I agree with this ad.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Grain fed does taste better. Thanks for the reminder.

All beef is good and good for you. Personally, I prefer grain finished beef, better flavor and tenderness IMHO. I try to feed one a year for my families use. My hay, corn from a neighbor and a finishi

I read "never ever, grass fed beef"  Meaning never ever eat grass fed beef. Grass fed has less taste.

Posted Images

16 minutes ago, mader656 said:

Yup 

I like taste so grain fed.

We feed cattle and we're grain fed cattle. Butcher one of our own once a year. I may be biased but I put our beef up against anyone's. The Mrs who was raised around expensive Chicago steakhouses and says our beef is way better. Even her friends who have tried our meat rave how good it is.

• Like 4

The sign doesn't really agree with what you're saying but I agree with you.

Maybe things have changed but I remember being in Scottsbluff NE as a kid on vacation. The restaurant had grass fed beef on the menu which seemed strange to me since we raised cattle on corn. Maybe just that beef but I thought it was like shoe leather.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, IH Forever said:

The sign doesn't really agree with what you're saying but I agree with you.

Maybe things have changed but I remember being in Scottsbluff NE as a kid on vacation. The restaurant had grass fed beef on the menu which seemed strange to me since we raised cattle on corn. Maybe just that beef but I thought it was like shoe leather.

I read "never ever, grass fed beef" 

Meaning never ever eat grass fed beef.

Grass fed has less taste.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, mader656 said:

What i have ever had of grass fed beef it was like eating a pair of my cowboy boots ( probably a pair i work in at that). Very stringy.

We were talking to my Uncle a week ago about our different feeding practices. We push the grain harder then his daughter ( cattle there are her thing) We are turning cattle from birth to completely finished in 16 months. And these cattle are anywhere from 1200 to 1500 lbs live weight. Not to toot our own horn but when we sell we are either top of the market or right next to it. The buyers around here like them bigger. We get them to that size with the right amount of finish without being overfished.

We mostly grass feed (just hay in winter) are heard  some creep feeding for calves.   But we put a couple up and feed them good.   Grain feed, good hay, salt/ mineral, and all the water they want. 
makes for some really good beef.     We send it to a butcher get the cuts we want grind the rest.  Can’t even buy meat at the store as good as are “ junk cuts “.  Lol.   

• Like 1

Whats funny is how we "sell" some burger to friends at church etc.  Only close ones.  But they will have people over for dinner and they want to buy too.  They (friends) all rant and rave how great it it.  They her grian and hay and silage etc.  The open springers are best.  Few will buy 30 to 40# of burger so they wont miss out if we dont butcher for a bit.  One friend had coworkers over...she asked her if it was orgazmic.  Friend said well they eat grass and hay so sure.  I laughed.  Told her if that lady wants some it $7/# for her😉 

Funny parts is I'm like...this was 1098..she did the splits....taste normal

• Haha 1

All beef is good and good for you. Personally, I prefer grain finished beef, better flavor and tenderness IMHO. I try to feed one a year for my families use. My hay, corn from a neighbor and a finishing pellet from the feed store. Oh, and don't underestimate the good clean sandhills water😀

1480526752_cowbeefposter.thumb.jpg.d115e95122c768f7f55d2f99547b8835.jpg

• Like 6

I think that's a propaganda claim started yrs ago to assure the city folk or people worried about  antibiotic's and growth hormones being in their meat 

• Like 2
15 hours ago, mader656 said:

I understand how you read it...but reading the fine print I don't think that is what they intended when making the sign.😀

OK guys this is where you are making a mistake. You are judging by what you want. You forget that the customer is the one buying the product spending.......what was that stuff called?????OH that's it......THEIR money, deciding what to put into THEIR bodies! What you want doesn't matter. Ridicule is not going to make health conscious people go away. The will jump from one thing to another. 

As far as the sign? Kinda goofy but that will get people's attention and they will read the whole thing I think.

Rick

• Like 1
1 hour ago, oldtanker said:

OK guys this is where you are making a mistake. You are judging by what you want. You forget that the customer is the one buying the product spending.......what was that stuff called?????OH that's it......THEIR money, deciding what to put into THEIR bodies! What you want doesn't matter. Ridicule is not going to make health conscious people go away. The will jump from one thing to another. 

As far as the sign? Kinda goofy but that will get people's attention and they will read the whole thing I think.

