1939MilkTruck

1939 International Milk Truck -Need Engine Rebuilding Help Please!

I've got a 1939 International Milk Truck and I'm trying to get the engine rebuilt but am running into a lot of road blocks. The engine is an "Economy Six"and is 174.9 cu in. I believe it to be a 214 that is sleeved down. Does anyone know where I can get engine parts for it? Also, I'm told I need a new oil pump.

The other question is if anyone knows a newer IHC engine that would bolt up to my existing transmission?

Thanks for any help you can give me!

John Larson

John Welcome Aboard !

Quick search turned up a few tidbits , I think  a parts manual would be invaluable along with any other manuals that can be sourced . Green Diamond Engine - Restoring Cornelius

One other site that i could recommend is OldIHC | Home for the Hopelessly Addicted

We need pictures please ,Best of luck and will keep an eye out for more info and more posts from you

• Like 1

photos required  d hold over or early  k-3 ...? not coe?

would expect any of the green line to fit  may need a few x,y made up

IIRC delta here had a set up for parts/rebuild

• Like 1

It is possible to bolt the transmission to a later OHV engine (220, 240, 264) but they are too long to fit the engine compartment, you would have to recess the firewall. I used to source engines from junked combines for our IH trucks. If you are going to swap in a newer engine you might as well find a V8 and 5-speed .

• Like 1

During the 1930s, IH built a special model for milk truck delivery service.  Earlier models had a stepped down frame so the driver did not have to step up from the running board.  This was discontinued in the D-series model, the D-M, based on the D-5.  Here's what Crismon's International Trucks has to say about it.

D-M Milk Truck 1937-40.JPG

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Howard_P said:

During the 1930s, IH built a special model for milk truck delivery service.  Earlier models had a stepped down frame so the driver did not have to step up from the running board.  This was discontinued in the D-series model, the D-M, based on the D-5.  Here's what Crismon's International Trucks has to say about it.

D-M Milk Truck 1937-40.JPG

thought it may a lowered one ,opposed to modified faegoul and later metro 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My engine rebuilder guy is saying the biggest item is going to be the oil pump. Any idea on where I could get one or what all years and sizes fit? Thanks again everyone!!!

check it have it cut flat,use good oil, not crusty syrup of old,not like you are going racing

The four cylinder engine was a Waukeshaw, same as on the No.8 combine. I have one if you need it! Your truck has D-series sheet metal, same as D2 and D15 had.

I saw one of the flat head I-6 engines in a running vehicle on the purplewave auction  recently.  Check auctions out of the mid-west, those folks hold onto equipment for many years.