IH766

The Great Debate

13 hours ago, searcyfarms said:

yea many of us would like to have a reverser and specific loader tractor - do any of you recommend a 4wd vs 2wd for a loader tractor even with the loss of turning radius? I opted against it for mine. I also dont like the 4wd for mowing around stuff either, it would be a huge plus for field work no doubt. 

Cost/budget are a bit difficult for some of us, especially for us share croppers - its tuff out there - beans made 32bu/acre - by the time I got through with paying all the bills my experience this year was 67/acre so not much to write home about. 

My brother has a 2wd 5230 for a loader tractor (semi-retired thankfully, he has a wheel loader how) and I have an MX170 MFD for a loader tractor.  2WD is all but useless under a loader in poor traction conditions.  Have to put a stupid amount of weight on the back to come even halfway close to doing what MFD will.  Maneuverability don’t mean squat when you can’t move in the first place.  MFD turning radius is much  influenced by how the front wheels, and therefore the steering stops,  are set.  I have 2wd and an MFD baler tractors, they will turn about the same because the MFD has the wheels set all the way out.  I wouldn’t recommend setting the wheels all the way out for loader use though.  Way too much stress on the front axle components.

maybe some day i can get a newer updated reverser w/full powershift and 4wd until then its love my 5088 and 2355 loader - I went from a 706 w/great bend loader on it - kept the 706, sold the loader and use my Skidsteer at home dad keeps the 5088/loader at his place - Next thing on my list this spring is remove the handles and heat/bend them over towards the steering wheel and down a little for better lever position - i dont like the dumb levers sticking straight up in the air like they do its awkward 

16 hours ago, acem said:

I've run both and they are good tractors but are getting long in the tooth so look for one in good condition.

II prefer the shifter on the left but many don't like it. If you are over 6 ft the 86 cab may be short for you. The jd can be a  bear to start in the winter in arkansas, I can't imagine starting one in a Canadian winter.

I run three ih 86 series tractors on loaders but both are good brands. Try both out before you buy.

Thx-Ace

6’9 here no problem with 86 cabs have a 10 and a14

• Like 2

I prefer all the controls on the right so my left hand can hold the occasional beer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

For a loader tractor you will fall in love with the shifter on the left so you can run the loader with your right hand.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, superih said:

For a loader tractor you will fall in love with the shifter on the left so you can run the loader with your right hand.

oh nooooooooooooo now we need to find a left handed loader tractor - do you have to buy them with a left handed loader,  left handed transmission and 3 point too? 

what about left handed tires, where do we get those? 

1 minute ago, searcyfarms said:

oh nooooooooooooo now we need to find a left handed loader tractor - do you have to buy them with a left handed loader,  left handed transmission and 3 point too? 

How does that work if you're right handed??? 

3 hours ago, superih said:

If that was true, the 86 series layout wouldn’t have been a one and done.  IH’s own customers apparently didn’t like it enough to keep it around.  The ultimate convenience besides hydros is some of these tractors can shift gears on the loader joystick.  

2 minutes ago, Big Bud guy said:

If that was true, the 86 series layout wouldn’t have been a one and done.  IH’s own customers apparently didn’t like it enough to keep it around.  The ultimate convenience besides hydros is some of these tractors can shift gears on the loader joystick.  

no wonder i love my skidsteer so much for loader work 

1 minute ago, searcyfarms said:

no wonder i love my skidsteer so much for loader work 

We have two of them, so we are covered. A large frame and a medium frame.

i want a tracked one next go round - steel tracks are nice for certain things tho

1 minute ago, Big Bud guy said:

We have two of them, so we are covered.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Big Bud guy said:

I think with the left hand reverser all those problems go away. I would love to have a newer FWA with loader but like the OP, sometimes the budget doesn't allow a tractor like that

The shifting gears on the joystick is pretty slick. Maybe in 30 years I'll be able to afford one of them lol

5 minutes ago, searcyfarms said:

i want a tracked one next go round - steel tracks are nice for certain things tho

I'll never own a wheeled one. Unless it was just going to sit in the yard and move stuff. Having a skid steer has taken so much pressure off our loader tractors and sped things up imo. Mucky corrals, no problem. Need to get in a tight spot, no problem. Just so dang handy

i have ran a couple tracked units, Takeuchi, Kubota and ASV - i like the ride of the ASV, the Controls on the Tak and the cab of the Kub. 

and yes they are amazing what you can do and see the item you are using them for right out the front and get so close to things easily

Don't know anything about the 30 series. I do however have a 2940. It doesn't start great when cold so I plug it in when I need to. Bought a 1486 8 or 10 years ago. Already had a 10 and 1466. Had a loader on the 1466 and put it on the 86 when I got it. My first thought as I needed to get rid of a tractor to help pay for the one I just bought was make brackets and have all red tractors and the loader could go on any of them. As much as I love my red tractors the hydraulics on that vintage suck compared to the deeres. I stack all my hay in a barn and the 2940 stacking runs circles around the others. All depends on how much loader work your doing. If just feeding it doesn't really matter. Newer tractor or a skidsteer would definitely be nice but not currently in my budget either. Never had a mfwd tractor here and never thought I needed one. Not saying they don't have their place but I get around fine on mine. That being said I got around fine in a 2 wheel drive pickup when I first started driving but would be stuck all the time if I had one now. 

