troy dairy milk price?

hello troy, was reading bitty.s 7140 post and came across your comment about milk price, I wonder whats been going on the last week or so to cause such a drop in the price of cheese, barrels must of dropped over 50 cents in a weeks time, well it was good while it lasted that month or so. as my older neighbor said recently this older generation 60 years plus, we are going to become dinasoars ,

• Like 1

Market manipulation is my thought

• Like 1

Dropped 53c and futures for early months off 50 to 70.  I am with Bitty......some one with 0 skin in the game is making money making it swing.  End ofnweek report i read said some of highest swings/volatility they ever seen

• Sad 1

As an example of stupidity or possible market manipulation there's the article out there about about a Land O Lakes truck driving from California to Pennsylvania with a load of butter. Carlisle Pennsylvania there is a Land O Lakes butter plant. We SUPPOSEDLY have a surplus of milk here. Why are they shipping butter to within the same state as where our plant is (to make butter) from the opposite coasts of the country? 

• Confused 2

This crap is happening everywhere, processors are making money and the producers still get shafted. 
Small Co-op here with 26 producers (ranging from 50-1000 head) got notified that Kraft was not renewing contract effective Jan 1 so now alot of guys are trying to find a home for their milk in next 2 weeks. 
Alot of volatility in the market 

• Sad 3

This topic is of pretty great interest to me since my employer is in the business of dairy cows.  I try to keep up but with having no dairy experience, I get lost in numbers, 100weight, butter fat, etc..  I hope that 2020 is a better year for your dairy guys!

I wasn't going to sign up for the dairy margin insurance as all the experts were claiming milk should hold well above the insurance levels, well still got 3 days to think about it, they already extended it one week. still a lot of herds going to the sale barn and I have heard that sometimes one half goes to kill, parlor freestall cows milkinf first part of lactation is whats selling

47 minutes ago, pt756 said:

I wasn't going to sign up for the dairy margin insurance as all the experts were claiming milk should hold well above the insurance levels, well still got 3 days to think about it, they already extended it one week. still a lot of herds going to the sale barn and I have heard that sometimes one half goes to kill, parlor freestall cows milkinf first part of lactation is whats selling

Get the insurance!!!!  At least you won't lose so bad and if it goes up your good too.

Wonder what would happen if the govt was 0 into dairy.  No FMMO and USDA poor reports.  Be horrible for a bit then settle?  Or probably retailers take even more advantage

• Confused 1
1 hour ago, TroyDairy said:

Get the insurance!!!!  At least you won't lose so bad and if it goes up your good too.

Wonder what would happen if the govt was 0 into dairy.  No FMMO and USDA poor reports.  Be horrible for a bit then settle?  Or probably retailers take even more advantage

When the Gov shut down earlier this year the price of wheat was trending up 60-70 cents/bushel as soon as the Gov came out with new market report the price started dropping.

• Sad 2
7 hours ago, TroyDairy said:

Wonder what would happen if the govt was 0 into dairy.  No FMMO and USDA poor reports.  Be horrible for a bit then settle? 

That applies to all of us in farming. Grain Farming, Raising Cattle, even the contract growers in swine and poultry or wheat independents are left in swine as well as dairy.

• Like 1

I look around our area in central wis, who is left, many single family guys have just said the heck with it, however here and there the 1500 cow guy adds another 1000 so nothing is lost, not much different then a single family trying to operate a tractor dealership, we have about 2 left in our area, one is new Holland the other is still case ih,