Sign in to follow this  
Sledgehammer

From plowing to pulling

They went from plowing to pulling out in California today. Tony will be along to add commentary.

• Like 5

Sure look like a fun day and everyone enjoying. Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Wes806 said:

Sure look like a fun day and everyone enjoying. Thanks for sharing.

Today was basically devoted to pulling 

Nick had fried chicken lunch & salads and pulls started at 1PM

i cought a few on video . Was a great day for pulling , visiting , telling lies. 
first pic : how many guys recognize an old spike tooth drag horrow? This one has cotton lint and stalks between the spikes .

the nice 766 belongs to young James Costa , he has done most of work on it with his Dad’s supervision. 
there were many pullers some real smokers . Guys and gals sitting on tail gates enjoying the smoke , sound , and Dust , comoraderie.     I could not help but think , how lucky are we out here in Deplorable country to still be able to enjoy great clean fun ! How much longer before some activist  tries to take this away . ? 
D1F86FED-B2CC-4E6D-B9CB-C28EE2BB9DB5.thumb.jpeg.178198569c7ee19c4821083f0da505e9.jpeg1F87EDE8-8843-4617-8ECC-A09C988AC896.thumb.jpeg.8700722edb6bae3cb40c1a59e2750c6e.jpeg

tony

• Like 1

Thank You Sledgehammer for helping me post these videos.

Nick , lucked out having two good days in mid December to host a plow day /pull day

Today Sun. 12/15/19  Started at noon with fried chicken lunch with the trimmings.

Sled was furnished from Brian Massetti  of Madera Ca. about 80 miles North.

Guys pulled all afternoon till 4;30 , there were two smokers that put on a good show , One a 1150 Massey Ferguson with a hot Perkins V8.

I was very happy to be part of a group of guys that enjoy vintage equipment,  Noise, Dust, Smoke , Grease ! 

Took a picture of this drag spike tooth harrow wondering ,How many remember or still use one. BTW that's cotton lint and stocks between teeth.

The 766 in pic. belongs to young James Costa JR and he restored this girl into a farm stock puller himself with supervision from Dad , James is 14 .

Tony

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Tonyinca said:

how many guys recognize an old spike tooth drag horrow?

Nice video's. Thanks Tony for taking them and Hammer for posting them. 

A few guys still use the harrows for dragging "chips" in the hay meadows here. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What a great group of friends you have, Tony! Good food, good friends and great equipment. It just don't get much better than that.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

i cant get over how soft your soil is out there, thats pretty amazing

I remember pulling a 5 section JD model behind a JD 'B' and later an Allis WD back in the 60's and 70's!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, searcyfarms said:

i cant get over how soft your soil is out there, thats pretty amazing

That soil was basically reclaimed Alkali, Sage brush decades ago .

Been deep ripped many times , has had good water to leach out By-carbonates,  Family had dairy for many years so much manure and crop rotations.

It was plowing good ,however, it was coming up little clods at 12" from dry and plow pan.

That ground will grow anything but its really suited for Walnut, Almond,  Cherry, and Pistachios  orchards , He happens to have good piece in Cherries  .

They have good water quality in their area.

Tony

• Like 1

17 hours ago, 2+2 Guy said:

What a great group of friends you have, Tony! Good food, good friends and great equipment. It just don't get much better than that.

Yes ,  I have found that vintage tractor guys to be tremendous friends .

Not just here in the Valley but all you friends that I have made from the Mid-West and met at Red Power shows and Rantoul .

Thank you for helping me keep my faith in humanity .

Tony

• Like 1