MinnesotaFarmall

Same saturno 80

We have a same saturno 80 that has a wix 33166 fuel filter. They also go on the Perkins diesels. How does the fuel get through them if they are solid on both ends like a sealed bean can with just one hole through the center?

Looking at a pic I googled, looks like how a muffler works

Yea, but the inlet and outlet are on the filter head. On the filters that are on it, there is no way for the fuel to get back to the top. It must be a blem on the filter??

Is that a black gasket on the inside of the lip of the filter? If so, take it out and see if there are fuel passages beneath it. That looks like a CAV style filter. The replacement cartridge would come with multiple gaskets. The smaller gasket goes on the bottom bowl. There is a larger gasket that fits up into the base. It contacts the outer rim of the filter. I'm not sure. That's just a guess. Good luck.

• Like 1

It’s not a banjo bolt kind of affair?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MTO said:

Looking at a pic I googled, looks like how a muffler works

Rusts and falls off? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Yes, it's for a cab style pump. I tried to pull gasket out, but I guess I didn't give it all of me. My brother was working on it in the shop. He said he tried to pull o ring off and it wouldn't go. I'll have a look at it tomorrow and see. It very well could have fuel passages under it because that's what the replacement ones look like. 

They are just like the ones on my 1490 case, the ones I took off had holes and the one I put on looked like that, it was cold and they worked so I didn’t think to question how it worked but seems to have slots at the outside ring. 

Like mentioned above, it seems like the o ring is blocking the passages. It could be possible the p.o. put them on in the wrong spots. My brother got it going, I asked how, he said just poked some holes along the outside with a nail so the fuel went through the media and back through the holes. I said he better get new filters anyway. This is a two stage fuel filter system, so the other filter is still working. Same numbers, be interesting to pull that one off too. 

not sure why people think one of the seals goes inside the lip on these. The seal goes inside a groove up in the header. I've seen lots of people do this, and complain it won't bleed. Well, duh, it has no flow. Had one guy his had a small loop so it did bleed and actually ran, but was way short on power. He though for sure his pump went south lol! These used to have holes all across the top, but now for some reason they went to a slot around the outside, and of course the placement of a sealing ring there seals it off perfectly lol!

Kind of dumb design for simple minds lol. I'll check into it. He is going to pick up a new set of filters anyway. 

I've had more service calls for no starts after they've changed fuel filters like that, they always put the o-ring in that groove and block off the fuel flow. It does fit nicely in there and is easy to assume that's where it goes. One between the filter and the base and the other in the groove in the filter head. 

New Holland used to use them on their wind rowers and when i purchased my 1118 i was looking in the PDQ parts book out of DesMoines i think it was and there was a spin on converter for the filter you have pictured. I purchased a pair of them and that was one of the very best purchases i ever made for that windrower. Traded it for a CaseIh and let the items go and PDQ is no longer in business but surely someone still makes that little spin on converter for that filter style. At least you did not have to use a hand full of O rings every time you change the filters

In the 60's and 70's 90% of the European tractors had this filtre.

It's know as CAV filter.

cav.png

My 885 David Brown has the same filter, just like Bart posted.  It's fine, as long as the seals are in the proper place!

They look almost identical to that. That's what happened is with the o ring. I'm almost sure of that.