Rick

Absolutely right there rick. Kind of like people raising organic food around cities. If that’s what people will pay out the wazzu for you should sell it to them. But the key is you need to be around a population center.

^^^

Gotta love those city folks, if you use the right buzzwords, locally grown, organic, ethically raised, grass fed... they line up and pay top dollar for a 90 cent steak.

Guy at work buys a few feeder calves and turns them out on his pasture, then basically forgets about them all summer. Tosses a round bale or 2 out for the winter..... bought a 1/4 from him a while back, tasted like venison... I really don't like venison. May have only been $1 lb hanging, but I will go somewhere else for beef.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, oldtanker said:

Rick

You are absolutely wrong Rick, at least about my comments. I'm talking about what I want. I understand what you are saying and agree with you on taking advantage of what the consumer wants. BUT...what I want DOES matter, I will continue to eat corn fed beef because that is what I like. Kind of like your opinion about an M Farmall, many disagree with you but you still have your preference.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, oldtanker said:

Rick

You are missing what Jacob is saying. HE is talking about himself and his preference

• Thanks 1
57 minutes ago, dale560 said:

Absolutely right there rick. Kind of like people raising organic food around cities. If that’s what people will pay out the wazzu for you should sell it to them. But the key is you need to be around a population center.

Actually no. Local guy here, out in the middle of nowhere, has a contract to sell grass fed beef to a major food store chain. They even pick the animals up at his farm. He ships them about 500 head a year and gets top dollar. Thing is a guy has to look for the market if he produces enough. Got another family here raises organic pork and believe it or not buckwheat. They sell on contract about 2000 butcher ready pigs and 500 acres of buckwheat a year to the Japanese, at way better prices than they can get from US markets. So the markets are there. Just gotta produce enough and do the work to find the market.

8 minutes ago, IH Forever said:

You are absolutely wrong Rick, at least about my comments. I'm talking about what I want. I understand what you are saying and agree with you on taking advantage of what the consumer wants. BUT...what I want DOES matter, I will continue to eat corn fed beef because that is what I like. Kind of like your opinion about an M Farmall, many disagree with you but you still have your preference.

OK, my mistake. I thought you were going the other way. Sorry.

4 minutes ago, bitty said:

You are missing what Jacob is saying. HE is talking about himself and his preference

Yea I did miss it.

Rick

• Haha 1

The sign seems to contradict itself, but the ad people were going for a play on words.  It might backfire on them with some people.

You know the whole grass fed thing is really kinda funny when you really understand farming and feeding cattle. Cattle finished on corn or corn silage are grass fed beef as much as one that never leaves the pasture. You do know that corn is considered a grass right? So actually all our cattle that are finished on corn are finished on the actual grain from a plant that is in the grass family. Grass fed is simply a marketing ploy to get more per pound and some cattle producers choose to take advantage of a very uneducated public. I have nothing against grass fed beef or the fine cattleman who raise it and fetch good money for it. I myself will continue to raise cattle finished on the actual seeds of the grass plant and eat that beef as well. I like it better. My hats off to all cattle producers, myself included, and to those who find a way to get paid more by the gullible, you go guys.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, oldtanker said:

Rick

What a bunch of those grass fed guys aren't telling the public is how those grass fed cattle are getting to weight in a acceptable time frame. A fair portion of them are getting implant/hormone treatment. Ive had guys that went the grass fed route freely admit it to us. Otherwise the rate of gain is down and as long as you have them long enough to be on a pet basis with them. Watch the true organic guys feed cattle on a truly grass basis on and see how long they are around until they are finished. In the case above they are hormone free but others say just grass fed beef and my scenario does play out. All marketing gimmicks. 

We've never used implants/hormones on any of our cattle we've fed out. If you do, that's fine. Not against it. But if im getting results without hormones with grain and those that are doing the grass fed route are doing it with hormonal. Who's more natural?

• Thanks 1

Grain fed is the best,we always fed corn silage and hay,ground corn,barley,soybean etc.then 90 days before they all were ready or about to be the silage usally getting towards all anyway and dad would switch to straight grain and hay.Best beef ever.We were just small cow/calves  but would finish 50 a year when I was a kid.Sell most for freezers,rest went to auction .You never needed any steak sauce,spice ect.Grass fed is crock pot beef.

• Thanks 2

The whole thing about grass fed is keeping the fat content down for people worried about heart health. I agree some grain makes em taste better due to more marbling. Also have seen plenty of over fat cattle over the years that you might call heart attacks on hooves.