vtfireman85

Gasoline spill in basement/garage.

The wife started shrieking this morning at me. I went running and found the air hose I pulled out (one of those stiff cheap ones, had tipped a can of chainsaw gas over and pulled the cap off. , dumped 3-4 gallons all over the floor. I unplugged the air compressor and freezers and cleaned the mess up with pellets, but now it stinks bad. 

Any suggestions? It’s going to be marginally warm today so I’m thinking I can leave the people door open. Maybe cat litter with baking soda? Any suggestions?

honestly I'd pressure wash it out the door...

• Like 1

I would normally say JOKINGLY “gasoline and a match”, but I do not want to throw any more gas on the fire!

Do you have a fan that you can blow the fumes OUT with?  You are smart enough to know that you should not “pull” gasoline fumes through a fan.

DO NOT USE SCENTED KITTY LITTER!!!  Some of the perfumes can react in a bad way I have been told.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Back when our “rec room” was a garage we had a bad gas spill. Arm and Hammer oder control cat litter helped a lot along with hot water , white vinegar and baking soda after the cat litter. A little air freshener or Fabreeze for any lingering odor.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, 1586 Jeff said:

Do you have a fan that you can blow the fumes OUT with?  You are smart enough to know that you should not “pull” gasoline fumes through a fan.

Absolutely.  Positive pressure ventilation.  If you can put a window fan pushing air in at a window in the other end of the house, and control air flow by closing all windows and doors except the door in to the garage and the garage door itself, it should change enough air to help a lot.

You probably know more than I do about this but I get redundant sometimes.

• Thanks 1

Who has 4 gallons of chainsaw gas mixed up? I thought you were an electrician not a logger. 😄 From now on buy that premixed stuff in the one gallon metal cans. Better for long term storage and the lid will not pop off if knocked over.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, MarkG said:

Who has 4 gallons of chainsaw gas mixed up? I thought you were an electrician not a logger. 😄 From now on buy that premixed stuff in the one gallon metal cans. Better for long term storage and the lid will not pop off if knocked over.

Ask me no questions, I’ll tell you no lies😉

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, vtfireman85 said:

Ask me no questions, I’ll tell you no lies😉

First qualification for congress.........................;)

Mike

• Haha 3

There is a product used by HVAC guys to get rid of fuel oil odors when working on oil furnaces. I think it's called odor neutralizer. I don't know if it will work on gas but I assume it would. It comes in an aerosol can.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Gas odor goes away fairly quickly. I know the wife always gets mad at smells but some you just live with. Like I said gas smell unless it was real old goes away.

Time and airflow are the only thing that will get it all out. Puddle some hot soapy water on the area, shop vac and repeat.

This last spring I filled my 6 gallon gas can, I had to carry it in the trunk of my car since the truck was down. While at the store I also picked up a case of beer. Well, I remembered the case of beer but for some reason forgot about the can of gas. After driving back and forth to work a couple days, I kept smelling raw gas.... looking under the car and under the hood for a leak.... then it dawned on me. Popped the trunk, can was almost empty, spare tire well was full. Gas had run forward under the back seat... Did as I said, gutted interior, dropped the carpet in a barrel of hot soapy water and let it soak. Drove front wheels on ramps, flooded rear of car. Washed seat cushion, then it sat in my front yard for 2 weeks on every sunny day. Can't tell it ever happened now and it's the cleanest it has been since new.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

You could try spreading a thin layer of activated carbon over the spill and let it set.  It's a bit pricey but will soak up the hydrocarbon vapors like a sponge.  You'll have to clean that up but at least the odor will be gone.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Atilathehun99 said:

You could try spreading a thin layer of activated carbon over the spill and let it set.  It's a bit pricey but will soak up the hydrocarbon vapors like a sponge.  You'll have to clean that up but at least the odor will be gone.

This.  

Ozonics unit for hunting should be able to make it go away for the most part. Just follow the instructions for safety reasons

• Thanks 1

Just now, MarkG said:

$22 per g here and $40 just on gas and mileage to get it and they charge extra tax!  not open when one would then cart it 100+ m the wrong way

Haven’t been home yet tonight, some good suggestions here, I’ll see the severity of it when I get there. I left the big door open when I left for the day. Upstairs stunk worse than down when I left. 

Local guy siphoning  gas from a motorcycle in his garage , ran can over and hot water heater came on . Burnt garage and a 55 chevy 2 dr ht that he was working on for a friend!

• Sad 3

Without reading all replies, all I can say is you could screw up a one car funeral...

• Haha 2

Just now, new guy said:

Why would you have gas in the house in the 1st place??

Well if the car was there there would be more than just a can of chainsaw gas...just saying 

dawn will cust oil/petro as well as most hand cleaners if you have markings/chemicals that are left on the floor - mouthwash with alcohol also works well for odor removal/cleaning and you can wash clothes in it or scrub clothes with it also, cooks/uniforms to get out odors also. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MTO said:

Without reading all replies, all I can say is you could screw up a one car funeral...

Your a real ASSet  sometimes mark

3 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

Your a real ASSet  sometimes mark

Always here to help

And u r welcome.

14 hours ago, TP from Central PA said:

Cover it up with methane gas..............Fart on it

Careful - some of them can be self-lighting!