Sign in to follow this  
Rusty shackleford

Wonderfull quilt made for my son

My nice mother in law made this for my 4 year olds birthday, 20191222_142804.thumb.jpg.f2e9c832e16e5d7e60821427768f6a76.jpg20191222_142822.thumb.jpg.f3c5e2ce9f3e71f06c42a064e6a25b49.jpg20191222_142932.thumb.jpg.1d02893c30292e9939a4dad012e3e171.jpg20191222_142829.thumb.jpg.5780a3ea7c25fc7a49d9f1f63bdac69c.jpg

• Like 19

Very cool. Looks like he likes it too. 

• Like 2

Sure looks good. Job well done. 

• Like 3

Quilts are family history and heirlooms.  These women invest the immense time and effort to create these art forms for those that they love.  Often like the one for your son, the subject is personal to the recipient.

My Grandmother made one for me.  Her's was a panel of every state in the Union and its State Flower.  She passed quilting down to my Mother who made for me, knowing my love of the outdoors and nature, panels with each one being a different leaf of the trees of Michigan.  A number of years ago now this grand old woman entered one of her quilts in a show down in her winter home of south Texas.  Over 350 quilts were entered into the competition and she took Best of Show.  The local paper reported on it as follows.

Best of Show

The Best of Show award went to Mom of Bloomingdale, Michigan for a hand-made quilt, “Reflections of Baltimore.” Mom who said the quilt was difficult to make and took her three years to make, working off and on. The quilt was a large off-white quilt with flower baskets in squares on the quilt.

Carol Hover, registration chairman for the 2012 show, explained that while the Baltimore pattern is very popular, it is very difficult to make because of the complexity of the flower designs. She said she believed Mom's quilt was selected as Best of Show because of her workmanship, which was impeccable.

“If you did not know that quilt was hand-made, you would think it was machine-made. Her stitches were very neat and precise,” said Hover.

Your son is a very lucky boy and bless his grandmother for passing to him something dear that will be cherished by him forever.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Another lost art

Cute little fella  and great quilt 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My grandma made quilts for all the grandkids. I watched as everyone got the standard 4-6 quilt. My issue was I was 6-3 and I asked her if she could make me a longer one and she did it’s still my best blanket ever after 40 years. Don’t come out much 

John

• Like 4

Mom Quilt Best in Show.jpg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Beautiful work. Make sure he doesn't love it to death. I did with mine when I was small.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Atilathehun99 said:

Quilts are family history and heirlooms.  These women invest the immense time and effort to create these art forms for those that they love.  Often like the one for your son, the subject is personal to the recipient.

My Grandmother made one for me.  Her's was a panel of every state in the Union and its State Flower.  She passed quilting down to my Mother who made for me, knowing my love of the outdoors and nature, panels with each one being a different leaf of the trees of Michigan.  A number of years ago now this grand old woman entered one of her quilts in a show down in her winter home of south Texas.  Over 350 quilts were entered into the competition and she took Best of Show.  The local paper reported on it as follows.

Best of Show

The Best of Show award went to Mom of Bloomingdale, Michigan for a hand-made quilt, “Reflections of Baltimore.” Mom who said the quilt was difficult to make and took her three years to make, working off and on. The quilt was a large off-white quilt with flower baskets in squares on the quilt.

Carol Hover, registration chairman for the 2012 show, explained that while the Baltimore pattern is very popular, it is very difficult to make because of the complexity of the flower designs. She said she believed Mom's quilt was selected as Best of Show because of her workmanship, which was impeccable.

“If you did not know that quilt was hand-made, you would think it was machine-made. Her stitches were very neat and precise,” said Hover.

Your son is a very lucky boy and bless his grandmother for passing to him something dear that will be cherished by him forever.

22 minutes ago, Atilathehun99 said:

Mom Quilt Best in Show.jpg

Are these two posts one and the same person that you mentioned? It’s a beautiful quilt!

• Like 3

That is a beautiful quit and so much love went into making it. My mother still quits at 92 years old and it is a lost art!! 

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Ihfan4life said:

Are these two posts one and the same person that you mentioned? It’s a beautiful quilt!

They are.  That's my Mom and the quilt that won the award.

• Like 5

Just now, Atilathehun99 said:

They are.  That's my Mom and the quilt that won the award.

Very nice. I have 4 that my grandma made. She done them till she was almost 90. 

• Like 4

That’s awesome, my grandmother made quilts, after she died each of us grandchildren picked one out. She had a bunch of them all brand new in bags ready for sale. My father in his infinite generosity gave mine to his cousin...🤬🤬🤬

i hope your son gets a lifetime of enjoyment from that quilt 

• Like 3

That's pretty cool. My mother is big into quilting, amazes me how much time she puts into each one. I get her a gift certificate from the local quilting shop every Christmas.

• Like 2

This was made by my sister after our special needs sister passed away in ‘17

She couldn’t toss her shirts, and felt like they needed something special done with them so she made a quilt and a pillow for the siblings. Just got this hung up this week.

5565B1F4-891C-4C8A-BBA0-58BB59093730.jpeg

• Like 10

Really cool quilt.

Rick

• Like 3

10 hours ago, DT Fan said:

That's pretty cool. My mother is big into quilting, amazes me how much time she puts into each one. I get her a gift certificate from the local quilting shop every Christmas.

There is a quilt club in Baxter if she's interested.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ihfan4life said:

Just got this hung up this week.

Like the hanger so that you can see and preserve the memory.

My grandmother was a very good quilter and made me a deer quilt, which I still have to this day.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, kal said:

There is a quilt club in Baxter if she's interested.

Kal, she is involved in a quilt 'guild' that is based out of Newton I think. We're not far from Baxter, will ask if she is familiar with the one you mention.

• Like 2

those are wonderful quilts, great stories of the value of nostalgia and the love of those who selflessly give for others. My wife quilts and it amazes me how much time/energy goes into them. There are so many different ways to quilt also. Some of the new machines are amazing in how they work. 

Totally hand done is of course the greatest of all. My wife usually does them by hand start to finish. She only has a 40 y.o sewing machine to work with outside of the hand sewing.

She did have one finished on a machine recently. She had made the front and back by hand and had the batting in the middle she just didnt have time to sew them together before a wedding. We squared it all up, pinned it and then took it to the quilters for the tatting. We got it back and then she put the edge binding around it for the final effect. Its quite  a process and when you do not have racks/machines to do it all with its takes a little help and i totally understand now why women have quilting clubs. It makes it easier to have an extra set of hands just like us guys working on a piece of equipment. 

• Like 4

14 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

My father in his infinite generosity gave mine to his cousin...🤬🤬

Guess your cuz deserved it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ihfan4life said:

This was made by my sister after our special needs sister passed away in ‘17

She couldn’t toss her shirts, and felt like they needed something special done with them so she made a quilt and a pillow for the siblings. Just got this hung up this week.

5565B1F4-891C-4C8A-BBA0-58BB59093730.jpeg

That is very thoughtful of your sister to make that and for you to display that in memory of your late sister.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, MTO said:

Guess your cuz deserved it.

Geez Mark!  Would _I_ ever harass poor old Sethro like that?  Come on man......

Oh, right, I most certainly would!!!

• Like 1