1566IH

4 fin vs 8 fin Water pump

Anyone know the difference in flow gpm wise from a 4 fin water pump to an 8 fin? Which engines have which pumps?

The 4 fin pump was used on non turbo 400 series engines. The 8 fin was used on the turbo motors

No idea about the flow differences

I only stocked the 8 fin impeller pumps when I was in parts. Price was the same and it fit them all.  Like the 400 series oil pump. Only stocked the 1" wide gerotor pump for the turbo'd engine. In my mind more flow doesn't hurt. 

• Like 2

Thanks I always saw people talking about 4 vs 8 fin pumps never knew the application differences.

I always installed 8 fins pumps to move more water.

I have allways installed the pumps with 8 finned impellers .

Had a customer some years ago the had an open station 1466 and he found a cab for it and put in on . He brought it for me to do some other work on it and mentioned that he was never able to get the heater to put out very much if any heat . Engine temp was warming up fine and the thermostat was fine, checked the plumbing for the heat core and the heater hoses were on correctly , checked the heater control vave and it was operating correctly . Pulled the heater return hose off and started the engine and very little coolant out . Checked waterpump bearing and it was good . Decided to pull the waterpump and was perfectly fine but had the 4 finned impeller . Replaced the perfectly good waterpump with a pump with the 8 finned impeller and his problem was solved , he stated the heater would cook him after that . Not enough flow to the heater core with 4 finned impeller .

On 12/22/2019 at 5:18 PM, 88power said:

Can you even get a four fin anymore?

yes I accidently ordered one from Hy-Capacity a couple of months ago

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1