5088 Tire Size

66 Series Farmer

Just purchased a 5088 with single rear tires. How tall of tires can i fit on a 5088? Do a fair amount of road travel so would like to go to at least 42 if not 46 inch tall for speed, plus i spray and side dress so would like to go 14 wide. Do they make a 14 x 42 tire? I can't seem to find them but haven't had a chance to talk to my tire guy either. I plan to have duals as well for planting. I have looked at step up rims but see some talk about the plated rims that bolt on. Let me know everyones thoughts. Thanks!

14.9r46 I the same basic height as an 18-42 and will fit easily. My concern is that you would most likely want duals for ride quality and traction/flotation reasons

4 minutes ago, Matt Kirsch said:

18.4R42's aren't much if any larger in diameter than 20.8R38's.

Actually though the same height basically. On 4x4 the  same combination of a front tire will use either 2038 or 1842 Rears

3 hours ago, MNredfarmer said:

This is my 5088 with 18.4x42's. The tractor is still slow, like 20.5 mph - 21 mph top end.

Mine crawls on the road on 18.4x38's................Needed 18.4's for row work and at the time didn't want to buy step up rims, dual rims and tires to go to 42's.  It works for my uses.  14.9x46's work great for side dressing and spraying row crops, with that said, for anything else they are horrible, even with duals, once they start spinning that little foot print doesn't take long to dig holes.  Most of the tractors around here that went into tomato fields wore them in the past...........with higher hp tractors, bigger harvesters and planters, and SP sprayers, I can't think of anyone that still runs them in that application.

1 hour ago, Thesd5488 said:

Not sure didn’t look at the tach that was with a 1200 bu spreader on it coming in empty it’s set for about 3400rpm top but I don’t go there unless I need it for a o sh t moment 

?

my 5088 has 18438 michelins on it - 20mph @ 2650 rpms - i run it at 2100 which is about 15mph, i run 2100 90% of the time when roading it or using it, dont need to run it any harder than that for what i am doing it handles it all just fine 

Archived