john deere dealers

pt756

hello so today was at the new Holland dealer, single family dealer, as we talked i said there aren't many of you left, I said look at john deere, he claims there is only one single family john deere dealer left in the united states,, then he went on to talk about another dealer new Holland he has gotten to know in Kansas, use to have 13 stores, now down to 4, now the customer has got to do the driving,

8 minutes ago, Big Bud guy said:

I live in the land of Torgersons with 9 locations.  The one stand alone red dealer we had switched over to NH to stay in business.  

Lucky us and in 350 miles away..

I was told by a guy who's son works for John Deere they want a dealer structure similar to CAT. They have set certain criteria in sales that have to be met or they have to sell out. It has really shut down dealers in smaller market area's that can't sell 10 combines for example.  Greg Stephen from the former Stephens Equipment in CO(it was shut down) has written in Green Magazine for years. A few months ago he really ranted against Deere and its policy. They closed down four of the oldest JD dealers in the US. Two of them were multiple time gold star dealers. It's not the same company it was when dad bought his 1970 4020.

5 minutes ago, mader656 said:

Lucky us and in 350 miles away..

They have a store in Billings and their reputation seems to be state wide from what I have heard.  I remember one time we had a salesman show up at our doorstep who was working for Meissners at the time.  They were the red dealer out of Havre.  Not soon afterwards, they were bought out by Torgersons.  And just a month after that we ran into that same salesman at the local fair working for JD.  Asked him what happened and he said he didn't like the way the dealership was getting run so he left.  

1 minute ago, Big Bud guy said:

They have a store in Billings and their reputation seems to be state wide from what I have heard.  I remember one time we had a salesman show up at our doorstep who was working for Meissners at the time.  They were the red dealer out of Havre.  Not soon afterwards, they were bought out by Torgersons.  And just a month after that we ran into that same salesman at the local fair working for JD.  Asked him what happened and he said he didn't like the way the dealership was getting run so he left.  

If your not viral on YouTube or ready to buy a brand new machine your not gonna get good service....

We were the home of the last single Deere store in the state of Michigan until the end of August (Godfrey's out of Jonesville Mi) Got a letter in the mail just after the business sold to Greenmark, the biggest dealer in the state. Not really happy about who Deere dictated they sold too as my opinion of Greenmark ( at least the service we have received at the Athens location). There were 2 other dealer networks that i would have rather seen them sell to than Greenmark. We all knew it was coming but it didn't make us any happier when it did happen.

Still several stand-alone CaseIH dealers in SD.

Lamb's in Onida

Harry's in Ferney

Scott Supply in Mitchell(over 100 years as a red dealership)

Lake County International in Madison

O'Keefe in De Smet(over 100 years as a red dealer)(they do also own the store in Brookings..not sure if you want to call that a stand-alone dealer or not).

Sioux International in Sioux Falls(they do own a satellite store in Freeman)

Mathis in Winner(long time red dealer).

cedar farms' comment is the same thing our former salesman said about CaseIH in the late 1990s when they started pushing hard on all of their dealer certification standards...CaseIH wanted a dealer structure setup similar to Caterpillar...where you have large dealers with strong territories...and customers have greatly reduced bargaining power due to established dealer territories that limit competition between dealers.

We had a large Deere dealer network around us nearly go broke a couple years ago...Deere could have cared less....they just moved another(larger) dealer network to take those stores over.

This all reminds me of a conversation I had with my old IH dealer when we met at RPRU in Huron in 2014. He told a story of how he went to an IH dealer meeting in their Minneapolis district office in 1975. He was walking down a hallway when he walked by a map of the Upper Midwest. He looked at the map for the state of South Dakota, and saw about a dozen stars on the map. He asked some IH district rep what the stars on the map meant. The rep told him that that was IH's future dealer network...the entire state of South Dakota could be covered with just a dozen dealers(at that time, there were probably over 50 IH dealers in the state of South Dakota). So, IH was already in "dealer reduction mode" in the 1970s. My dealer said that looking at that map made him realize that his days as a dealer were numbered.

Don't matter. All of the companies save big money if they force the multiple dealer franchises.

Say with Titan for example. They can have a parts at one store and ship them to another, often at no additional cost therefore saving CASEIH from warehousing or shipping something in the free weekly shipments. That's how I got the bushings for the shift mechanism for the gear transmission for the 706 a couple of months ago. The Fergus Falls MN Titan didn't have them but the Morehead MN Titan did and I was able to pick them up the next day because they run a pickup to several different stores to pick up or drop off parts as needed. Or CASEIH would have shipped them to my door for an extra 20 bucks.

Rick

8 hours ago, SDman said:

Still several stand-alone CaseIH dealers in SD.

Lamb's in Onida

Harry's in Ferney

Scott Supply in Mitchell(over 100 years as a red dealership)

Lake County International in Madison

O'Keefe in De Smet(over 100 years as a red dealer)(they do also own the store in Brookings..not sure if you want to call that a stand-alone dealer or not).

Sioux International in Sioux Falls(they do own a satellite store in Freeman)

Mathis in Winner(long time red dealer).

cedar farms' comment is the same thing our former salesman said about CaseIH in the late 1990s when they started pushing hard on all of their dealer certification standards...CaseIH wanted a dealer structure setup similar to Caterpillar...where you have large dealers with strong territories...and customers have greatly reduced bargaining power due to established dealer territories that limit competition between dealers.

We had a large Deere dealer network around us nearly go broke a couple years ago...Deere could have cared less....they just moved another(larger) dealer network to take those stores over.