Stack me in the prefer 86 series for loader work. I even prefer the 1086 to the 186 for loader work. The shifter just feels in a more natural place. 

Both the ih 86 and jd 30 series were designed for row crop, not loader work so they are a compromise. Most things in life are a compromise. If you want a real loader get a big articulated wheel loader. They can do some serious work! Thx-Ace

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, acem said:

Both the ih 86 and jd 30 series were designed for row crop, not loader work so they are a compromise. Most things in life are a compromise. If you want a real loader get a big articulated wheel loader. They can do some serious work! Thx-Ace

Bought this 1968 #60 Hough from Miller Truck Line in Rugby ND Aug.1991.  I am spoiled. Grab two bales and go. It has a crude home made grapple fork. It had the 3 valves on it.

Used as the main feeding machine until new years day 2009 when some gears broke in the converter. Could not find parts so bought a 1992 Michigan L50  with a 2 yard bucket and the 3rd valve. Arena welding from Pettibone ND built the grapple fork for it.  Found parts for the Hough in May from Mitzel in Aberdeen SD and got in going again.

The Michigan had problems last winter so the Hough was in action again for most of the winter until the Michigan got fixed. One problem with the Hough it is hard starting, 358 V6 cummins but parked in the unheated barn plugged in and warm can of starting fluid is takes off.

Like I say I am Spoiled even if the loaders are old they still get 100 plus cow herd fed every day.  I know they can not do pto work or pull a plow but you never have to weld on them.

These loaders are not big but big enough for what I am doing.

IMG_2573.JPG

• Like 2

19 hours ago, searcyfarms said:

Just put your loader joystick on the left side of your seat, once I was delivering Hay to a guy with the Landini tractor and that’s where they had the loader joystick, because the forward reverse shuttle was on the right side console, it was a real PITA to get used to! 

8 minutes ago, Qc.Can.IH man said:

Just put your loader joystick on the left side of your seat, once I was delivering Hay to a guy with the Landini tractor and that’s where they had the loader joystick, because the forward reverse shuttle was on the right side console, it was a real PITA to get used to! 

Our AC 160 had the loader controls on the left. And get on from the right. Took a bit to get that figured out lol. I'll stick with a 86 series lol

• Like 1

I’m going to give you my very biased opinion, I just love love love the 86 series tractors especially the Hydro 186s! I now have three of the 186s, the first one I bought in 2008 and I put the 2350 loader on it in 2012. It gets used mostly to load big square bales of hay in the field and in the winter time it’s my snow blowing tractor, I just started using it as my snowblowing tractor last year and I wondered why I never used it before now, it’s the greatest thing going for  blowing snow!

The second one I bought in the fall of 2018 at an auction sale it has just under 2000 original hours on it! 

The third one I bought in May of this year, it has four remote valves and an auxiliary fuel tank which is very rare for those tractors in this area. 

The hydros are fairly common in Québec, they often come up for sale and I would like to buy more but the funds are not always available when they’re for sale. 

I also have 786 886 986 1086 1486 3088 four-wheel-drive and a 3688, last spring I bought a 2355 loader to fit on the 88 series but I’m not sure I would like to have a loader on them because they would be too much for my right hand to do, it will be going on one of the hydros for sure!  Unless I find a nice 3488 for the 2355 loader!

I wouldn’t mind having a loader on one of the gear drive 86 series tractors, but since I’m spoiled with the hydros I don’t think that’s going to happen anytime soon! 

Here is some pictures of my hydros 

B21102DA-8250-4223-AE32-5E066D5A0F11.jpeg

D39FE188-ACA7-461C-AD64-4C7154C608CA.jpeg

57C38675-816E-47C0-90D3-A85D83C56264.jpeg

• Like 8

Love It, ive never seen a hydro in these parts - maybe one for sale now and then but ive never seen one or known of one that anyone owned that i got to use or drive. 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, searcyfarms said:

Love It, ive never seen a hydro in these parts - maybe one for sale now and then but ive never seen one or known of one that anyone owned that i got to use or drive. 

Really?

4 hours ago, searcyfarms said:

Only hydro I’ve ever seen is my cousins 1066.  I don’t think they were as popular as IH hoped they could be.  

20 hours ago, Timothy56 said:

Bought this 1968 #60 Hough from Miller Truck Line in Rugby ND Aug.1991.  I am spoiled. Grab two bales and go. It has a crude home made grapple fork. It had the 3 valves on it.

Used as the main feeding machine until new years day 2009 when some gears broke in the converter. Could not find parts so bought a 1992 Michigan L50  with a 2 yard bucket and the 3rd valve. Arena welding from Pettibone ND built the grapple fork for it.  Found parts for the Hough in May from Mitzel in Aberdeen SD and got in going again.

The Michigan had problems last winter so the Hough was in action again for most of the winter until the Michigan got fixed. One problem with the Hough it is hard starting, 358 V6 cummins but parked in the unheated barn plugged in and warm can of starting fluid is takes off.

Like I say I am Spoiled even if the loaders are old they still get 100 plus cow herd fed every day.  I know they can not do pto work or pull a plow but you never have to weld on them.

These loaders are not big but big enough for what I am doing.

IMG_2573.JPG

They ran a couple dump trucks and a dragline excavator. Digging basements and stuff like that. The son passed away not very much later after you bought the loader. I Thought they said the dad had a few old houghs he left to other kids and grandkid.