank is empty than when its full. The last sender I seen specs on that was for anoter application was from 22 ohms to 90 ohms. Somtimes you can get a piece of wire and hook the float arm in the tank and operate it up and down to see if the ohm meter reading changes. If you connect the ohm meter and find you have a open sender or no ohms it is bad. It cant be shorted or the guage would read full like it does when you ground the wire.

Good luck

your neighbor's 1486 is doing what my 1086 did. the 1/4 tank is what the bottom sender reads. i changed the sender in the top tank, and now it works fine.

Archived