Pete1468

Christmas meals

What's everyone cooking for a Christmas meal.  My side of the family meal is Christmas Eve night and I'm cooking a prime rib on the grill.  Loved it last year so I'll try it again.

1 minute ago, Pete1468 said:

What's everyone cooking for a Christmas meal.  My side of the family meal is Christmas Eve night and I'm cooking a prime rib on the grill.  Loved it last year so I'll try it again.

As you stated earlier, you don`t shop or decorate so it`s the LEAST you can do...

try not to burn it also.

5 minutes ago, MTO said:

As you stated earlier, you don`t shop or decorate so it`s the LEAST you can do...

try not to burn it also.

My wife says I'm good for one thing and only one thing, grilling.  

Farm raised ham and turkey 🦃 👀👀 got the ham (ginormous) in oven now ,the aroma is driving me nuts. 
Small turkey 🦃

should be plenty 👀

When I got married I told the new bride we're breaking tradition and giving the turkey the boot. For 30 some years now it has been prime rib for Christmas dinner. This year we are trying it on the pellet grill with some apple wood pellets. Got me salivating like Pavlov's dog just thinking bout it😁

• Like 1

We are just making snacks available all day...

So you guys who grill your prime rib, got any good tips. Seasonings, grill types, temperature, how often do you turn it, etc. I have wanted to try it but have been afraid I would burn the outside and be raw on the inside. I have done turkeys and pork loins on a rotisserie with good results. 

Muffins right out of the oven in the morning and tacos i believe at inlaws in afternoon.

1 hour ago, 560Dennis said:

Farm raised ham and turkey 🦃 👀👀 got the ham (ginormous) in oven now ,the aroma is driving me nuts. 
Small turkey 🦃

should be plenty 👀

Farm raised as opposed to what? Suburb raised???😆

• Haha 2

At my parents we've had Schwan's chicken kiev for like ever. When I was little it was too expensive so it was a once or twice a year thing. The tradition has just hung on for years.

Will have homemade mint oreo pie for dessert.

Wifes side is whatever grandma makes, usually WAY to much of it and we all bring home leftovers.

1 hour ago, 560Dennis said:

Small turkey 🦃

should be plenty 👀

Our wind has been in the east all night.........

I wondered what the aroma is............

SMELLS GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 👍

Mike

50 minutes ago, 12_Guy said:

So you guys who grill your prime rib, got any good tips. Seasonings, grill types, temperature, how often do you turn it, etc. I have wanted to try it but have been afraid I would burn the outside and be raw on the inside. I have done turkeys and pork loins on a rotisserie with good results. 

Last year it had a garlic rub on the outside and was very good.  This year I used just a tenderizer and a traeger beef rub and cherry pellets.  I always taste test while cooking to verify its good.

likely pnut butter n jelly here on cmas day, had cmas at my folks over the weekend, my married daughter will be at her own home/moms/inlaws - my unmarried two bio kids will be at their moms also, i will have late cmas eve with my 3 bio 2 bonus kids for the 2 hour of food/unwrappings - probably just make some ham/turkey sliders and chips/dip for that. We go to my wife's family for 2 hours on cmas eve also late afternoon/early evening. 

My wife and I are empty nesters on Cmas day. Not sure how i feel about it honestly, makes me a lil sad. My wife and I usually go for a walk, catch a movie, something like that. We have served at food pantry/shelters as well.

Sometimes I go out and chop/split wood - work on a lil something in my heated barn/shop area. Go help a neighbor, etc.......depends on the year and weather. 

When I am sad/hurting anytime such as cmas day, I usually isolate and numb with work. Its been my drug of choice my entire life even as a kid.  I get satisfaction out of that and some exercise. 

I hope to be working when i fall over dead - its the one thing in life i feel content with, im serving a purpose and someone is benefiting from it.

Thank you lord for your blessings to serve others, the knowledge to accomplish such things and the physical health to work. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, mikem said:

Our wind has been in the east all night.........

I wondered what the aroma is............

SMELLS GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 👍

Mike

image.jpeg.60aeac2136b56b579e34375e2c4dfd01.jpegI’m experimenting with smell a vision 📺 

1 hour ago, 12_Guy said:

Beef burned on the outside and raw on the inside is near perfectly done.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, IH Forever said:

Farm raised as opposed to what? Suburb raised???😆

image.png.8f2d48ae1f7ccd24ba7e382256600864.pngI got from a local farm , so it’s not a Chinese test tube 🧪 

Mike this is what you be a smelling image.png.cb94d7c6cdad175966df4b3410b935d5.png

65620872-27A2-4DEE-9BE3-2B801B6AE10F.jpeg

Ham, deer sausage links, taters and gravy, 

I will be at work on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day as well as my Daughter , she is an ER RN and me a Paramedic so we will have our family Christmas on New Years day .

We kind of have changed from the traditional turkey to having Prime Rib on the menu . 

• Like 1

Prime rib Friday with tatters and roasted root veggies. Of course oysters, cheese and raw veggies for appetizers. Won’t mention desert. 

John

The wife boiled a Clifty Farm ham last week, made enough candy to feed a army. She has home made rolls rising now. Me I smoked a 10lb butt for our community supper night before last. Was sure I would have enough left for sandwiches for a week, no the dish was clean when we got ready to go.

6 hours ago, Atilathehun99 said:

Beef burned on the outside and raw on the inside is near perfectly done.

Finally found something i agree with you on!! ( I'm sure there's other things too...lol)

• Haha 3

Its prime rib here, been a tradition forever.

11 hours ago, Pete1468 said:

My wife says I'm good for one thing and only one thing, grilling.  

Must be short and sweet😂

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, 12_Guy said:

Baldridge seasoning on darned near everything including the taters.