This all reminds me of a conversation I had with my old IH dealer when we met at RPRU in Huron in 2014. He told a story of how he went to an IH dealer meeting in their Minneapolis district office in 1975. He was walking down a hallway when he walked by a map of the Upper Midwest. He looked at the map for the state of South Dakota, and saw about a dozen stars on the map. He asked some IH district rep what the stars on the map meant. The rep told him that that was IH's future dealer network...the entire state of South Dakota could be covered with just a dozen dealers(at that time, there were probably over 50 IH dealers in the state of South Dakota). So, IH was already in "dealer reduction mode" in the 1970s. My dealer said that looking at that map made him realize that his days as a dealer were numbered.

May I add to your list? In my area at least.  Domeyer Implement in Ellsworth MN, 1 family owned store. Jaycox Implement has 3 in Nw Ia SW Minnesota. Town and Country Implement with 2 in NW Iowa. 

Had quite a conversation with a guy custom cotton picking at Alabama RPRU.

He wanted a new Case/IH cotton picker.

The local dealer could not get a new one and would not take a trade.

For your info, cotton pickers are made in Minnesota.

Another dealer had one but Case/IH prevented it from being transferred to his local dealer.

The Case/IH was a lot cheaper than the Deere so he wants to stay red.

But Case/IH is making it impossible to buy one.

Dealers are no more, according to him.

They now set the price and you take it or leave it and dance their dance.

Apparently farmers have no clout anymore so corporate tells them what to do and how to act.

Deere's service policy is a prime example.

1 hour ago, FarmerFixEmUp said:

May I add to your list? In my area at least.  Domeyer Implement in Ellsworth MN, 1 family owned store. Jaycox Implement has 3 in Nw Ia SW Minnesota. Town and Country Implement with 2 in NW Iowa. 

Add to that O’Brien Co. Imp and Alta Imp, both single location dealers, both NH franchise but under CNH nonetheless.  Oh, and Lynot in Hawarden, CIH franchise.  Deere’s corporate policy ticks me off.  Remember the JD dealership in Sheldon?? What a crock!

With less and less farms, less and less dealers are needed.  With the bigger is better mentality in everything, that is where we ended up...............What was better?  50 small Diarys with 5 dealers or 3 big dairys and the nearest dealer is counties away to use a local example.  

Years back there was a story in the red power magazine about a county in Iowa that had five IH dealers. We have Burkharts' at Bucyrus Ohio that is a stand alone dealer and they treat every customer like a king. Up until this past year there was Gibbs in Bellevue but they sold out  and farther east is Wellington implement, they are trying to grow they bought Ashland implement a while back. We had the oldest deere dealer in the country here in Tiffin but the mothership jerked their contract a couple years ago, they even had a nice new building and were doing a good business.

1 hour ago, Diesel Doctor said:

Had quite a conversation with a guy custom cotton picking at Alabama RPRU.

He wanted a new Case/IH cotton picker.

The local dealer could not get a new one and would not take a trade.

For your info, cotton pickers are made in Minnesota.

Another dealer had one but Case/IH prevented it from being transferred to his local dealer.

The Case/IH was a lot cheaper than the Deere so he wants to stay red.

But Case/IH is making it impossible to buy one.

Dealers are no more, according to him.

They now set the price and you take it or leave it and dance their dance.

Apparently farmers have no clout anymore so corporate tells them what to do and how to act.

Deere's service policy is a prime example.

how come the farmer didn't just buy the picker from the dealer that had it on his lot? other than not giving the business to his local dealer, he would have at least had the new picker.

28 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

With less and less farms, less and less dealers are needed.  With the bigger is better mentality in everything, that is where we ended up...............What was better?  50 small Diarys with 5 dealers or 3 big dairys and the nearest dealer is counties away to use a local example.  

Yea but all the companies started to force the consolidation of areas down to larger dealers way back in the late 60's and early 70's.

Kinda like here. small JD dealer here small IH dealer there. By 1975 JD and IH had forced these small dealers out and into bigger regional dealerships. As far as the small dairies? Most of the ones here were 15-20 cows on 140-160 acres. Most of these guys couldn't afford new equipment. So they bought used and then bought parts. 

And that was bound to change. I attended 3 different high schools in MN. The first 2 were pit stops so to speak as my dad looked for a farm to buy. All 3 were rural farm area schools where 70% of the kids parents either worked in AG related businesses or farmed. Here I was excited about the idea of living on a farm and the farm kids I knew in school could think of nothing except getting away from the farm. Reason was simple. Those kids had to get up at 5:30, be in the barn at 6 to help feed. Then it was off to the house to clean up, eat and get on the bus. Then it was home, homework and back to the barn. In the summer when the town kids were hanging out at the lake they were in the field cultivating corn or stacking hay. These kids wanted an 8-5 5 day a week job. I only know a couple who stayed and most of those failed by 1985. So lamenting about the small farm and placing blame? Well there were a lot of factors. But it was bound to happen. Can't have 20 small family farms when 18 families don't have someone there to take over.

Rick

new Holland dealer said he could do better just doing service work, he looked out the window and said look at the new Holland banners, we are supposed to replace when the get torn , they last about one month. and cost about 200 dollars each,

Wells Equipment in Litchfield Mi is still a stand alone Case IH dealer along with a bunch of other equipment lines. With that being said i know that someday that'll change. The owner's my Dad's age and him and his wife never had children to pass it to and his siblings and their children never had anything to do with the business so when he's ready that will probably end.

3 hours ago, Gearclash said:

Add to that O’Brien Co. Imp and Alta Imp, both single location dealers, both NH franchise but under CNH nonetheless.  Oh, and Lynot in Hawarden, CIH franchise.  Deere’s corporate policy ticks me off.  Remember the JD dealership in Sheldon?? What a crock!

Lynott Implement in Hawarden lost its cIH franchise a few years ago. They still stock some parts but they buy them through Town & Country. 

Archived