Sign in to follow this  
Allredallday

IH 8100 Road Tractors 1990's Thru early 2000's Info Needed

I have been searching for a good Model 8100 road tractor to use on the farm to pull a grain hopper trailer.  For some reason, I like the looks and options of these trucks.  However, I seem to only find these available in single axel configurations. I rarely find one that is tandem. My question is: Were there not many built with tandem axels? Also, any thoughts or advice about these trucks? 

Thanks!

On 12/19/2019 at 8:09 PM, Allredallday said:

I have been searching for a good Model 8100 road tractor to use on the farm to pull a grain hopper trailer.  For some reason, I like the looks and options of these trucks.  However, I seem to only find these available in single axel configurations. I rarely find one that is tandem. My question is: Were there not many built with tandem axels? Also, any thoughts or advice about these trucks? 

Thanks!

You really need to drive one first . 

we had a bunch of them , I’d put it in the category of a very cheap , low quality ,
difficult to work on truck . With hardly no leg room .

Consider a 9200/9400.  Many fleets ran these and they can be bought very right.  Much better cab.  I would agree the 8100 is built about as cheaply as possible and a very small cab.  Approximately half the engine is in/ under the cab.  

• Thanks 1

Built down to a price for fleet operators. Find a real highway hauler, like Paystar sez.

Not looking for anything fancy. 5 mile round trip the elevator. If i'm going to sit in line, might as well have 800 or 900 bushel with me.

How about the 8600 series?