Sign in to follow this  
1480x3

Poly for 1063

Yesterday, 2 hrs into 1st day of corn harvest, put the right end metal snout into a woodchuck mound and folded it under. Bought this head new in 89 and tin was flawless till this. First time I have done  this in nearly 45 years of shelling corn. I will turn 60 in a couple weeks and intend on not getting another head. Have thought of changing to poly before but now may be the time. Thought I would start with the ends and do a couple rows a year till done. Leaning towards the GVL from Worthington Ag.  Good / bad  experiences out there ?  The " jack knife " style is cheaper, seems like it should cost more, Is there some reason, is it inferior ?  Weak hinges, other issues ?  Nice that it takes less barn space though. Took about 5 minutes of prying, beating, pulling, and pushing to get straight enough to finish day but it is very UGLY.  On 3rd set of knives, 5th set of chains. Never been in a gearbox or nose cone. So GVL, CIH, or other poly options ? what's your thoughts ?

Find a good used metal one there better than poly the poly has problem with static  electricity holding shucks on the head and a good polished metal head will pick up down corn better in my opinion 

Bought plastic from worthington last year. Had 3 Case IH poly points that I feel fit better than the other 2 more clearance between them. No way I want to go back to steel. Everything slides nicer and it’s quieter! Built some end augers also.

E4287ECB-D588-4377-B4EE-FA837B0F1D9F.jpeg

Get the polytin snouts from rockvalley iowa

20190915_101031.jpg

22 minutes ago, 89vmax said:

Get the polytin snouts from rockvalley iowa

20190915_101031.jpg

Do they  "jack knife" for storage ?  Not that it's a deal breaker, just wondering.  Saw them online but no pricing on the site I was on .

Mine dont but you could easily make them do that I may try to make something up this summer

3 hours ago, 89vmax said:

Mine dont but you could easily make them do that I may try to make something up this summer

Thanks for the info & the pm, don't know how to reply with a pm. Have tried unsuccessfully a few times so gave up

Did mine with Polytin snouts about 5 years ago. Would not want to go back to steel. I have the jacknife style snouts

1 hour ago, ChrisNY said:

Did mine with Polytin snouts about 5 years ago. Would not want to go back to steel. I have the jacknife style snouts

Found right fender & snout at Leesburg, a Worthington ag location an hour from me. Will pick them up tomorrow. Am going with the jackknife style. They have some centers in stock so might get a couple to get started.

5 hours ago, 1480x3 said:

Found right fender & snout at Leesburg, a Worthington ag location an hour from me. Will pick them up tomorrow. Am going with the jackknife style. They have some centers in stock so might get a couple to get started.

Would it be more cost effective to buy enough for the whole head rather than piecing it together?  They are very easy to install.

27 minutes ago, tractorholic said:

Would it be more cost effective to buy enough for the whole head rather than piecing it together?  They are very easy to install.

I believe it is about $400 cheaper to buy the "6 row kit" than to piece it together not taking any price increases into account that may come along. The jackknife style adds $300 to $400 as well to the kit price.     $3200 for regular kit, $3500 for jackknife kit, $3900 for jackknife pieced together + price increases but they do have a couple 10% off sales every year also.