Jump to content

Horses in the house was routine at our place


Recommended Posts

Yeah. Used to delight in shocking my mom's friends. Rode the pony right across the back porch into the kitchen.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Back in my bachelor days this was a common sight. House was open to everyone. Nov 7, 1987 brand spankin' new wife started the long process of getting my knuckles off the ground and takes credit for turning me into the polished and refined gentleman I am today. Maybe baby calves in the kitchen but no more horses in the house. 😄

2109954776_Shastabackporch.jpg.b89f4c856ea661566a80711ae47ef6a9.jpg

  • Like 3
  • Haha 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, sandhiller said:

Back in my bachelor days this was a common sight. House was open to everyone. Nov 7, 1987 wife started the long process of getting my knuckles off the ground and takes credit for turning me into the polished and refined gentleman I am today. Maybe baby calves in the kitchen but no more horses in the house. 😄

2109954776_Shastabackporch.jpg.b89f4c856ea661566a80711ae47ef6a9.jpg

Yep,1987 a certain future NFR calf roper came sauntering into my bedroom at approximately 4:00am just to say hi. Leading Proud Mary....his calf rope horse.

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, sandhiller said:

Nov 7, 1987 wife started the long process of getting my knuckles off the ground and takes credit for turning me into the polished and refined gentleman I am today. Maybe baby calves in the kitchen but no more horses in the house. 😄

2109954776_Shastabackporch.jpg.b89f4c856ea661566a80711ae47ef6a9.jpg

...Ah,  sandhiller.......you are not telling "clangers " again are you  ???......sigh  :rolleyes:

Mike

 

(its OK  , sandhiller.....1.45 p.m.   Friday ...heading home for a few days.....)

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, mike_newman said:

...Ah,  sandhiller.......you are not telling "clangers " again are you  ???......sigh  :rolleyes:

Mike

 

(its OK  , sandhiller.....1.45 p.m.   Friday ...heading home for a few days.....)

 

 

Well Mike, it's 5:45 on a Thursday afternoon here, just finished supper and am heading into a fire mtg. I'm going to have to see if someone asks you "what the heck is a "clanger" so I know if I resemble that remark or not. 🤪

Have a good weekend Mike, at least your gettin out of the shearer's shack for a bit. 😄

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

.......the above few posts    lead to memories of the old family  Doctor......and his stories.....One particular story about an old couple living  in a little place called "Brightwater"...about 30 miles from our place in those days......The old folk had a small farm, (circa  1940's), on which they farmed with draft horses, during those war years...very common , no doubt in many countries in that era.   Story went that one of the old draft horses got a bit crook....thus old Dr Shearer   was called in to offer advice......Not being a vet ( !!),  and as it was winter time ...the best he came up with was, at least  get it warm..... Off he went....so the "oldies " decided  the best place for the old horse....was inside,......in the spacious living room that old, 12 foot stud houses of that era , usually had.....Inevitably...despite  best efforts of Dr Shearer and the owners.......the draft horse died......this in the living room, remember.    Well the problem was, although the horse  was "shoe-horned ' inside,  via  the French doors......once " rigour mortise "  (sp ?)...had set in...no way was it leaving that way........It, of course had to be dis-membered to be removed......Apparently  the old Doctor was  asked to assist...but  he decided to pass on that request........

It took some time  with a few locals, helping to cart various bits out of the house ........a hugely amusing story , when told by the  Dr........and I guess that story  could have been told in a lot of other rural areas........

Mike

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, mike_newman said:

.......the above few posts    lead to memories of the old family  Doctor......and his stories.....One particular story about an old couple living  in a little place called "Brightwater"...about 30 miles from our place in those days......The old folk had a small farm, (circa  1940's), on which they farmed with draft horses, during those war years...very common , no doubt in many countries in that era.   Story went that one of the old draft horses got a bit crook....thus old Dr Shearer   was called in to offer advice......Not being a vet ( !!),  and as it was winter time ...the best he came up with was, at least  get it warm..... Off he went....so the "oldies " decided  the best place for the old horse....was inside,......in the spacious living room that old, 12 foot stud houses of that era , usually had.....Inevitably...despite  best efforts of Dr Shearer and the owners.......the draft horse died......this in the living room, remember.    Well the problem was, although the horse  was "shoe-horned ' inside,  via  the French doors......once " rigour mortise "  (sp ?)...had set in...no way was it leaving that way........It, of course had to be dis-membered to be removed......Apparently  the old Doctor was  asked to assist...but  he decided to pass on that request........

It took some time  with a few locals, helping to cart various bits out of the house ........a hugely amusing story , when told by the  Dr........and I guess that story  could have been told in a lot of other rural areas........

Mike

"rigor mortis" ,also the term "crook" means ill.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Pukeko said:

"rigor mortis" ,also the term "crook" means ill.

but what about "clanger"? any connection to the Gong Show?

Link to post
Share on other sites

There was an old bachelor lived a few miles from us. He had one of those 70's kitchen tables with the skinny metal legs. Well he kept a flock of sheep and had a few inside all the time, needless to say there were piles of "the stuff" around each leg. He hauled a steer into the basement once when it was sick, well the poor thing died and bloated on him and would no longer fit through the door. Out came the saw and away he went.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, mike_newman said:

.......the above few posts    lead to memories of the old family  Doctor......and his stories.....One particular story about an old couple living  in a little place called "Brightwater"...about 30 miles from our place in those days......The old folk had a small farm, (circa  1940's), on which they farmed with draft horses, during those war years...very common , no doubt in many countries in that era.   Story went that one of the old draft horses got a bit crook....thus old Dr Shearer   was called in to offer advice......Not being a vet ( !!),  and as it was winter time ...the best he came up with was, at least  get it warm..... Off he went....so the "oldies " decided  the best place for the old horse....was inside,......in the spacious living room that old, 12 foot stud houses of that era , usually had.....Inevitably...despite  best efforts of Dr Shearer and the owners.......the draft horse died......this in the living room, remember.    Well the problem was, although the horse  was "shoe-horned ' inside,  via  the French doors......once " rigour mortise "  (sp ?)...had set in...no way was it leaving that way........It, of course had to be dis-membered to be removed......Apparently  the old Doctor was  asked to assist...but  he decided to pass on that request........

It took some time  with a few locals, helping to cart various bits out of the house ........a hugely amusing story , when told by the  Dr........and I guess that story  could have been told in a lot of other rural areas........

Mike

Reminds me of the scene in Animal House with Nedimeyer's horse in dean Wormer's office!

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, MTO said:

Nothing wrong with that.

I may soon be bunking with my horse too...

 

14 hours ago, oldtanker said:

I doubt that.......horses have standards too you know......🤣🤣🤣

 

Rick

We are in a cold spell and there isn't much heat when sharing a doghouse with a yorkie!-_-   B)

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, ny bill o said:

but what about "clanger"? any connection to the Gong Show?

.:).....well, Bill, ...when sandhiller was  so  eloquently   extolling his virtues........."polished and refined "   gentleman, I believe  he  said......I had a briefing coughing fit, that yet another "quick-eze"   was able to settle it down......this at the preposterous    thought of  this old Nebraska   Cattle man  achieving those giddy   heights......It is just there  was an element  of doubt in my mind about this miraculous   transformation from  the "knuckle   dragging " to  the "polished and refined "  part......this despite Mrs Sandhiller's best   endeavours....which , of course, must be applauded........I am sure she would have done her best...but........

Thus a light hearted comment     .....essentially expressing    some degree of doubt on the whole matter........A "clanger " indeed :rolleyes::rolleyes:...(as Ian Beale   provided further detail...)

Mike

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...